Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Guest stuart_hatch

How to install component speakers in a MK4

Guest stuart_hatch

How to install component speakers in a MK4 with out damaging existing wiring (this is a rough draft, will be cleaned up soon)

Clicky

Oh and its over 6mb, so right click and save as its ment to bloody link argh

Guest Warrmr

nice FAQ one problem. the idea of fitting componetns apart from them being uprated thus sounding better. is to seperate the soundstage rasing it out of the door and bringing it uptowards teh dash hence some tweets are dirctional so you can aim the sound.

i would have mounted the tweets where the oem ones are keeping the soundstage where it is as i find it perfect.

Guest stuart_hatch
nice FAQ one problem. the idea of fitting componetns apart from them being uprated thus sounding better. is to seperate the soundstage rasing it out of the door and bringing it uptowards teh dash hence some tweets are dirctional so you can aim the sound.

i would have mounted the tweets where the oem ones are keeping the soundstage where it is as i find it perfect.

For true stereo sound quality the tweaters should be near the woofers, hense most audi's/vw's etc have them on the doors now, i have them on the doors on my toledos and they sound a hell of alot better

Guest wrighty

when you start changing the OE speakers, tweeter placement is very much a case of trial and error, which is why you should always move them about until you find where they sound best.

i should imagine that when the manufacturer designs a car, they experiment where the speakers should be placed, not just slap the mids in the bottoms of the door and the tweeters somewhere near the mirror randomly. It will be done to be make the system sound as good as possible.

stuart_hatch is quite right in what he says about stereo imaging, which is best created by having a 'point source', ie the tweeter within 6" of the mid, but in a car this can result in whats known as the rainbow effect - sound coming up into the middle of the car by the centre console and dropping off into the door bins where the tweeters are.

whats normally recommended is placing the tweeters on a blob of blue tak and sticking them all around the dash, A-pillar etc until you end u with a well balanced integrated sound. you dont want the sound stage lifted so high that you can tell where the tweeters are and equally where the mids are.

Guest stuart_hatch

whats normally recommended is placing the tweeters on a blob of blue tak and sticking them all around the dash, A-pillar etc until you end u with a well balanced integrated sound. you dont want the sound stage lifted so high that you can tell where the tweeters are and equally where the mids are.

V good tip, i was told that ages ago when i had a 106 on the forums there

Guest andrewcampbell2003

sorry about the stupid question, but does the crossover need a power supply? and if so, does this need to then be turned on and off by the headunit?

Also, why do connect the wires where the standard tweeters are? will that not short circuit the wire or am i being silly?!

You have inspired me to get a some btw, £30ish from CAD, gonna put my ones that are in there now in the back for the people in the back

Thanks in advance

Drew

rindiesel

I'm thinkin abt doing that but to the rear doors, so that there are four speakers, like REAL cars:-p

has any one done that before?? before i uh.. haha wreck something

Guest stuart_hatch
I'm thinkin abt doing that but to the rear doors, so that there are four speakers, like REAL cars:-p

has any one done that before?? before i uh.. haha wreck something

no point, you sit in the front dont you?

I have components in the the front and rear of my toledo, i just have the fronts amped up and the rears turned off, sound is immense

rindiesel

true, but there it will also give better sound quality if its coming from more directions..

thats a fact;)

whats also a fact is that reason two is cause my friends always say how weak it is, which makes me feel like less of a man haha

Guest stuart_hatch
true, but there it will also give better sound quality if its coming from more directions..

thats a fact;)

whats also a fact is that reason two is cause my friends always say how weak it is, which makes me feel like less of a man haha

Not true, in Sound Quality show cars, the cars have one set of components and a sub, nothing else, and they sound great.

Was sitting in a audi s4 the other day, it had £600 odd quid 3 way front components, a alpine F1 head unit (£1500) and a couple of diamond audio subs (£1200) and this system will blow your head off, its truely astounding, and he didnt have rear speakers!!

Guest wrighty

thats a fact;)

a decent set of front components, with a suitably powered amp will fill the car with sound.

more doesnt also equal better.

Guest psibob84

sorry to resurrect an old topic but does anyone have the zip file still that could upload somewhere as it 404's now

cheers

Guest stuart_hatch
sorry to resurrect an old topic but does anyone have the zip file still that could upload somewhere as it 404's now

cheers

I will reupload it now

Guest psibob84

cheers stuart

would have replied sooner but havnt been on the forum in a while

lol i like the "spinny cutter thing"

Edited by psibob84

Guest stuart_hatch

Yeh, well that was just a rough draft, but I'm too lazy to actually make a good one :p

Tom7

hey first of all gd guide, bt i hav 1 question...i understand now bout the wires going into the crossover, bt the crossover its self should go the head unit shouldnt it?? cos the speakers cable n tweeters cables r going into the crossover, n not the head unti, so they must go through the crossover and then into the headunit...bt which cable do i use for this n where abouts do they go in the head unit??

Lyons
better sound quality if its coming from more directions..

thats a fact;)

wheres foxie when you need him!!!?? :lol::lol::lol:

polo-man

can someone reupload the guide to a different host as the camera junkies thing dont work for me :S need help getting door off to upgrade my components? :D

Lyons

you dont NEED to take the door card off, you can just pop the cover off the speaker and screw a new one in.

Edited by Rob123

polo-man

:-0 REALLY ? doesn't look like the speaker grill would fit through the hole by pulling it out?

Guest stuart_hatch
you dont NEED to take the door card off, you can just pop the cover off the speaker and screw a new one in.

And how do you fit the crossover then?

Guest rafati

Door card removal was going well until I couldnt get it off, the window winder seems to be keeping it on and I cant get it off! How do you manage to remove the doorcard if you dont have electric windows?

AMD_Man

the window winders come off, just push the collet between the door and the winder gently parallel to the door until you feel it start to go and then push it in that direction until it clicks, the winder then just slides off the shaft

Had been struggling trying to locate a good position for my crossovers and then remembered this, so had a look then went back to my car and wondered why the door cards were so different, then it clicked, you have a 3 door :D

Edited by AMD_Man

Guest liddleninja

Been looking for a guide for door card removal all week! This was just what I needed.

Many Thanks

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.