Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
prankstar2003

Another Build Thread

JoelMoore

looking good, cant wait to see car in!!!

prankstar2003

No me neither. Won't be long now. Then the work on that begins :-/

wizardmanjm

Any updates with the garage? Bet your dying to work on the motor for once lol

prankstar2003

Garage all painted (I'll get pics) and the car is moving in on Sunday. I may even get to work on it over the summer ;-/

• Like 3

prankstar2003

So yesterday the car made the short trip from my sisters to mine now that the garage is in a state to hold her. I've barely set eyes on it in the last 2 1/2 years for fear of what I might see but she's faired pretty well considering. Carpets are a little wet and there's a lovely patch of moss growing in the drivers foot well but I couldn't see any major rust, which was my biggest concern. First problem was I couldn't find the key (I was sure I'd left it in the car) but after a trip back home and turning the place upside down I found the spare. Had a few issues winching her on due to being too low (and I'm not even that low!) and the exhaust had to come off, but we wrestled her onto the trailer.

C7F3351A-7FC3-4D96-8710-9EF30422C7C4_zps

We didn't even get to the end of the road before we had our first mishap. The geezer towing the trailer had to stop at a junction and the car somehow rolled forward and jumped the rail, impaling itself on the winch mechanism! Luckily the rear valance wasn't damaged and the dent should be repairable. But it was almost like she didn't want to leave the village! After an hour and some head scratching we managed to collar some neighbours and lifted her off. Thankfully she's not a big girl!

7C762673-9469-485B-813B-53567DCCEE57_zps

The rest of the journey was uneventful and now she's happily resting in the dry. There's so much going on in the house (new kitchen, diner, driveway, garden landscaping etc.!!) but I'm going to try and get a few things done this year with the intention of having her ready for next year. Those who have followed from the start will have heard it all before I know! Haha!

BBA0BA4D-3BA0-4D05-9CF9-6C48E1CC1898_zps

• Like 3

D16RRT

Nice number plate... shame you didn't hold to your part of the deal on sale!

prankstar2003

So with the inside of the house done, it's time to landscape the garden. Since the only access to the garden is through the garage, this means I had to move the car. Rather the towing it out and having faith that she will start, I made preparations to get her moving under her own steam. There wasn't really much to do. The exhaust had to be put back on due to removing it when going on the trailer. Tyres needed pumping up and the battery needed charging. After a few hours on charge the pump was pumping but no fuel was getting through. However on Sunday I had the pump take fuel from a jar to fill the carb bowls. A few hours later she was running. Everything bar the hazards seems to be working too which are making a beeping noise and not flashing when switched on. I'll figure it out. 

I'm not sure how long it will take to strip the paint back in preparation for a respray, but I'm hoping to get the car in the sprayers whilst I have the garden re-done and kill two birds with one stone. We'll see.

IMG_4507.JPG

• Like 1

prankstar2003

After a looooooong hiatus, I've managed to get some time (and money!) to hit this again properly. Progress can be seen below

Car has spent most of the last few years looking like this (except for a brief time where I moved it outside so I could gain access to the back garden whilst that was landscaped)

7xjmn0q.jpg

Over the last few months however I've had some work done including 

- Retrimmed interior - this wasn't easy as the material isn't available new. I found another set of seats and recruited a local Aston Martin trimmer to make one decent set from the two shitty sets. It's not a perfect job as we didn't have enough material for all the faded bits, but they're so much better (and more comfortable) than they were

- Mechanical HH head was sent to legendary VW head expert Dave Crissel to be flowed and have new valves put in. Great work as always from a professional. It's just a shame it will never be seen :-(

- ABD block has been caustic dipped and rehoned by another legend David Knight

- Lots of other parts have been sent off for caustic dipping ready to be PC'd or painted. If you've not heard of this process before, it's great for renewing rusty and scabby parts. Here's a picture of a box of metal I had done

WPcCE6H.jpg

There's a list as long as my arm for other bits to go on. I've rebuilt this car once and now I'm doing it again this time 'properly'!

nHMw31E.jpg

This weekend's goal was to pull the old engine (that's done less than 100 miles since rebuild :-( )... 

mVt3AR3.jpg
MWZLglR.jpg
AHGZixf.jpg

Then dropped the new one in...

QRzF22u.jpg
uzD1sAZ.jpg

The more eagle eyed of you will notice this is a bit of a bastard engine. It's an HH (mechanical lifter) head mated to an ABD bottom end. The fuel rail and inlet are from a GT, the injectors from a G60 and the TB is from an NZ. This is now all in place to have a turbo manifold mocked up. Once the manifold and turbo pipework is all in place it'll go off to the sprayers to have a proper respray. More updates over the coming weeks

Edited by prankstar2003
  • Like 1

prankstar2003

The new year has been a busy one for me prepping the car to get a professional paint job. Originally it was intended I would just rough the existing paint enough to take a new coat, but in so many places, especially the engine bay, it was decided it would be best to go to bare metal. Bearing in mind this is going to be a panel-off respray, the work load was huge, especially inside the bonnet and boot as they are so complicated. Nearly there with only half the roof and drivers rear quarter/sill to complete. Deadline was this week but having been made redundant, that's now on hold. I'm beginning to think this car was never meant to be finished!

Weapons of choice are strip wheels for the angle grinder, a 3M abrasive drill wheel (which is excellent, if pricey at nearly £100!), various wire brushes and patience. A hot air gun was used to remove the stone chip in the wheel arches (will be replaced) and I tried some paint stripper on the panels but I had mixed results. All will be gone over with 240 on the DA prior to delivery for paint. 

Paint Strip Arch.jpg

Paint Strip Boot.jpg

Stripped Car.jpg

Stripped Polo.jpg

Stripped Wheel Well.jpg

prankstar2003

Having found out I’ve lost my job, the spray job has been put on hold (was supposed to be in this week). However, the upside is I have longer to prep the car which means I can get bits I wasn’t going to do done. So the first is the boot area. Although condition wasn’t bad, there were a few scrapes and scratches. I intended originally to carpet the area but now I’m going to get it sprayed. Next I’ll do the scuttle area. Only need rubbing back to 240 and the results doesn’t need to be perfect. There’s plenty of seam sealer in the area that if it’s not totally glossy, it won’t be all that noticeable. 

0F87A3B9-B939-4D0C-A8F2-FBC97AFCF6E8.jpeg

Jim1500

Great work, what colour you going for (may have missed this earlier in thread).

Always think MK2 looks awesome without the bumper etc at front 🙂 

prankstar2003

It’ll be original - Monaco blue. And the bumpers are staying. Look horrendous without 

prankstar2003

Today’s job was to get the fuel

tank out. It’s an old, smaller type so fingers crossed it was in good condition. Luckily it was. I think it’s been replaced in the past but luckily it’s a VAG one so fitment it spot on. Never done one before and I didn’t know there were so many pipes. The big bore one attached to the neck alluded me and when I found it someone had used a jubilee clip which typically had rusted solid! Anyway, all out now. Unfortunately found this lurking behind. Always thought I had a pretty rust free shell :-( shouldn’t be too hard to sort out for a professional.

CC3A147A-541E-4CB7-9967-04EB4C40DC0D.jpeg

prankstar2003

With a bit of time on my hands and no prospect of getting the car to the spray shop any time soon (not to mention finding a ew job!) things have moved up a notch. I didn’t originally intend to do the underneath or strip the car to bare metal but since there’s not much else I can do until the car is out of the garage and being painted I thought I may as well flip it over and take a look. There were some suspected holes in the floor and it’s been welded before. I didn’t have the funds for a ‘proper’ jig at £300-ish and since it’s only going to be used once, I figured I’d make one. A little search on the internet provided a description for a mk1 golf item so I recreated it. Simple as it’s only 2 25” radius quarter circles and some 2x4. Easy. It does sway a little when ‘flat’ but on its edge it’s rock solid. Now to get to work stripping the bottom back. Seems there’s only the one hole I originally feared so should be very little additional welding 

E7E5B654-E121-4220-AC4A-0E9CF64C0156.thumb.jpeg.b52948c3a5b33a4e0651ae7c87c30dc8.jpeg

B3538F6C-339B-466D-8886-62C829824344.jpeg

• Like 1

prankstar2003

Started stripping the bottom after rolling it over. Years ago, with no consideration of painting the underneath, I painted the floor with waxoil. Brilliant for protection, total

bastard to strip off. It doesn’t really cure and instead sets a bit like a wax (clue’s in the name). Using a strip wheel or wire wheel just makes a mess, so I’m down to stripping most off with a scraper, petrol on a rag to wipe away most of what’s left, them a wire wheel 😅 good job I’ve got time on my hands  🖐 🕰 🤚 

03DDDD26-2131-45E4-BA59-888DCCBE5E2F.jpeg

4D3FDD0A-BF67-404B-8118-3A82082E65E2.jpeg

0F934883-37A6-4969-AE6F-8AEE9955A202.jpeg

prankstar2003

After trying to scrape the waxoil off I found a good old wire wheel works well. Managed to get about half the floor done today. Still need to do around the spare wheel well which has lots of seam sealer and under the boot then strip all the paint off to have it fully bare metal. Should have it done before the end of the weekend 

275099FC-4359-4368-B3A0-C086B906E675.jpeg

97CC6070-525F-46D3-9D39-034ACAEB2D61.jpeg

prankstar2003

Floor fully stripped, cleaned and seam sealer added around the seams. Some nasty rust hiding in some areas but not terminal. All remaining rust treated with kurust

6237D12C-F057-4034-979E-48444333E90C.jpeg

8BE578EC-AE7D-4DAA-B7BE-51F91B90B8FB.jpeg

B225919B-7A7F-4117-9AB6-32916B005E14.jpeg

9533D681-7DA0-40E2-92D1-14B2E0A036C8.jpeg

BD8C56ED-C222-4CB2-9009-A45E99578116.jpeg

91C3D5D1-0285-48AA-A667-2A14A8FC9804.jpeg

3E46D539-B0BC-43F0-9F53-5D7B8525E0B7.jpeg

DBF2AE93-296C-4335-8674-713729AFD1FC.jpeg

• Love it 1

prankstar2003

More time spent on This over the last week. Since I’m putting in new sound deadening, I’ve taken up the old bitumen pads from the factory. Hot air gun to melt most of not off, wire wheel for any remaining chunks, petrol to remove the residue then final going over with thinners. 

Had the paint guy come round back end of last week too to check my prep work. So it’s now booked in for a respray in a couple of weeks. Final prep was done over the weekend so Now it’s ready to go

CE6E83B2-5DD8-4F16-95B6-DC6BCE531578.jpeg

FB433E72-A11B-43BF-B78D-AA2C5F4C282A.jpeg

• Like 1