Kwijibo_coupe's Mk3 GT Coupe

kwijibo_coupe

Model: Polo GT

Engine: PY Conversion with a Garrett T25 Turbo set to 14psi, GT Inlet, 51mm throttle body, Ford FMIC, G40 injectors, Bailey BOV, Custom down pipe and exhaust.

Suspension: Gaz coilovers all round, Stage 2 PPP subframe, G40 rose jointed TCA's with nylon bushed inners, G40 rose jointed steering arms, Nylon bushes on the rear beam, bolt on strut brace at the rear.

Brakes: Converted to G40 brakes up front, Mk2 Golf GTI rear disc conversion with Mk4 Golf calipers on the back, Goodridge braided brake hoses, ATE Type 200 Race quality brake fluid.

Wheels and Tyres: BBS Mahles 13" x6j ET13 wrapped in 165/55/13 with 15mm spacers on the back. For the track, BBS RAs 13" x 5.5j ET38 painted orange wrapped in Yoko A048 Mediums 175/60/13 with 20mm spacers on the back.

Exterior Styling: Clear indicators and side repeaters, German LHD taillight on passenger side to delete the reverse light, sticker bombed petrol flap, couple other subtle stickers on the rear windows, arch trims and bump strips removed with standard Polo arch spats on the rear.

Interior Styling: Drivers seat is a Corbeau bucket seat with TRS harnesses, G40 passenger seat, gauges installed in place of the stereo, stripped out rear, battery in the boot, spare wheel well cut out and plated over.

ICE: Boost!!!

To Do List: Have lots of fun!!

Comments:

Well as some of you may know, thanks to Liz at the Polo show 2013 I bought a lovely little GT Coupe to get me back into more regular Poloing.

Most of my recent Polo stuff has just been little updates here and there with the G40 which was getting a bit of a ball ache, but I thought I'd re-kindle the Polo love and lucky Liz had this wonderful honest little GT for sale.

Here she is at the show after a wash and polish to see what she was all about.

IMG_1167_zps5e55e901.jpg

So after the long 500+ mile drive home back to sunny cold miserable Peterhead I couldn't wait to start the modding.

First on the list of tasks was a bit less 4X4 ride height and more of a Dub height. Plus some SMD LED side light bulbs because I like them.

IMG_1190_zps9169a9df.jpg

Front wasn't low enough so I dropped here a bit more.

Then I decided to get a bit more serious and see how clean she really was, so I took her into the garage and I thought I'd be polite first of all and introduce her to the G40. So here they are on their first encounter. G40 still very much a work in progress.

IMG_1199_zps1765a0c4.jpg
IMG_1198_zps6cbb2921.jpg

Then the front end came off to make way for the mods I had planned

photo2_zps907ec755.jpg

Then I got a bit carried away and this happened

photo6_zpse8aef753.jpg
photo3_zps9e0fe5ec.jpg
photo5_zps91e4abd6.jpg

So the engine bay got a good clean and so did the engine, and whoever had been there before me seemed to have fun with a lot of orange paint

photo4_zps72d761c8.jpg

No pictures of the mods I performed at the stage but the list is a follows:

G40 inlet manifold
4 branch exhaust manifold
stainless single box system with de-cat
Polo Ace chip
G-Ladersite ARB Blocks

So I got her all put back together, took me from beginning to end about 24 hours all in which I thought wasn't too bad.

Here she is tonight looking hot

IMG_1228_zpsce85a705.jpg
IMG_1230_zpsa6dffc04.jpg

I took the GT trims off and I plan on painting the steels a nice gloss black....but still undecided on the wheel front so this may chop and change a few times.

That's her for now, she goes and sounds much better with the mods especially the new exhaust, next on the horizon are some general wear and tear items that I found needed done then the modding will continue.

Comments welcome

Steven

• Like 1

Looks awesome, and very clean too!

How much is it lowered by?

And will you be taking it to the scottish meet?

awww i feel all emotional! wow you've certainly been busy, she looks great! :-D , i'm so pleased you are getting on so well with her and have given her lots of love.

did you look at engine and gearbox codes while you were there? i'm sure she goes much better and is happier with the mods, that exhaust was crying out to be changed, good thing about an early one as well is not having to worry about emissions.

I thoroughly enjoyed having her and i'm glad she's being so well looked after and got a new lease of life :-)

keep us updated

Liz

I'm having a great time with her Liz, she does go really well for a GT.

I completely forgot to check out the gearbox code but it must be an 8P as the gears are so long, but she pulls them very well now with the new mods.

She is down by 60mm all round I think. But I was thinking about taking the rear up a notch.

She will be at the next Scottish meet, might have new wheels on her by then.

Well the car has had a couple washes now and each time the steel wheels just let it down.

I don't like the trims on and I can't really afford to spend money on buying tyres for the alloys I have lined up to go on.

So instead I took a trip to Halfords armed with a trade card and spent £15 on some paint and set to work.

Before picture

null_zps31983140.jpg

Sanded and masked

null_zps7cb61644.jpg

Couple of coats of paint

null_zps481a9961.jpg

null_zpse2be4576.jpg

Tomorrow I'll finish them off with a couple coats of lacquer then its a long 24 hour wait to see how they look on the car.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures just now, using the iPhone to upload pictures is a lot easier than the hassle I have to go through with the DSLR shots haha.

Well I got the wheels lacquered and finally got them on the car.

What a difference, I think it makes the car look so much cleaner....might even keep them on for a while.

null_zps32b6f82e.jpg

null_zps450f231f.jpg

Off work next week so hoping to give it a good clean and polish and take some DSLR shots as the iPhone camera really doesn't do the car justice.

• Like 1

Phew.... for a moment there i thought the G40 had gone bye bye.

Didnt realise it was up for sale but for most of the weekend i didnt realise there was things happening around me :lol:

Looking good anyway :)

The G40 will never go, it's currently undergoing some major surgery.

I'll have some updates in that build thread next week :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well there has been a bit of an accident.

I took the GT into the Garage on friday night just to give it a check over etc.

null_zpsab802520.jpg

I must have blacked out after that and this next thing I know it's 01:30 on Saturday morning and this had happened!!

null_zpsc37ba41f.jpg

Ooops, it seems the GT has the heart of a G40 in her just now!

Don't do that to us! Scared me there for a second thought something terrible had happened lol.

She looks great and I'm sure she will enjoy being a g40! As long as we see the g at some point

She will only be a G40 test bed really.

Since I've just rebuilt the head of the PY lump I thought it best to test it in a car that is road legal.

She is running fine so far though, need to get a chip made up to suit the mods but apart from that its just a few little niggles that I'm finding.

The 3F lump is getting a full service including belts etc while it is out so pictures of that to follow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some more Poloing progress.

Been looking for a while now into doing a rear disc conversion, the other week I broke a Mk2 Golf GTI for spares and thought what better time to start collecting parts for the conversion. So parts that I have so far are:

Rear stub axles - Golf GTI

Rear caliper carriers - Golf GTI

Rear calipers - Ibiza GTI

Brand new drilled and grooved rear discs, pads and bearings - free from a friend :)

Handbrake cable sleeve - eBay - Just Caddy's was the seller

So before I drop the rear end of the GT and do the conversion I thought I'd trail fit it onto the G40 since it was sitting in the garage anyway.

So ugly old rusty looking drum

null_zps28de43e9.jpg

Bearing cap off

null_zpsffd16d7c.jpg

Split pin removed

null_zps85cef7f6.jpg

Removed the nut, wasn't tight which is good

null_zpsd8a39ebb.jpg

Small bearing out

null_zpsff405640.jpg

Drum off to reveal horrible old shoes, which I just hate.

null_zps8ada2efa.jpg

Hand brake cable removed from the shoes then the whole backing plate could come off the car

null_zps870a6b1a.jpg

New stub axle on to accept discs :)

null_zps23bedde1.jpg

Trail fit of the carrier, no issues

null_zps8caaaafc.jpg

Disc and bearings on

null_zps420a72a6.jpg

Carrier fitted and pads installed

null_zpscb512789.jpg

Caliper fitted, looks so much better

null_zps7ea54c93.jpg

Plenty of clearance too

null_zps4662e83e.jpg

So next task is to remove everything and get the carriers and calipers nicely painted

Figure out how to remount the handbrake cable and make up new lines to go between the original Polo flexi hose and the new caliper flexi hose.

Hopefully get those sorted soon so I can fit the setup to the GT and road test it with rear discs :)

• 4 months later...

So, update time.

Since the arrival or my 'donor' G40 it means the GT can stay converted to a G40.

So that means a few odds and ends need tidying up.

But first some general maintainance was required.

Since the conversion the supercharger had started making odd rough noises and the gearbox had taken a dislike to its oil.

So the super charger was swapped out for the other supercharger I stole off the other G40 for now so I can rebuild the first one.

null_zpsee5ec0a3.jpg

null_zpsc6fc2019.jpg

null_zps453f3e4f.jpg

null_zps3be15f43.jpg

null_zpsd9d33b57.jpg

Next was the turn of the gearbox swap.

I decided to use the box that came with the GT lump. The thoughts were is was an 8P box, but I have since discovered it is a DXK gearbox off a 2001 Ibiza 1.4.

Anyway it fits and it is a good box so let the swap begin.

null_zps78b03529.jpg

Old leaky box

null_zpsd7df3c2a.jpg

Good shiney orangey red box

null_zps1a686150.jpg

Next job is to figure out what I'm doing with this

null_zps8097bd42.jpg

And get it back on the car.

Also a few other things planned too.

More updates to follow soon.

Look what I bought!!

null_zps3c2de0ef.jpg

Came with these!!

null_zpsc1309acd.jpg

Then I did this!!

null_zpsc249d1db.jpg

Modification was then required!!

null_zps300eb44d.jpg

Then it looked like this!!

null_zpsc0581748.jpg

Now it sounds like this!!

th_7A186512-0031-4CDD-BB4A-89FD78835D5C-

Best mod I've done in ages!! It's like normal G smiles x10 haha.

Woke up this morning and to my surprise it was a really nice day.

Since I was lucky enough to be off work I thought I'd treat the GT to a little wash, also got to try out some Demon Shine snow foam like stuff I bought.

null_zpse0d8994f.jpg

null_zpsd50c357b.jpg

After it's wash it was still nice out so I decided to stop messing about with the iPhone camera and get the proper camera out to play.

Here are the results.

DSC_0118_zps91d1918f.jpg

DSC_0123_zpsfeea21bc.jpg

DSC_0126_zps58a321df.jpg

DSC_0129_zpsdd3221f9.jpg

DSC_0131_zps81ca8e04.jpg

There are a few thinks I need to get sorted on her, top of the list are bonnet repainted and sort the rust patches on the drivers door and drivers wing.

Enjoy.

Maximum respect wish I had your skills

I don't think I have 'skills', I just know my way around a Polo. Had enough of them to know what I'm doing now.

Just trial and error and giving anything a go.

How many cars do you have mate! Good stuff great to see

Just now I only have the 3, this one, my G40 and the LHD G40 which is being broken.

During 2013 I did own 7 cars at one point but that was just silly.

Cheers for the comments lads!

Forgot to put one picture up.

My tribute sticker to Paul Walker.

DSC_0107_zpsb9fff467.jpg

• 2 months later...

Today I decided to try out the suction mount I bought for my GoPro.

Here is the video that resulted. All filmed on a private road of course :)

• Like 2