Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Acky

Help me shop

Acky

Lets play a little game :lol:

Like those games where say they give you an imaginary 500k to spend on the stock market.

I'm crap when it comes to ICE but I know I like nice sounds.

I already have a good head unit, well I hope so it was 380 quid so now I need some speakers and stuff to go with it.

The game is you have a £1000 limit and you need to buy me the best system you can(not including head unit becuase I have one). So go forth and shop and come back telling me what to buy :D

Should have just PM'd Foxie though he seems to know his stuff.

Acky
:lol: haven't got a clue what your on about. I dont want any TV's or CD changers, I can connect my Ipod to my stereo and I have not car for watching TV in my car so its purly for brilliant sound. I'd like it clear and chrisp but I'm also a fan of a nice bit of bass now and then. All I have in the car at the moment are the standard speakers and some shiiiiiiite 6x9s that I bought just becuase I need some more volume.

Guest bass mekanik

SQ= Sound Quality. Purely focussed on accurate sound reproduction

SPL= Sound Pressure Level. Purely focused on going as loud as possible.

Streetbass= Best way to describe this is probably SPL but for daily use with a bit of music thrown in!!

Multimedia= screens, ps2, sat nav etc etc- pretty self explanatory

Your requirements sound more SQ than anything else. Based on that and £1000 budget I would say:

FOCAL K2P components £375.99

165-K2P_l.jpg

MTX MXA4001 400 Watts RMS Mono block - £249.99

ampMXA4001_400.jpg

MTX MXA3002 2x75 Watts RMS 2 Channel Amp - £199.99

ampMXA3002_400.jpg

Focal 27-V2 11" subwoofer - £180.99

27-V2_l.jpg

TOTAL - £1006.96 :)

So long as its installed properly I can tell you exactly how this will sound:

Clean, fast, very dynamic and clear. Bass will be very tight and punchy, should hit quite hard but wont drop too low unless you have some clever box design.

well worth thinking about :)

Acky

Spot on that sounds good mate.

Whats best when it comes to a sub. With the correct housing for it is that all you need? I can make it all look nice with in time but for the sub to perform at its peak it just needs the right enclosure?

Would it be a good idea to strip out all the old wires and stuff and replace with new ones.

Also any advise on sound deadening.?

Cheers again :D

EDIT: Where are those prices from mate??

Guest bass mekanik

most subs have a reccommended enclosure size and type from manufacturers. However there is no "correct" design as such.

Different box designs will give different audio characteristics. Generally the recommended designs give the best "all round" performance, sometimes though, that isnt what an individual might want, they might for example prefer a box to "peak" at quite a low frequency (say for arguements sake 35htz). At this point to get this response you would need to design an enclosure with the right size and port tuning in order to get that response from the box and sub. it gets more complicated when you think that different subs perform with different characteristics in the same size enclosure as well!

For the sake of simplicity, I know off the top of my head that the polyglass focal subs above dont tend to like running ported anyway, they normally only ever sound "right" when in a sealed enclosure so that makes life a lot easier to start with. as for enclosure size, I would keep it quite small as if you go too big (above 1.2 cubic foot) they start to sound pretty "boomy" and slightly hollow. keep the box at 1.0 cubic foot and should sound spot on :)

sound deadening- easy peasy. dynamat extreme- as much as you can afford. dont be under the impression that you need to apply it edge to edge either as it works in small panels as well.

Prices on focal are from http://www.raysmith.co.uk/

the other prices i have taken off the retail price list from work (i work for BBG distribution, we import a shedload of car audio brands including focal, dynamat, mtx, phoenix gold, JL audio, exile etc etc)

finally cabling, so long as it is thick enough to handle all the current draw, theres no real need to change it all. I would say you need a 4 gauge run of cable to keep those two amps happy.

Lyons

that mtx/focal setup will be sweet, i reckon you could get that for about 800ish if you tried hard.

Acky

Cheers again, I'll defo be dropping you a PM in the next few weeks when I'm makeing the enclosure. Would it be possible to order the stuff through you guys then??

I'm building the boot build myself with the help of a mate who had 20years experience as a carpenter and is an absolute perfectionist so it should look pritty smooth.

Is it a good idea to create a false floor.

the plan is to have the boot like this (side ways view)

EDIT: Diagram removed it came out shit.

Then above the amps I was thinking of clear perspecs with Volkswage or VW engraved onto it.

Would I need some sort of extractor fan for the amps?

I know what i want in my head thats a bit of a shite diagram.

Lyons

If the amps are facing the air in your boot with nothing covereing them they shouldn't over heat, but it cant really hurt. I have had 2 installs, both done by me, the first had the amps peeping through a false floor, but this was crap as they got scratched and hot, best to have then behind perspecs or somthing with a fan, or on the sides of your boot.

Acky

Yeah looking down into the boot they will be behind a carpeted floor with pespecs for the amps to look through :lol: might put a cool little fan somewhere to suck some of the air out. Or I could get some water cooling action on the go :lol::lol::lol:

I want to get started now!! but dont think I'll get paid till 2 weeks tomorrow. :(

haven't been paid since February ffs!!! and I have worked every possible working day god sends!!

Lyons

Yer, just wak a fan pushing air in at one end, and pulling out at the other end, it'll b fine. that sucks ass, whys it bin so long?

Acky

Didnt think about 1 in one out just one out haha, glad I mentioned it now.

I'm a contractor in IT and I had a 4 week contact waiting for another job to start(which it did on monday). so that 4 week(march) contract has passed without me even seeing the contract :lol: and I'm meant to be paid weekly!!!!

Bonus is I get paid for the 4 weeks of march, plus one week of april, then the following week I get paid again :D

Acky

Only other thing I need to think about is what to cover the sub box and false floor in, I could do it in the normal carpet to match the car and parcel shelf. But I have a choice of literally anything you can think of! My mate is the supplier of materials to MJ interiors and all the other re trimming companys and has a huge warehouse full of anything and everything. And said I can choose anything I want.

Might go for orginial cow hide still witht he black and white bits and bits of fur on it :lol:

Acky
:lol: Just got of the phone to my mate and sorted it out, I have a new idea of how I want it to be in the boot so if its done like this I'm going to get a VW badge stitched into it.

Acky

Anyone got anything more to say or any advise before I click the purchase button for this lot above? :)

Acky

Bass Mek I cant find that sub anywhere, only a 10 inch version, is that what you mean?

Djsimmy

well search for a 12" one with the same Focal 27-V2 and if u cant find 1 he ment 10" lol

Acky

Any other amps I could use, I cant find those anywhere! Do they still sell them??

Lyons

i'd be inclined to go for a 4 channel amp, probably a bit cheap than buying those 2, and simpler to wire and mount, those focal components will take stupid power so a power ful 4channel wont cause problems. MTX isnt really widely available on the net, have a good search.

Acky

I've ugraded the 3002 to the 4002. :D

Dunno if it was a good idea but its only £50 more

Lyons

Not hugely necessary but it's definately gonna "ROCK THE HOUSE" now!!! :lol::lol:

Acky

Spoke to the bloke this time mate, proper sound guy.

Obviously he is a salesman first for foremost which is probably why I have spent another 50quid, but he's going to talk me through what I need to power it all etc.

He was impressed when I gave him the list and said its going to sound proper bo.

I'm going on Friday to collect it all. :D

Lyons

cool, let us know how it all goes.

Foxie

i would have picked a Genesis amp over MTX for the 2ch all day long:

2 channel:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=3006

mono amp (for sub):

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=3009

and for the components id go for:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=3021

or

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=2983

(the RE's would be oh so perfect!)

and for the sub id go for the same as me.....

RE SE 12"

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=2962

that kit is absoloutely PERFECT and better than mine in every way!

fuck the mtx focal stuff and go for that....

for sound deadening get some fat-mat www.fatmat-uk.com - cheap as chips.

chris 8-)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this