• facebook
  • twitter

Photo

Oil Light Flashing - 16v... Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Do we have any VAG Mechanics on here.........

My Oil light keeps intermittantely flashing and beeping, but generally only when i'm moving, if the engine is just idling, its fine.

Checked Fluids - Fine Still Happening
Noticed a Rocker Cover Gaskett Leak - Fixed, checked oil level - Still Happening
Just replaced the Oil Pressure Switch - Still Happening (The one on the right hand side, level with the front cam under the distributer cap cover)

Anybody got any idea's ?

How many oil pressure switches are there on 16v's ???

Cheers,

Scott

#2 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00
  • Topic Starter

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

Anybody ???? sad.gif

#3 Guest_G60KG_*

Guest_G60KG_*

• Joined --

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (sc00byd00byd00 @ Friday 1st May 2009 - 9:38am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody ???? sad.gif

you need to note if it only starts beeping and flashing once you accelerate over 2500 rpm if this is the case it is likely to be your low oil pressure sender.

just let the car idle for a bit then hold the revs at 3k and see if it starts beeping.

it is likely to be oil pump if it was at low revs.

#4 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00
  • Topic Starter

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (G60KG @ Friday 1st May 2009 - 2:26pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody ???? sad.gif

you need to note if it only starts beeping and flashing once you accelerate over 2500 rpm if this is the case it is likely to be your low oil pressure sender.

just let the car idle for a bit then hold the revs at 3k and see if it starts beeping.

Thanks for that. Just out of interest, how many Oil Pressue senders does a Mk4 16v have ? One has already been replaced

i'd been told previously that it might be the Oil Pump, but somebody else has just tole me that it could also be a blocked oil strainer ???

No idea what the hell one of those is ?

#5 Guest_G60KG_*

Guest_G60KG_*

• Joined --

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (sc00byd00byd00 @ Friday 1st May 2009 - 2:30pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (G60KG @ Friday 1st May 2009 - 2:26pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody ???? sad.gif

Thanks for that. Just out of interest, how many Oil Pressue senders does a Mk4 16v have ? One has already been replaced

i'd been told previously that it might be the Oil Pump, but somebody else has just tole me that it could also be a blocked oil strainer ???

No idea what the hell one of those is ?

not sure but try what I said then you can figure it out from there, sender is the first thing to try as it is the cheapest and easiest to replace (roughly 9)

#6 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00
  • Topic Starter

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH !!

Garage has had me car a whole week, i've had to get lifts into work.

So now have tried.............

Engine Flush........... followed by oil and filter change

Oil Pressure Sender changed

Sump off and Oil Strainer cleaned

Oil Pump changed.

Oil light still coming on over 2500rpm

Only diagnosis so far is that after pressure testing the car, its producing between 5 and 7bar where as I believe it should be only 2 ???????????????

REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE NOW !!!!

Please dont tell me its the crank, may aswell get a new engine for that !

#7 tobyk

tobyk

You gas me? I gas you!!!

• 13,634 posts
  • Joined 05-March 07

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

Pressure testing? As in compression test? That sounds low rather than high. Or do you mean oil pressure?

I would have thought if you actually have an oil pressure issue the engine would have shat itself before now, definately sounds like oil pressure sender still, even though it's been changed.

#8 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00
  • Topic Starter

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

This is the Oil Pressure Sensor Switch I changed, does anybody know if there is more then one on 6N 16v's

#9 Capamaru

Capamaru

The Voice of Reason

• 232 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (sc00byd00byd00 @ Saturday 9th May 2009 - 9:51pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the Oil Pressure Sensor Switch I changed, does anybody know if there is more then one on 6N 16v's

Mate polo 6n 1.4 16v has only one oil sensor where you noted on the photo. 6n 1.0 8v has two so thats why you probably got confused. If the oil light is still flashing then it is either the Pressure sencor (which you changed), oil pump (very highly unlikely on this motor!), or your instruments (tacho) has gone banana .... I would suggest checking your tacho and also check the car's ECU on vag com. Have you changed the car's oils and oil's filter? A blocked oil filter can also be causing that.

#10 sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00
  • Topic Starter

• 389 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Capamaru @ Tuesday 12th May 2009 - 9:15am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate polo 6n 1.4 16v has only one oil sensor where you noted on the photo. 6n 1.0 8v has two so thats why you probably got confused. If the oil light is still flashing then it is either the Pressure sencor (which you changed), oil pump (very highly unlikely on this motor!), or your instruments (tacho) has gone banana .... I would suggest checking your tacho and also check the car's ECU on vag com. Have you changed the car's oils and oil's filter? A blocked oil filter can also be causing that.

Cheers, cars still in the garage and after a weekends full of searching and posting on other forums, some guy told me that he thought it might be the clocks.

Oil Pressure Sensor has been changed, engine flush and oil / filter been changed, oil pump been changed (and timing belt whilst it was off).

Changing the clocks is next, but at a price of 198 exchange part only at VW........... GUTTED !

#11 Capamaru

Capamaru

The Voice of Reason

• 232 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (sc00byd00byd00 @ Tuesday 12th May 2009 - 11:19am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Capamaru @ Tuesday 12th May 2009 - 9:15am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers, cars still in the garage and after a weekends full of searching and posting on other forums, some guy told me that he thought it might be the clocks.

Oil Pressure Sensor has been changed, engine flush and oil / filter been changed, oil pump been changed (and timing belt whilst it was off).

Changing the clocks is next, but at a price of 198 exchange part only at VW........... GUTTED !

I would suggest searching for a used one on ebay for a match better price or at least checking with another one (from a friend's car) to see if the problem persists before going on and taking a new tacho. Was there anything wrong with the oil pump when you removed it? Was it intact?

Club Polo and the Club Polo website are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Volkswagen AG or any of it's worldwide subsidiaries or associates.
Copyright © Club Polo 2013