Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Hurdy

Hurdy's 6R Polo GTI

erixtar1992

mate, this is awesome!

SAMBA VAN MAN
The kit is designed specifically for the GTI, but the kit will fit under any 6R Polo as long as the alloys are 17" or over. Some 17" alloys may also need spacers if they don't have decent spoke clearance.

I bought the kit from TAROX UK HQ as they were a test fit, but you can get them from JKM or Awesome GTI

I'm unsure if it is easy or not to convert the drums to discs, but it can be done for sure.

Which performance parts are you interested in?

Well i would be after a decent coil over setup, have been looking at KW Varient 2 or maybe Varient 3, I can't find a cold air induction kit for a 1.4 16v and maybe uprate the front brakes when funds allow.

Hurdy
Well i would be after a decent coil over setup, have been looking at KW Varient 2 or maybe Varient 3, I can't find a cold air induction kit for a 1.4 16v and maybe uprate the front brakes when funds allow.

Personally I don't like the KW's. The Eibach coilovers I had put me off as they use KW dampers and they were shot on mine in just over a year......twice!! So I went Bilstein and they were brilliant in comparison. The monotube dampers are a level beyond what most other manufacturers use and can really take some hammer. 8-)

Hurdy

So, it is the return of the Performance box. :badgrin:

0-60mph runs on a flat surface and done each way. Surface was dry, but with some mud in parts. Tyres were normal road tyres (not semi slicks), the car had it's full interior minus the spare (aerosol onboard!) and a full tank of fuel. Runs were done in sport mode with the traction control off.

0-60mph in 5.1 second both ways :thumbsup:

Here is a pic of the performance box screen.

IMAG0262.jpg

Hurdy

I need to set a few targets.

I'm looking for 0-60mph in under 5 seconds.

0-100mph in under 13.5 seconds and a sub 14 second 1/4 mile.

These times hopefully should be achievable with the mods I already have and would put the car on par with some modded ED30 times.

Also.....I think a sub 8 min 30 second B to G of the Nurburgring should be achievable too. :badgrin:

Hurdy

Whilst bored I knocked up some comparison graphs and separated torque from power. These were all done on the same dyno. The overall area under the graph is the important thing and shows how the power/torque delivery changes as the tuning progresses.

POWER

Dynocomparisons.jpg

TORQUE

Dynocomparisonslbft.jpg

The difference on power and torque delivery from stock to mapped is phenomenal, at some points the difference between mapped and stock is 70bhp on power and at other points up to 150lbft more on torque

Hurdy

Another performance box update. Done with the first half on the flat and then a kink to a slightly uphill second half. Brave pill swallowed, dry start with damp patches. Had to brake just before the 1/4 mile mark, otherwise I would have run out of available surface.

0-100mph with another consistent 0-60mph

IMAG0268.jpg

1/4 mile time - this was only just achieved and I was braking before the end of it. Remember this wasn't a bang straight run and the whole of the second half was uphill. If I had the room then I reckon probably a 102mph terminal would have been about right and if it had all been straight and flat, who knows?

IMAG0269.jpg

So, I guess I need to adjust my targets a little!!

Hurdy
I need to set a few targets.

I'm looking for 0-60mph in under 5 seconds.

0-100mph in under 13.5 seconds and a sub 14 second 1/4 mile.

These times hopefully should be achievable with the mods I already have and would put the car on par with some modded ED30 times.

Also.....I think a sub 8 min 30 second B to G of the Nurburgring should be achievable too. :badgrin:

Need a few more targets already ....... :badgrin:

0-60mph - target still under 5 seconds

0-100mph - new target is 13 seconds

1/4 mile - new target is 13.6 seconds

dirt_monkey

Holy monkey balls 5.1 is still pretty quick! For a polo!

Hurdy
Holy monkey balls 5.1 is still pretty quick! For a polo!

5.1 is fast for most cars ;)

Hurdy

A couple of small mods today 8-)

A Mini "Fast" has found its way onto my dash

IMAG0272.jpg

And the red GTI badge.

IMAG0274.jpg

Ross74h

A Mini what??? Never heard of them.

Very cool Polo though. Wish I could afford to spend that much on my car!

I'm still not really sold on the DSG tho. Our Superb and my old Fabia had it and whilst it's a brilliant bit if kit I find it makes the performance a bit boring. Makes it too easy to go fast.

Hurdy

So, here is a bit of an explanation of why I ended up with the Polo GTI............

The graph below shows my acceleration curve in comparison with four other performance cars. The lower the line on the graph the faster it is.

As you can see it isn't until 130-140kph that even the 395bhp Golf would get to the same speed as my Polo GTI. However, because I would have accelerated faster up to that point my car would be further ahead of the Golf at the point they are at the same speed. The Focus doesn't even get to the same speed as my Polo until 160kph (100mph).

Comparisonaccellerationcopy.jpg

Hurdy
A Mini what??? Never heard of them.

Very cool Polo though. Wish I could afford to spend that much on my car!

I'm still not really sold on the DSG tho. Our Superb and my old Fabia had it and whilst it's a brilliant bit if kit I find it makes the performance a bit boring. Makes it too easy to go fast.

The Americans had a model of a rabbit called a "fast" and they were sold with GTI's over there.

DSG grows on you, but mine definitely needs a DSG remap as I am nearing the torque limit for it's stock software. 8-)

Ross74h

mmm, I found (this is gonna sounds REALLY odd) that, having been for a spin in a vRS and the up the same road five mins later (with the same people in my car) the manual 1.2 TSi was "only" pulling about 10mph slower by the time I backed off.

Still would have a GTi tho!

Hurdy
mmm, I found (this is gonna sounds REALLY odd) that, having been for a spin in a vRS and the up the same road five mins later (with the same people in my car) the manual 1.2 TSi was "only" pulling about 10mph slower by the time I backed off.

Still would have a GTi tho!

What speed did you back off at?

Believe me a mapped GTI is a different animal. It has over 60bhp and 100lbft extra over a stock gti at some points on the performance curves. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hurdy

Ross74h

about twice as fast as I should be going!

I`ve found that the 1.4 TSi engine seems to be the only one that (in stock form) doesnt feel more powerful than its official figures say it should be. But then i would think a map releases a lot more oomph from it and makes it feel a lot quicker.

Given the choice I think VW should have made the GTi / Cupra / vRS with a manual option - but then the car could / would have been a grand or so cheaper!

SAMBA VAN MAN

This polo is developing great fella i love logging into this site just to see what you have done :D Just as a matter of interest how much doe's doing like suspension,bigger wheels, and maybe a brake upgrade effect your insurance cost? Do you think you could get a 1.4 remapped? Keep up the great work.

Hurdy

All that you have mentioned will add to your insurance. I'm with Adrian Flux who are mod friendly anyway, but ensure you declare everything. A 1.4 normally aspirated car can be mapped, but you will not see big increases. You may see a 10% increase in power if you are lucky and only if you do the intake and full exhaust as well as the remap. This is why unless you have very deep pockets it is best to have a forced induction powered car if you want to make decent power gains.

Leon

congrats on appearing on polodriver.com!

Hurdy
congrats on appearing on polodriver.com!

Cheers, Yeah Richard PM'd me, but until earlier today I didn't know he had the brake feature up. 8-)

Hurdy

I'm at it again!!

Teaser pic....

DSC00431.jpg

daveb142

You mad man :lol:

This is awesome! Can't believe the power you've got from it! haha

Nice one bud :)

Hurdy

Did some prep work for the uprated intercooler & radiator last week as shown in the previous post. Took the front end off and measured up the OEM set-up and took sh!tloads of photo's and sent them off to Pace Products.

So as a result Pace are making me an uprated Intercooler & Radiator and should see it after the new year.

Previous PACE intercoolers have been tested and proven to give around 5% extra recouped power through decreased charge temps over OEM set-ups. Mine will obviously have the radiator too. If the car recoups 5% power then it should increase power by around 12bhp. Weight including extra radiator coolant will increase the weight by 8kg, but I can live with that if it gives me the power it should and the extra cooling as this little motor gets very hot under the bonnet.

Should be the same as below...

Stock IC Dimensions

80mm Tube Width

96mm Stack Height

617mm Tube Length

= 4.73 litres

IMG_20111207_183606.jpg

IMG_20111207_183617.jpg

Pace Products IC Dimensions

90mm tube width

145 stack height

550mm tube length

= 7.17 litres

= 35% increase

DSC01948.JPG

DSC01952.JPG

023.jpg

Stock radiator

Dimensions

28mm thick x 730 wide x 410 high = around 8.4litres

IMG_20111207_185111.jpg

IMG_20111207_185145.jpg

Pace Products radiator

Dimensions

50mm thick x 730 wide 410 high = around 15 litres = 78% increase

DSC01953.JPG

DSC01954.JPG

dirt_monkey

That new intercooler looks the business! Some pretty tight packaging going on there as standard though.