Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
spilz

My Second Indigo Blue 16v!

spilz

So I used to own this...

103_4500.jpg

Back in the day with ClubPolo members...

Photo0233.jpg

I now own this, but it's a bit of a long term thing now, as I'm buying a house.

JettaLDFlow_zps186a8621.jpg

10390151_10152178344538106_5704415653249

In the meantime, I was after a daily driver, and my mate found this little gem on ebay

IMG_20150411_135142_zpskqeozfmk.jpg

I got it for a ridiculously good price, it was on for spares or repairs, spluttering when it gets warm. Part of me bought it as I do genuinely love them, but another part of me was glad I'd saved it, it had engine donor written all over it, I plan to keep it in one piece.

I bought it from a lovely couple, who just wanted it to go to a good home.

My mate trailered it home, and it was fixed the same day, the EGR Valve being at fault.

So, the car.

It's done 53k, been garaged all it's life, so there's barely any rust, the underside is immaculate. Everything works, even the windows. There's not even rust under the mud flaps.

20150412_154048_zps48hu91vk.jpg

It's clearly been owned by (2) enthusiasts it's whole life.

IMG_20150411_163213_zpsxq61kzbz.jpg

It's developed a slight clutch issue since I've had it, but I'm working on that. Other than that, the only issues I've had, is a blocked drainage hole under the wipers, which led to this...

IMG_20150508_203859_zps4zt9pvzn.jpg

...and a leaking cam cover, which led to blowtorching the old gasket out (3 hour job) and saving £200 for a new cover.

IMG_20150420_193900_zpsnpwdtf7v.jpg

IMG_20150412_100140_zps8fsora5f.jpg

I've given it a polish with my DA polisher, and sealed it with a glaze and wax. It's come up really well, I could arguably go over it again, but it's a daily at the end of the day, it takes 2 days to get it dirty.

IMG_20150426_182356_zpsk316kjuz.jpg

I don't have any immediate plans for it, they're pretty fun straight out of the box!

• Like 2

r10tz0r

I'm jealous! haha

• Like 1

spilz

Haha, it's a minter. Glad I could save it from being broken for parts.

spilz

Thought I'd update my thread as I haven't done it for a while.

Nothing overly exciting has happened to the Polo, as I've bought a house and all my money is going there at the mo!

I have however managed to (just about) keep on top of a few niggling things with it!

The clutch pedal, sticks whilst pulling away, and creaks pretty badly. This only happens when it's had chance to warm up though??

My mate fitted a new clutch kit, release bearing and guide sleeve (which was broken). The problem went away for about a month, then it was just as bad!

IMG_20150727_181850_zpssnvzknsv.jpg

IMG_20150726_120637_zpsfpuxjd63.jpg

I recently changed the clutch cable, which made no difference at all, it is a shitty Pagid one though, and that's what came off it.

Other than that she's had an oil change, having done only 4k since the last one (56k in total since 1999!). My mate helped me fit this too, which turned out to be a pain in the arse due to the coolant tube that goes round the back of the engine to feed the water pump!

IMG-20151227-WA0008_zpscpsispwn.jpeg

IMG-20151227-WA0004_zpsmco9p8pa.jpeg

Gave her a wash whilst I was waiting for my mate to come round, Auto Finesse's Avalanche was incredible for getting 2 months of grime off!

20151227_104507_zpskcqr5aeo.jpg

Near future plans are to get to the bottom of the clutch issue, and some coilovers! Not going to do too much else to this really as I think 6n's are pretty cool out of the box.

The best thing about this car by far, is the fact that it feels exactly the same as the one I had when I was 18/19. These things are seriously underrated!

I have no plans to paint/sticker anything bright green ever again! I wish I had that Zender spoiler now though!

5731_113156348105_1975363_n.jpg

• Like 1

r10tz0r

I remember fitting a thermostat on my old one, the hose you mention was a pain in the ass, even more so when the O-ring that seals it had given up the ghost, it was a complete fail from the start, when I eventually got it all done I forgot the put one of the clips in that holds the blank plug next to the temp sender, I only found out when I'd got two miles down the road and it pushed the blank out pissing coolant everwhere, in the freezing cold and pouring windy rain. Not my most fun dasy, but I'll never forget that clip again haha.

The clutch issue you mention, couldn't be a sign of the clutch pedal going could it?

spilz

Do you have a a blank next to the temp sender then? I have two sensors??? Lol

A lot of water got wasted the day we did the thermostat housing haha.

I don't see how the clutch pedal could go, there's not really much to it... It's a mystery, definitely only happens when I've been driving for a while though!

r10tz0r

On the old one I did, one had a yellow temp sender in and other was plugged. Clutch pedals are quite a common problem, the pedal box cracks and clutch becomes useless haha

spilz

Yeah I'd heard something like that, I did have a quick look and it seemed to be ok, I'll get my mate to look at it as I'll openly admit I have no idea sometimes haha.

spilz

Thought I'd update this!

Nothing much has happened in the grand scheme of things, the stuff people do to cars these days baffles me, especially the ones that do it on their drive with no mechanical knowledge beforehand.

So my mate had to get my gearbox out again... Another guide sleeve had snapped. Lesson learned, buy genuine! If you're reading this, please don't buy a cheap one if yours has broken! I bought a cheap release bearing at first too, and it was terrible quality. Genuine bearing and sleeve cost me about £50 from VW.

So as this little Polo is my daily, and the Jetta needs a bit of work, I thought I'd just get it looking reasonable. I got some coilovers and free wind deflectors and they've been fitted, I'm working on my cam cover to get that polished up, but I think I'll leave it there with this. It's a 57k AFH in what I think is one of the best colours for these, gonna just look after it! That said, I would love a set of fogs and a Zender spoiler. The charm with these cars is how underrated they are, just lowered they look 1000 times better, and they're so nice to drive.

Here's a cheeky pic from last night. Looking forward to the Polo Social now!

20160522_195107.jpg

• Like 2

madnemo

^^^ How low is that?

Nimal

spilz

No idea to be honest. Front mud flaps are around 2cm off the floor.

Dean

What a beaut, see you at the polo social!

spilz

Thought I'd update this as it's been a while.

I've still got the car, it's been my daily for over five years now! I've just kept on top of things with it and kept it well maintained really.

I've ditched the wind deflectors for now, swapped over to my other wheels as they had good tyres and were just in the garage on my Mk1 Jetta. Here's a recent photo! Hoping to get along to the next Polo Social.

SAM06732.jpg

• Love it 1