Both sides and boot resprayed, bonnet to come

Votex Grille

Rub strips removed

De-badged Polo from boot

Interior:

Polo GT front and rear seats

Missing trim bits replaced

Edited by wizardmanjm

well I got the breadvan back at home today and as predicted there are some setbacks, badpoints are:

three of four arches have small amount of surface rust.

there is a deep scratch which started rusting on near side rear quarter.

small dent below near side rear light started to rust,

good news

for the price, its pretty incredible

the few cosmetic jobs arent exactly eyesores and barely noticeable plus an easy-ish fix

the car was covered in leaves and tree sap and the bumpers where salty as. so i gave a good wash and heat gunned the black bits of trim and bumpers and I'm proud to say that it came out lovely! absolutely buzzing with this car so far and cant wait to get cracking, only bad point is i spunked most my money so i can only do minor jobs for about a month!

pics will come tomorrow if possible but unfortunatley i cant promise as my phone is being a dick atm

i have a camera sorted now do i can take pics, unfortunately I don't have before pics of work so far.

well my engine bay was covered in 1-2mm thick of clotted old oil, and I decided i would check for a present leak just in case there was one, in the end i ended up cleaning the whole bay but not quite finished yet. And good news I've been driving around and no sign of a leak which is good, ill let pics do the talking.

post-918226-0-06397000-1411922344_thumb.

there are more bay pictures but this uploader really is absolutely rubbish! say ill upload some of the exterior, I'm midway through treating rust now and also blackened the bumpers with a heat gun. the car was covered in sap when i got it from being under a tree but all clean now apart from the front bumper is a bit dirty after heat gunning from cleaning the bay

bv15_zps0288d96b.jpg

bv16_zps666d03b4.jpg

bv24_zpsd34171e7.jpg

bv25_zpsf6a9d970.jpg

bv26_zpsdbde6b73.jpg

bv27_zps77958199.jpg

bv28_zps79903bbc.jpg

I have also pictured a midway repair from the tailgate above the near side rear light, it was dented right in and started to rust so i have bent it back with mole grips for now and i will treat fill and paint it later, I have also pictured a couple bits that I am missing on the drivers door card and i am missing a petrol screw lid, Any help where to get the bits would be great, soon the body should have no rust at all and underneath and in the bay is spotless so pretty good so far

bv17_zps8f192020.jpg

that doesnt look straight on that angle but it is and just needs filled, tried to picture how straight i got it

bv19_zps458c6d34.jpg

bv22_zps71862ad8.jpg

bv29_zps2baa7a03.jpg

bv30_zps2477a379.jpg

a couple more bay pics as I'm using photobucket now

bv14_zps7ff9ca7d.jpg

bv13_zps4da90015.jpg

bv12_zps815dde01.jpg

well alternator went three days into owning the polo so that robbed me 90 quid. I was of course pissed right off as there was no way of telling it would go and id just bought the bloody thing.

now four days into ownership of the polo and the starter motor is giving in which will knock me back another god knows how much. Paying 700 quid for the car without hardly been able to save in the short notice of getting it left me broke anyway! So I'm literally clinging on waiting for the starter to do a massive shit on me and its getting worse every turn of the key. If it does not last till payday which is aaggges away I'm screwed. and to add...if anything else goes wrong any time soon before or after the starter repair I WILL get rid of this nightmare!

The motor was supposed to be sound, I thought at least a couple months I would have nothing to worry about other than which wheels I fancy and how low i will go etc etc.

to sum up...shit

well i have been busy and trying to remember taking pictures throughout,

so far i have put all rust on the car back to bare metal, filled it and sanded it, i have got anti rust primer to go on along with the paint which is getting mixed by a company in brighton as its not available anywhere else. turned out the colour code is LA5T medium blue or medium blau if your nazi origin.

also took a picture of the fresh new alternator after fitting just for the sake, turned out to be 90 quid after swapping the old one that shat its self. cant complain too much.

BV37_zpsd90bd826.jpg

BV38_zps8d2928cb.jpg

BR34_zps0af668c4.jpg

in this one it looks like scratch showing but its bare metal which is..trust me when i say perfectly flat, so i only filled the bottom half of the panel if you know what i mean

BV36_zps49e03063.jpg

BR33_zpsfc17cc49.jpg

BV40_zpsddc66eb7.jpg

and ill leave you here with a random pic of her from the front

BV39_zps3a076f9f.jpg

problems to tackle are a bit of a sump gasket leak (ordered a new gasket from euro car parts, had a look and it looks like to get access to rear sump bolts ill have to remove the off side drive shaft...great, anyways shouldnt be a problem, starter motor is being tempremental...well its been working perfect lately...just sometimes it spins without ejecting its gear to turn over the engine and have to turn the key back then forward again..

also ordered a red bumper stripe front and back, nothing else ordered for looks as i dont have money for lows or wheels right now and i dont have much else planned as I'm keeping it strictly OEM+

Edited by wizardmanjm

so then today in the post arrived a new sump gasket and oil filter, the spanner end type...why arent all oil filters like this?? so much easier. so will be a oil and oil filter change along with the gasket soon and also the fuel filter will be changed.

also to add I recieved my clubpolo air freshener and sticker. air freshener too short so need some string and sticker went a teeny bit wonky so removed it and ordering a new one.

also put the red bumper stripe on front and back but not too sure if I like it or not.

bv42_zpsb7d330b1.jpg

bv41_zps3a3b130e.jpg

I have also order 60/40 lowering springs and shocks, i also think lower top caps are included but still un sure, got em on german ebay so the car will be lowered in a couple of weeks when I'm back of a course for work and when they arrive.

let me know what you think on the bumper stripes, I'm undecided..

had a play on that polo selecta, would like to have it looking like this soon..maybe with the bumper mounted light squirters if I can and a small front splitter..

Screenshot2014-10-09at034350_zpsa38f7be7

• 4 weeks later...

back from the course i done at portsmouth and sorted the front suspension out yesterday and today, nightmare really..couldnt get the castle nut thingy of old struts so had to grind old spring plates and stuff from old shock absorbers...joke. Then i still have the problem now everything is done except I cant tighten the nuts down on track/tie rod ends...

literally tried hammering them up the section that mounts them to the strut and levering them against it but the stud still keeps spinnning with the bloody nut. I'm thinking of blowtorching the fuck out of the nut as its more malleable than the stud and should expand. before i burn by tie rod bushes to fuck though does anybody have any suggestions???

a picture of how low the front is after i was done

DSCF2711_zpse5362bee.jpg

and a picture to show that its still very practical even when coming off a sloped drive

DSCF2719_zpsc700f54f.jpg

I had a under bumper picture but lost it....theres a good inch of clearance there even off the drive

been too busy to post on here for a bit and take pictures and stuff. progress so far has been.

front suspension shocks and springs done

New top mounts and spring plates ( got rid of knocking when on full lock)

new outer cv boots both sides

new tie rod rod end LH

New fan thermo-switch fitted along with new coolant (fan still dont work so may need new fan or check wiring with multimeter)

Got a new thermostat as I'm fairly certain coolant is not circulating as it steams when left running a while and did the old pressure on top hose to feel liquid gush through and i couldn't feel anything (still need to fit)

need new steering arm with tie trod RH(as I cut most the thread off and theres not quite the full nuts worth now)

Need spline sockets to do sump gasket at which point i will also do the oil filter and new oil.

still need to lower the rear

in process of removing rubbing strips ( will finish after the more important stuff )

Not sure if anybody is bothered unless its a modification but these are updates nevertheless, also got plenty to keep me busy so will likely be posting again soon

• 2 months later...

okay guys I've took some pics on my camera of the car and I've lost the camera atm so I'm sorry lol, been really busy at work so not a great deal has happened. Good news is though this car now runs beautifully,

mechanically - cooling system has been flushed with water then using holts rad flush and then i also changed the thermostat (again) turned out the brand new one didnt work. anyways the steering and suspension are okay, brakes are gre....decent and the cooling system works how it should and I'm just below half way when fully heated up.

only one tiny issue to address is that I have a very incy leak from my rocker, i changed the gasket but it still leaks a bit from the back so i will be buying some gasket sealant, any suggestions on the best liquid gaskets are welcome????

cosmetically - i now have a grey boot as it is in primer since I've been a bit pedantic in removing every dent so the car is still in bodywork progress. I ordered some alloys from gbay but still haven't got an email even though the money went so I'm hanging fire for now. ( they dont look anything special but they are a stop gap and may look pretty good on 45 profiles) also they are 14 inch and I'm after 13 inches ideally. - also apart from going a bit lower if it looks too high on 13's i have no other outside plans unless a hella/votex grille comes available

Edited by wizardmanjm

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of posting been busy looking for a new 6r, took the mk2f off the road and looking for another engine to swap cam carriers etc (due to me shearing a rocker bolt) I am going replace all seals and gaskets while it's off road and spruce the whole car with new hubs discs suspension, underseal, the works....took a couple pics of my new bluemotion with the mk2 for you to see post-918226-142434645192_thumb.jpgpost-918226-142434647412_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention new temporary wheels are because tyres where disgraceful on old wheels but on look for something more classic in maybe 13 inch

Also bluemotion was 8500 with 24000 on clock, a

1.2 tdi that suprisingly pulls really well and averaging about 60mpg in London traffic! 3 years servicing 12 months breakdown and warranty blah blah blah

• 2 months later...

Well no body paint update pictures as its still work in progress, I have sorted the cam carrier and sprayed the heat shield for the manifold and the new rocker cover in high temperature paint. Got a picture just to keep the thread alive as it is so boring. (paint was still wet on manifold cover its all the same colour though)

89acf864940717db1da379017d5ec66a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Paint has been long long long, the primer and base coat comes out perfect and then every time I get to lacquer I get it streaky and get wet spots no matter what. rather embarrassing having bragged at how good it was going. I think the reason is the way the lacquer distributes itself unevenly that I couldn't get a good overlap...never mind. It is genuinely al right on most angles but I cant live with it knowing the imperfections are there.

I've started removing stuff today...well i removed the back bumper the numberplate trim and rear lights. front bumper is missing the majority of the bolts and is only held on with one plastic nut from in the bay and then two plastic rivety things in the arch liners...not sure if these pull out? dont want to break anything. Also guessing for the grille i have to prise the clips out except I'm scared I'm going to snap them as they are being stubborn? is there a certain way for the grille to be removed...i really need to buy a haynes,

when everything is removed I'm removing imperfections with an orbital sander primering up and sending her to be sprayed professionally..only both sides and the tailgate but the bonnet and roof may follow if the match is not great. i will just do door shuts myself and maybe the boot space.

still putting off jobs like swapping the ta technix suspension solid steel for some better stuff from H&R, I'm not using the car so its not a main priority, I've also split by bottom ball joints so many times that they could do replacing as could lower arm bushes anyway so just going to get a pair of lower arms new with bushes when I do suspension again.

fan problem still exists as I am lazy, sill near tank not welded as i am lazy, non adjustable steering arm not replaced with new one because i am lazy and finally engine thats not needed any more in my boot because I am lazy. <<<(there is actually much more but i am lazy)

post-918226-143248639002_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143248639971_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143248641113_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143248642128_thumb.jpg

That's what I'm working with and it will sit for another two weeks while I'm doing training for work in Portsmouth. Mostly cosmetic stuff anyway so not drastic to put back how it should be.

Broke new ground though, for first time ever since ownership I have no warning lights and the engine runs beautifully. Should have been done ages ago really but I'm still a bit of a rookie.

Also t cut lights as they were shocking so they will be nice for when the car is back from paint.

• 5 weeks later...

Couple pictures with a test fit of the votex grille I got from kwijibo Steven, looks amazing in my opinion, just need a way to fit the top of the grille to the body before I keep it on and it hasn't been wired in yet

post-918226-143506422219_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143506423097_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have cleaned and sprayed some exterior trim bits and everything except the boot numberplate light plinth and back bumper is fitted because my boot needs sprayed.

I also got some of the trim bits from retro wheels and I am officially not missing any trim now! Took some pics after a onceover

post-918226-143601415643_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143601416934_thumb.jpgpost-918226-143601417986_thumb.jpg