Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
VdoubleU

Polo harlequin! - Restoration's underway

VdoubleU

After years of wanting one and a year of looking for one I've finally got one!! It's got high mileage, 165,000, but the engine runs nice and smooth. It's a bit tatty around the edges but it's probably the best condition polo I've bought yet - saying that's probably going to come back and bite me.

Well we did a 2 hour drive to go and pick it up and me and my dad couldn't smile wide enough! There's a bit of rust on the arches, very minor, and minor rust on a few panels. When we got it home I went to open the door and the door handle came off - was no screw holding it in. The speakers don't work, simple wiring job. But the wheels are feking amazing condition! Don't even look like they've been refurbed just really clean!

The plans for this year:

*Fix door handle - probably do that tomorrow weather permitting

*Fix speakers - tomorrow

*Cambelt, oil change - general stuff when you buy a car.

*Gradually get each panel sorted, can do panel by panel as colour match isn't vital as long as it's near enough.

*But some 16v seats to steal the foam out of as the foam in the current seats has long gone - no tears though, well a tiny one.

*Machine polish it.

Only got one photo at the moment was to excited to take photos! Polished the wing and bumper and they came up nicely. The colours are really vibrant in person! Should be going to ultimate dubs next sunday in it.

12865866695_c6e067a6e4.jpg
Edited by vdoubleu
  • Like 1

GreatRaz12

I can't wait to see this now. I won't be at ud this year but please say this will be at tatton park this year!!!!

Edited by GreatRaz12

VdoubleU

Yeah It'll be at tatton park :D The colours are so much brighter in person. Took another photo this morning

12875253585_c4372391ae.jpg

BigSexyRob

I will one day own one haha ❤

I'm guessing its the turquoise base car?

Elijah

Lovely car. That's some serious mileage for a mk4 polo.

VdoubleU

Yeah it's pistachio green. It was version 2. Was my least favourite but love it now I've seen it in person!

I know the mileage is high but the shell's really good. If it was rotten I'd of walked away but engines are cheap now for 6ns so if worse comes to worse and it blows its not a huge cost.

Going in tomorrow for a wheel bearing and a check over to see what needs to be done for the mot next month

Edited by vdoubleu

Elijah

Good point about the engines. There is one of these running about by me an elderly lady has had it almost from new.

keilcritten

loving the harlequin dude

VdoubleU

Cheers :D My dad's took it into work today and dentaid have removed the dents on it, there was only 2-3 small ones any way! Also to have the wheel bearing done.

GreatRaz12

Cant wait!!! Let us know how it goes later today if you can please!!!!

Thanks pal.

keilcritten

definitely need to get some new shoes for it, low harlequins look so sick

VdoubleU

The wheel bearing was fucked! Got a new one put on and it runs like a dream. Dentaid managed to get all the dents out by the looks of it. I was surprised because there was quite a harsh small dent above the handle but that's gone. The engine all seems good and underneath seems sound so should be okay for the MOT next month. Fixed the door handle and lock as well, getting in through the boot was annoying ha.

I'd love to lower it and put some wheels on it but going to focus on the body work and interior first. Also, still got some things to do to the other 6n :D

I'll try and get a photo in a bit but it's dark. I'm going to give it a good clean Thursday so will get loads of photos :D

Edited by vdoubleu

VdoubleU
Got some photos a bit poor because of the dark.

Front view

12910762354_fc4831f4e4.jpg

Rear view

12910759104_7d19414175.jpg

VdoubleU

Got some photos of it in the work shop :D Definitely going to give it a good machine polish Thursday weather permitting.

12936203984_03539008f7.jpg

12936203444_1953bd4375.jpg

thommass

yes this has made me so happy, came to update my thread and i see another!! look forward to the updates, where are you based?

thommass

Also just noticed the mileage, funny enough the second harlekin I'm buying next week has 172,000 miles it'll be mint Haha

VdoubleU

Live in walsall near birmingham. Lost my highest mileage harlekin title then :( ha Liking the updates may have to steal a few ideas ;)

Bit of an update, machine polished the one side (started raining). It came up really well, it's now even brighter!

12970169925_e94c1b8c57.jpg
A photo of my polo army

12970169325_8c50691f0f.jpg
These are a few harlequin specific photos like the gear knob, steering wheel, interior and badge.
If any one knows where you can get these badges please tell me. Need a new one

12970159965_a5531cda4e.jpg
The interior is the same as the 16v one but with its own unique pattern. I believe it's called 'Jester'.

12970300083_aee893b411.jpg
Blue leather steering wheel

12970574264_d29c108dc7.jpg
Gear knob is the same as the usual 6n one but has harlekin on it

12970566874_ae40fd0341.jpg
I like the number plates it has on it, don't think they came like this

12970580724_65dd6a46c0.jpg
If any one has some 16v seats with good foams at a decent price near birmingham let me know.

thommass

I'm so jealous mate i wanted a different base colour for my second one, i know where you can get the harlekin decals from one moment ill get the line, from germany though but fast postage

edit, found them cannot direct link you to it for some reason but if you go onto http://www.vw-classicparts.de/shop/

6N0853750B 3LP << thats the part number, just realised theres none in stock damn wish i bought more now.

Edited by thommass

VdoubleU

Green base was my least favourite base when looking but I love it now!

Cheers for the link. I'll message them see if they'll get any more in stock.

thommass

No worries let me know how you get on as the one I'm picking up Monday doesn't have a sticker

VdoubleU

They said they're out of stock and not looking to get any more for now :(

thommass

Yeah I'm guessing there old stock discontinued, I'm going to go to a sign writing company the weekend see if they can make an exact replica sticker if they can I'll get a few printed

VdoubleU

Ill definitely have some off you if they can. Let me know.

Edited by vdoubleu

VdoubleU
Bought some polo harlequins from the shop :D

13092138013_fe5abb039c.jpg

Had the wishbone bushes replaced, they were knackered. Need to replace the top mount on the suspension next I think.

VdoubleU

My dad found an old advert that one of the previous owners put up on gumtree for the car. So my dad text the number and got a reply! Got talking to the man and he really reassured us about the mileage, as we have no service history! He said he bought the car after seeing it with a sign stuck on the roof advertising cheap MOTs! He then restored it doing a lot of body work, steering wheel retrim, alloys refurbed. He even managed to find the photos he had of the car he used to sell it. He's also looking to buy another one which was given away on 'The big breakfast' as a prize, he's buying it from the original owners who won it and are using it as a shed! This owner was from the Isle of Wight

Warning picture heavy!

13250839515_b3b8c809b7.jpg

13250838025_cf12cca433.jpg

13250983043_0df63057b0.jpg

13250981663_95a139c46a.jpg

13250978633_b03476fb91.jpg

13250891015_36415a5220.jpg

13251234264_18798d2123.jpg

13251035453_37075cd709.jpg

13250884565_67d764651c.jpg

13251028973_2f49b00832.jpg

13251229134_d33f5241c7.jpg