Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Hurdy

Hurdy's 6R Polo GTI

Hurdy

Finally got my sticky little mitts on the GTI.   8-)

IMAG0212.jpg

Only one pic though as it was chucking it down.

Just done the first 150 miles of driving based on the "run it hard" bedding in method. :badgrin:

Handles pretty well as standard, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Sets off the line like a scalded cat with the supercharger.

Definitely needs more power up top.

Even though I say it myself, it is a lovely little motor and should be a great new project for me to mess about with.

No Nitrous this time though! :-)

Spec as follows.....

5dr

Deep Black Pearl

Climate control upgrade

Convenience pack (rain sensor, auto dimming mirror etc)

Sensor pack (Rear parking sensors, cruise control etc)

Winter pack (Heated seats, heated washer jets, low fluid light etc)

Xenon headlights with those awfully nice daytime fairy lights

MFSW.

Imminent arranged/bought mods

Uprated lower engine mount

Retro-fit RNS510 (newest model) and bluetooth module.

NGK BRK7EIX upgrade Spark plugs - done

Mobil 1 0W40 oil - done

Stage 1 remap - done

ITG Intake

To do's...

Lightweight alloys

Full TBE

Intercooler

lowering - initially on springs and then fully adjustable coilovers when I see a decent development - Bilstein B16 PSS10's looking good.

Lightweight battery

rear ARB

Uprated front brakes

Uprated rear lightweight calipers and pads

Contemplating...

Hybrid turbo upgrade

Hurdy

Okay, here we go chaps.

First mod was to move to NGK BKR7EIX plugs that Revo recommend.

Secondly, as I did a hard run in of the piston rings instead of the softly softly approach that VW always recommend I ditched the 5w30 oil and put in some Mobil 1 0W40 oil. If the rumours about the oil being a little too thin for the engine, then the 40 rating should help.

Next up was the stock and Stage 1 REVO mapping dyno runs, done back to back on the same day on the same dyno to give a clear representation of the gains available.

Stock run is bang on at 178.7bhp - VW quote 180ps=178.5bhp. Torque was a little down as VW quote 185lbft and the dyno read 178.3lbft. This isn't unusual as the gearbox was trying to kickdown at lower revs and so the pedal had to be kept away from the kickdown part of the throttle until the revs were well over 4.5krpm, which was passed the torque peak of the engine.

IMG_4424.jpg

REVO stage 1 came out at 212.6bhp and 222.8lbft - true peak gains of 33.9bhp and 44.3lbft.

IMG_6381.jpg

Stage 2 should be done before the end of the month with the additions of the Milltek TBE and ITG intake. These will also be done on the same dyno for a true comparison. Should see approximately another 20bhp and 20lbft, but we shall see in good time. ;)

Also just ordered and to be fitted in the next 3 weeks will be a full front brake upgrade.

This will be a TAROX 6 pot brake upgrade (with red calipers!) with single piece 323mm discs, corsa pads, braided lines and upgraded brake fluid. I will also get a full weight comparison between the OEM and TAROX set-ups to see if there is any benefit on unsprung mass.

4885419602_4fe7c77f5a.jpg

Edited by Hurdy

Matt-VNS

Nice to see some major plans for a brand new car :thumbsup: although I don't think driving aggressively is a good idea during the running in period.

Edited by MattLoaf

Hurdy

Just ordered some luvverly Bilstein PSS10's 8-)

Should let me go from a five fingered gap to a two fingered gap. I've always liked two fingered gaps...... :badgrin:

bilsteinb16.jpg

mattw92

Quality car mate,

Would love to have a go in one of them, mates got a seat ibiza cupra and that fly's!!!!

Great colour, can you get the "monza" wheels on the polo GTI, would look great if you could.

Edited by mattw92

Hurdy
Quality car mate,

Would love to have a go in one of them, mates got a seat ibiza cupra and that fly's!!!!

Great colour, can you get the "monza" wheels on the polo GTI, would look great if you could.

Mine does have Monza's on

IMAG0217.jpg

KieranLeighton

Nice mate, looks sweet as. I have fun with the 85bhp we have in are polo must be major fun with 216bhp.

Hurdy

Got my hands on some of the bits for the car.

I'll get them all weighed, so I can see the weight change over OEM at each step. 8-)

Jamie_300

Looks like a good base! Just wondering why did you got a 5 door?

Needs a splitter of some kind! :)

Ross74h

Take it you have seen the latest edition of VW driver mag - 270bhp big turbo Gti!

Dean

How much are you willing to spend on this car and how much have you so far?

Hurdy

Well, I thought that I'd better see what stuff weighs before it goes on the car, so here we are...

OEM wheels with tyres weigh 20.0kg - lighter than I thought.

DSC00331.jpg

Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 alloys and tyres weigh in at 17.6kg - a saving of 2.4kg a corner.

DSC00332.jpg

Spare came out of the boot = another 14kg gone.

DSC00330.jpg

Bilstein B16 PSS10's weigh 20.5kg including the box!

DSC00329.jpg

Milltek Stainless steel Turbo-back exhaust system weighs 19.4kg including the box I laid it on.

DSC00326.jpg

Lightweight race battery weighs 7.3kg

DSC00325.jpg

Once the OEM suspension and Exhaust is off I'll get a weight saving and post it up. 8-)

Hurdy
Take it you have seen the latest edition of VW driver mag - 270bhp big turbo Gti!

Car was £20k and plan on spending another £10k on tuning and visual mods. I was going to get a Golf, but liked the look of the chunkier Polo more 8-)

Hurdy

Lower now, so here are a few pics

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

Brakes have also landed in the UK, so I'll be picking them up on Friday. :-)

Hurdy

Rear coil overs and ARB  8-)

IMAG0225.jpg

Also ........ Woohoo,

Stage 2 put on the car today and it feels much livelier.  :badgrin:

Exhaust system sounds sublime with a sound that even Steve Jr at Statllers says sounds better than a 2.0TFSI and I have to agree.....of course.  Lovely deep burble at idle and some nice "farts" from the car on gearchange and overrun crackle.  :-D

Dark tints on this weekend for the windows (neglected to tick the B pillar tint option  :cry: ), but should be VERY dark. Then next week the front end will get a face upgrade  ;)

and then water/meth.    :badgrin:

Hurdy

Well I fetched my brakes today and they are brand new TAROX B30 - 6pots. The first set in the UK

OEM brake disc, caliper and carrier weigh-in = 13.5kg

IMAG0236.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm shiny new things = 12.5kg, so bigger AND lighter = deep joy too.

IMAG0233.jpg

Caliper comparison to OEM

IMAG0234.jpg

Going on nicely.

IMAG0235.jpg

Even got my hands dirty today!

IMAG0237.jpg

The final money shots....

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

First impressions are excellent. The brake feel is superb and very progressive. There is more "feel" to the brakes and when used in anger are phenomenal at retarding speed. I'd even go as far as to say that they are better than the 10 pot TAROX's I had on the Golf - but the Golf is a heavier car. I can thoroughly recommend these if you have the money and there aren't many brake sets that look this good either.

Hurdy

Quick photo from today now the brakes are on. :-o

IMAG0241.jpg

dirt_monkey

Gorgeous :D Hope this sees a track!

Hurdy
Gorgeous :D Hope this sees a track!

Definitely 8-) Should be doing at least 6 trackdays and a couple of Nurburgring/Spa tours next year. :-)

Hurdy

Had the Polo on the Rollers again today.

Firstly I'll start with an apology - the first dyno result was 213bhp UNCORRECTED and should have been 206bhp :oops: In my rush to post up I took a pic off the dyno before adjustment.

Never mind eh!

So onwards, and the dyno plots today are all comparative on setting 2 and the run today was on OEM intake and full turbo-back exhaust, whereas stage 1 was done with just NGK plugs and setting 2.

As you can see from the photo below there is a decent difference between stage 1 and stage 2.

Re-adjusted for my error.....

Stock to stage 1 gave an increase of 27.8bhp and 44.7lbft

Stage 1 to stage 2 gave an increase of 14bhp and 9.5lbft

Stock to stage 2 gives an increase of 41.8bhp and 54.2lbft = an increase of 23.4% in power and 30.4% in torque.

As you can see from the graphs it is a different beast to drive now, with stage 2 torque being higher than stock peak torque all the way from 2100rpm to 6000rpm :badgrin:

Also stage 2 power is greater than peak stock power all the way from 4100rpm to letting off at the pedal on the dyno at 6500rpm. :-D

The downside is I need an intercooler and intake for sure as the car gets heatsoaked after just a few dyno runs.

IMAG0243.jpg

Hurdy

A quick update....

Fitted the Lightweight race battery today

Standard battery and fittings were weighed out at 15.25kg

Lightweight race battery and fittings weighed in at 7.3kg

A saving of almost 8kg. 8-)

Looks like it was meant to fit there too!

IMAG0247.jpg

Hurdy

Well, I ordered some 3M carbon fibre vinyl on a bit of a whim to see how the front badge would look. The aim was to protect the badge and to have a little practice to see if I liked the effect.

The front grille came off easily enough - 2 screws and 10 plastic clips. The top four clips are undone by pressing a flathead screwdriver (protected by electricians tape on the end) through the four oval holes. Once the top clips are out you can see four of the six plastic lower clips. Undo four of these by pressing down on them with the screwdriver and the other two will pop out with a little persuasion.

When the grille is off the badge has a back section on it which can be simply unclipped gently by hand. The badge section is held by 3 main clips and these need to be rotated clockwise as you look at it from the rear of the grille. Before you can rotate it the two lower clips need to be released by opening up the clips till they slide over the angled locking slide.

The front chrome part of the badge is then separated from the grey plastic rear housing by undoing the clips (of which there are a lot!) one by one and gently but firmly levering the front off as you go.

As they say - fitting is the opposite of removal

A few pics...

OEM grille

DSC00333.jpg

Back section removed

DSC00334.jpg

Angled locking slide

DSC00336.jpg

Separated front and rear badge sections

DSC00337.jpg

Give plenty of spare film around the badge so it can fold over the edges.

DSC00339.jpg

Cut and stuck before slicing the centre sections

DSC00340.jpg

Wrapped

DSC00342.jpg

Mounted back on the grille

DSC00343.jpg

and on the car (bit dark)

nose1.jpg

Matt-VNS
Car was £20k and plan on spending another £10k on tuning and visual mods. I was going to get a Golf, but liked the look of the chunkier Polo more 8-)

£30k? :shock: Where do you work and can I have a job? :lol:

Hurdy

£30k? :shock: Where do you work and can I have a job? :lol:

Sheffield and no! :-D