• facebook
  • twitter

Removing rear light cluster, side repeaters & front indicators

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KinkyKel_*

Guest_KinkyKel_*

• Joined --

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

Spotted a Polo in the local scrappies & i fancy the parts i just mentioned.

Wanting to know for 100% sure on how to get these parts out without damaging them - the tool/tools needed & what have you.

The place only has 1 Polo, so don't want to just head in & wham bam oops i bust something & then have to wait on another Polo arriving in.

Had a quick look around the forum, but couldn't find anything

thanks in advance

#2 jason11

jason11

**SOLD**

• 3,141 posts
  • Joined 20-September 06

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

side repeaters just slot out try not to break the lugs tho, rear lights I'm sure are held on with just 3 10mm nuts and fronts cant remember sorry

#3 Guest_Rich9804_*

Guest_Rich9804_*

• Joined --

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

If you aren't too woried about the wing on the doner car you can just lever the sides out with a flat screwdriver at one end and then they slide out.

The rears are held on by three nuts inside the rear wing, can be quite awkward, esp. if you're in a scrappy.

The fronts are nice and simple. One little bolt into the headlight and they just pull straight forwards out of the car.

Hope that helps.
-Rich

#4 Guest_KinkyKel_*

Guest_KinkyKel_*

• Joined --

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

The b/f's just been out with a torch, as i leave for work & get back in the dark

Said the rear lights same as you - nuts, but he only saw 2.

Imagine the side repeaters will just be out with a little bit of prizing.

Front lights, he said from what he could see, it looked like the whole headlight needed to come out to get at the side indicator & they looked like they were held in by star screws

1 thing i forgot to say....

I've got an R-plate Polo & these parts will be coming off a W-plate. Is it the same way, same tools to get them off & they will fit my car perfectly fine, or not?

#5 Kev_83

Kev_83

• 157 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

Just been back from the scraps & sourced a few

got both rear light clusters (when i got home i noticed one had a bit of a scuff graze on it, but not too bad). One of the nuts was being a bit awkward, but it came off anyway.

Declared them & had to pay up 10 each, so 20.

Got the drivers side repeater as it's clear & she wants clear ones instead of orange uns. Prized it out without damaging it & small enough to pocket biggrin.gif Went to the passenger side & it was totally smashed sad.gif

passenger front indicator was totally smashed also (most the passenger side was a mess). The drivers side didn't look all that clever & on top of that it was full of water also. As i couldn't bag a pair, i had to leave it.

Just have to wait for another coming in as i think the remaining parts should fit in my pockets well enough

#6 Kev_83

Kev_83

• 157 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

Got one to ask you guys.....

some of the bulbs were taken by the time i'd got there & so i didn't bother nabbing the remaining ones.
I'm wondering this ... are the bulbs any different with these covers?
* The rear clusters off the donor car are all red as opposed to her standard ones where the indicator pane is orange, reverse pane is white
* Side repeater is clear, whereas on her car at the moment, it's orange.

Are the bulbs any different on the donor car (e.g. coated orange for indicator) & we'll need to purchase appropriate bulbs, or will the standard bulbs work fine through the new light covers?

Can't check now as the g/f's at work.

#7 Guest_Rich9804_*

Guest_Rich9804_*

• Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

I presume you have collected the bulb holders too? As it sounds like you have the mk5 clusters.

Have a search for mk5 clusters on mk4, or something to that effect, it gets asked loads, and there are some good guides about smile.gif

#8 Kev_83

Kev_83

• 157 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

you're jesting me?

nope, i just got the rear clusters off of an X-plate (dunno what MK that is), didn't get the blub holders, as i was under the impression that whatever MK the g/f's car is ('98 R-plate) would work fine in the newly sourced clusters??

Don't tell me i need to get hold of the holders now sad.gif

#9 Guest_VW_Technik_*

Guest_VW_Technik_*

• Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yeah mate lol, if your putting mk5 (6n2) rear lights on a mk4 (6n) then you need the bulb holders and then they need a slight sand down on the corners

#10 Kev_83

Kev_83

• 157 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Not actually owning a Volkswagen myself, i'm a bit shock.gif about all this number & letter malarkey (6n & what have you) lol.

Beginning to wish i'd known this stuff BEFORE going down. Well, actually, before PAYING for them. Oh well.

Do the side repeaters fit in without any alterations? Just a straight swap?

I need to wait on a second donor car anyway - because i couldn't get the parts mentioned above. While on that, as you've mentioned the rear's and i've asked about the sides .... how about the front indicators - are they just a straight swap?

And while i'm here might as well ask - exactly how much of a sanding down do the lights need? Hmm

#11 Guest_Rich9804_*

Guest_Rich9804_*

• Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

Unlucky mate sad.gif

More bad news - the sides have a diffent bulb holder IIRC, not too sure about the fronts, but I'd immagine they are different too!

If you get the bulb holders for the rear lights you've collected, then it's a fairly simple re-wire job, and if you don't want to sand them down you don't have to, but they don't quite fit flush (hardly noticeable)

mk4 / 6n 1994-1999
mk5 / 6n2 2000-2002 I think anyway.

#12 Kev_83

Kev_83

• 157 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

Oh dear, what an unexpected pain in the ars3, especially as i've got to wait on another donor car to source more bits.

Not liking the line about re-wiring because as well as no mechanical know-how, i have even less of a clue about wiring & electrics lol.

Is there any sort of guide? What's the process, got to start cutting wires & doing a bit of this & that, or what?

what EXACTLY am i going to need off the next donor car i find, so that we'll then be in a position to actually take some proper steps. lol

#13 Guest_KinkyKel_*

Guest_KinkyKel_*

• Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

Cheers Lads,

did a searcha need found a guide to fitting them. Just need to get the bulb holders now.

Club Polo and the Club Polo website are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Volkswagen AG or any of it's worldwide subsidiaries or associates.
Copyright © Club Polo 2013