Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Pepe

8V FOGLIGHT INSTALL GUIDE

Pepe

Ok so here goes!

What you need!

1x Headlight loom from a valver or 8v with front foglight wires (from the plug behind the front grille)

(please note this can be made!)

1x Vw relay number 53 (part number can be found further down this guide)

1x Two stage pull out headlight switch from a valver/8v with front fogs or ibiza with front fogs

1x Grey/Yellow wire with female connectors for interior switch and fuse box (this can be taken from the donor car also)

2x 8v Foglights (left and right obviously)

6x Fixings for the foglights

(i can make and supply the wiring and relay pm me)

Stage one:

Take the loom and trace the fog plug wires from the rest of it, remove the headlight and indicator wires (just cut the headlight and indicator off at the plug )

38d1a397.jpg

so you should be left with one brown wire from one fog to the other then to the loom plug and one white/yellow wire going from one to the other then to the loom plug

eec4eed5.jpg

Stage two:

Using a really small flat blade screw driver remove the white/yellow connector spade from the donor loom plug () remeber where you took this spade from as you will need to place it in the same slot on your existing headlight loom plug, (you will need to undclip the loom plug on your car by pushing the tab down) then remove the rubber bung from the correct hole on your car loom and insert the spade until it clicks in!

effe0f8c.jpg

repeat this with the brown wire and spade, into the correct slot!

Stage three:

Now both the fog wires are in the cars loom plug, clip it back on, run the wires and tape them to the headlight wires on both sides and drop the fog plugs down in the bumper!

Stage four:

Remove the grill off the lower bumper, undo the 3 screws that holds the lower bumper up on the top section undo the screw up under the edge of the lower section (part that screws onto wing bracket) on both sides, the lower section will now drop down enough to fit the fogs (it will still be attached to the arch liner)

0b24f78b.jpg

Stage five:

Fix the fogs to the now visable frame and plug the pre fitted loom in, cut the second section of grille from each side out, if you offer the grill up to the fogs when fittede you will easily see the section you need to cut out, once cut fit back on the car

Stage six:

Now were inside the car, remove the drivers side glove box and plate above the pedals, unclip the fuse box and tip it forwards so that you can see the plugs on the back, now you need to locate 3 blue plugs in a row

f16c85cb.jpg

now you need to remove the blue plug from the left hand side of these three

f6b2402f.jpg

now you need the grey/yellow wire that you removed from the donor fuse box and switch

f1c72bfe.jpg

e5be2321.jpg

now slot the connector on end of this wire into connector 13 on the headlight switch plug

e03b4c3d.jpg

now tape the grey/yellow wire to the thick bunch running under the dash to the fuse box and plug the other end into the 5th connector hole on the blue plug (should be on the left of a black/yellow wire and above a white/green wire) and plug back into the fuse box

c28fa6bd.jpg)

Mine has a piece of metal bridging relay socket 10 this needs to come out and a number 53 relay needs to go in there, you can buy the relay really cheap off eBay there's a guy who's selling them at 99p and has 250 of them also if you see any of these relays in the scrappers (53) grab em! I will be doing!

Relay part number is 141 951 253 B

074d94c9.jpg

sorry about the blurriness but there you can make out relay 53!

ba04fbf4.jpg

now plug the ibiza/valver etc swtich in and push back in the dash

28bd3b4b.jpg

Stage seven:

Put everything back together and relax coz you have done it!

2157378b.jpg

Edited by Pepe

koosh

nice one dude! could come in use for the missus polo :D

do you per chance have part numbers of the 8v fogs :)

• Like 1

Pepe

no i not to hand I'm affraid as its pitch black now and everythigns fitted but polomon probably does as he ordered his brandnew from VW

ENJOI GUYS!!!

bigdog

good to see a guide of how someones done this,

don't suppose you had to change the relays did you?

Pepe

No I dint change any mate just plugged it all in! I just presumed it would go through a relay anyways once it's plugged into the fusebox plug, no one who's done this answered my thread on installing them with regards to relays! I've sent the german instructions off for translation When I get the translated insructions back I will let everyone know if I need a specific relay replacing or installing!

bigdog

thanks for the guide pepe, I just wired mine in today and they're working spot on, didn't have a clue how to do this without the guide

bit of advice for anyone wanting to save some pennies when doing this.... if you don't want to buy a different headlight switch then you can wire your front fog lights to come on at the same time as the rear fog lights. only downside is that it means you don't have the option of just having your front fogs on only but on the other hand it'll mean you don't have to buy a new switch

to do this, when running the wire from the fuse box to the headlight switch plug, instead of putting that wire into connector 13 conect the wire onto the wire thats going into connector 12 on the headlight switch plug. this means there will now be two wires going into connector 12. This means both rear and front fogs are turned on at the same time.

cheers again

Pepe

No worries glad it works!

Nice tip I thought of that but dint know which wire it would b so I bit the bullet and bought the switch

I reckon this should probably be stickied! N let people add extra tips

my tip is if you can't find a loom with fogs but you have the plugs that come with the fogs you can make your own by buying some brown wire and some yellow/White wire and a couple of male spades (same as in the male/headlights loom)

start with 2 lengths of brown wire long enough to reach from loom plug to fog, splice one of these wires into the other and insulate (shrink wrap or black tape etc) then take the spade connector crimp the loom end to the brown wire and slot into corresponding hole (see above guide)

next get 2 lengths of yellow/White wire long enough to reach from loom plug to fog, splice one of these wires into the other and insulate (shrink wrap or black tape etc) then take the spade connector crimp the loom end to the

yellow/White wire and slot into corresponding (hole see above guide)

now you should have a brown wire and a yellow/White wire coming out of the loom plug and splitting into two!

Next you need to take one of each colour ie passenger side yellow/White wire and a passenger side brown wire and test you fogs to check the polarity of the fogs then connect the fog light plug and repeat on the other side!

Proxy

nice guide but the strange thing my 6n already came with the loom wiring in place so one i fitted the fogs they just plugged in and worked =D

Pepe

Nice one! Is it an SE? Maybe some have them some don't! Should probably check if u have them b4 going out and spending guys!

Proxy did u change the headlight switch or wire it up different?

Proxy
Nice one! Is it an SE? Maybe some have them some don't! Should probably check if u have them b4 going out and spending guys!

Proxy did u change the headlight switch or wire it up different?

its a polo L

and never came with fogs and just has the switch for the back fogs, but after a little crash thank to my little bro i needed a new bumper and ended up with one that came with fogs

after looking for a way to wire them up i found 2 cables that had always been in the engine bay i plugged them to the back of the fogs and when i use the switch to put the back fog on it also switches on my front ones

was a strange one as the switch i have is the basic one it only has logo for back fogs on but it runs power to the front as well

Pepe

Sounds like someone already had em as a factory option before u had it switch broke n they dint work so they removed them or summit or you are just really lucky lol! Pull you are switch out n see if there 2 wires going to pin 12 on the plug if so they probably did!

Edited by Pepe

Pepe

Update!!! Replace fuse #10 from 15amp (blue) to something bigger (I have used a 20amp and seems to be fine!)

mine went pop tonight on the tops! I was buggered lol

Pepe

I have just recieved the translated german instructions and it says basically I am correct in my installation except it say that the fuse should stay as a 15 amp and relay number 53 should go in relay socket 10!

Mine has a piece of metal bridging this relay socket and a 20amp fuse seems to do the job but technically this is wrong so you can buy the relay really cheap off eBay there's a guy who's selling them at 99p and has 250 of them also if you see any of these relays in the scrappers (53) grab em! I will be doing!

And if any of the cleverer members can tell me is it ok to run without this relay and a bigger fuse! Cheers!

Relay part number is 141 951 253 B

I will be making the amendments to the guide as soon as my relays arrived

Edited by Pepe

Pepe

updated!!!! sorry for delay and the slight hiccup with the relay!

Pepe

ok so this is all finished now completely forgot to add the relay fitting to it!!

could this be made sticky?

BigSexyRob

thanks to this guide, i worked out how to wire the headlight switch to the fuse box.

couldnt of done it without it.

danny6n
And if any of the cleverer members can tell me is it ok to run without this relay and a bigger fuse! Cheers!

Yeah thats fine, worst case scenario, relay pops before the fuse but at a total cost of £fuck-all from any scrappers it's no big deal. However, in theory, wiring should probably be bigger than 1.5mm2 if it's actually pulling 20amps but that's just being anal, worst case - wires get a tiny bit warm.

Fenris

How do you get the spades out of the fog light loom? I can't see how it's done!

Pepe

Shove a pin or something similar down the sides of the spade and wiggle it about trying to bend the clip back in! It's tricky but do able!

harris.racing

this guide isnt correct for later polos (97 onwards i think) with the newer clocks etc.

however, I'm working through how to do it on mine atm so il try and add a reply to this with the right way for later models too :)

Pepe

Well according to haynes it's different from 1998 onwards so it seem it's varied! Did someextra digging for you mate! And also it says in haynes that it is 'x' contact relay (very helpful of them!) but that relay has;

a thick red (battery '+') going to pin 30 on the relay

black&green (relay winding earth) going to pin 86 on the relay

brown (relay winding input) going to pin 85 on the relay (shows as earth on wiring diagram)

black&yellow (relay output) going to pin 87 which goes on to fuse socket 19!!

You may already have a relay 53 in seen as you had the rest of the interior loom!

If not abit of digging with those colour wires (probably have a plug floating about inthe mass of wires!) and a multi meter could well throw up the correct wires for the relay!!

Edited by Pepe

Pepe

Oh and seen as you have a few diagrams yourself bit of extra info that might help if you have a relay panel connetion diagram, usually makes different plugs as letters an then each wire belonging to that is a number!

Relay pin 86 connects to socket U/11

Relay pin 85 connects to socket U/14

harris.racing

well i have relay 53. i only have sockets for 5 relays in my car. and they all have relays installed. 2 are for wipers, one is for indicators. need to find out others.

i have the wiring to my plug at the grill, just need to add down to fogs. fuse #19 (15amp) is for my rear fog, and i believe the fronts go to this also.

hmm

harris.racing

For 98 cars onwards (newer type clocks)

My car is an 8v, but I'm due my 16v bumpers back from being painted soon, so I will be using 16v fogs.

The main difference is inside the car, the fusebox & relays etc.

You will still need a headlight switch with the front fog option:

fogs005.jpg

Now, when I popped my old plug out, I already had a yellow/white wire into pin 13 on the plug (see image) so check you have this first!

interiorplug.jpg

So after this I had a play about with a multimeter and worked out what goes where.

Now were under the bonnet.

Behind the grill, to the right (standing at front of car) there is a multiplug.

My car has the wires to this plug, just not on the otherside.

What I did was made up myself a loom for the fogs (please note I only had yellow cable instead of yellow&white combined)

fogs009.jpg

fogs011.jpg

fogs003.jpg

fogs002.jpg

fogs004.jpg

This simply has a + & - going to each fog. They are then joined into one of each wire just before the multiplug (so wired in parallel)

You can get the plugs off an existing fog loom, or use side repeater plugs :)

You will then need two male spade terminal pins (not sure on which type exactly, I matched by eye) and some rubber seals.

So heres the multiplug:

fogs008.jpg

You will need to unclip it off the bracket to access behind (the headlight wiring side)

The circled pins are the ones you need to put your loom into (brown = earth, yellow&white = posi)

loompins.jpg

Now, as I havnt got my bumpers yet, I havnt pushed the pins in, but here are a few pics to show them in the correct place & fogs working:

fogs013.jpg

fogs012.jpg

This was just a test before I fit them when bumpers are ready :)

I then routed all the wiring, following the existing headlight harness (this routing is ideal as it wont be in the way of anything etc - its where the manufacturers put it!) I taped it around the existing loom. Although you could feed the wires through the plastic already there.

I just dropped the fog wires down the gap on the outside of each chassis leg, and cable tied them in place.

I will add more pics to this when I have my bumper on & putting pins into the multiplug properly.

I'm a little unsure about the relay situation etc, however, I have a relay #53 in my fusebox already:

fogs007.jpg

And the front and rear fogs both work together, however - they have not been ran for a long time so I cannot be sure nothing will blow etc.

The fogs on mine both run through fuse #19 which is 15amp.

Going by watts law, both front fogs, and the rear, should drain 10.91amps, however it will be slightly more due to wire lengths etc.

So this fuse should be fine, however, I shall inform people if it needs to be changed.

Hope this is some use!

Edited by harris.racing

nige8021

The "Relay 53" is there to make the fog lights go off when on high beam (according to the lighting regulations front fog lights should only operate when on dipped beam!!) if you leave the link in the "relay 10" base the Fogs Front & rear will be on with both high & low beam as far as I can work out from the elsa win diagrams?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.