Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Christian6N

The 1st Polo mk4 ever ...

Christian6N

... is located in the VW Automuseum in Wolfsburg.
It was produced in the factory in Spanien://Navarra/Pamplona in 1994 as first polo mk4 in serial production,
and it wears the chassis number 000001.
It's still in new condition, everything is in new condition, as you can see even the tyres.

Inside it smeels like it rolled out of the factory five minutes before, the typical smell of a new car.

der_erste_6N_01.jpg
der_erste_6N_02.jpg
der_erste_6N_03.jpg
der_erste_6N_04.jpg
der_erste_6N_05.jpg
der_erste_6N_06.jpg
der_erste_6N_07.jpg
der_erste_6N_08.jpg
der_erste_6N_09.jpg
der_erste_6N_10.jpg
der_erste_6N_11.jpg
der_erste_6N_12.jpg
der_erste_6N_13.jpg
der_erste_6N_14.jpg
der_erste_6N_15.jpg
der_erste_6N_16.jpg
der_erste_6N_17.jpg
der_erste_6N_18.jpg
der_erste_6N_19.jpg
der_erste_6N_20.jpg
der_erste_6N_21.jpg
der_erste_6N_22.jpg
der_erste_6N_23.jpg
der_erste_6N_24.jpg
der_erste_6N_25.jpg
der_erste_6N_26.jpg
der_erste_6N_27.jpg
der_erste_6N_28.jpg
der_erste_6N_29.jpg
der_erste_6N_30.jpg
der_erste_6N_31.jpg
der_erste_6N_32.jpg
der_erste_6N_33.jpg
der_erste_6N_34.jpg
der_erste_6N_35.jpg
der_erste_6N_36.jpg
der_erste_6N_37.jpg
der_erste_6N_38.jpg
der_erste_6N_39.jpg
der_erste_6N_40.jpg
der_erste_6N_41.jpg
der_erste_6N_42.jpg
der_erste_6N_43.jpg
der_erste_6N_44.jpg

cheers

Christian

• Like 4

r10tz0r

amazing, shame that grille piece is missing though! haha

wizardmanjm

You would think they would stick one on to make it look that much better lol

kiran_182

still only worth £400 :tongue:

• Like 1

VdoubleU

Have you tried buying just the grills for a 16v bumper :lol:

r10tz0r

Have you tried buying just the grills for a 16v bumper :lol:

Funnily enough, my exact same one fell out when I bumped something and I ran over it, cheaper to buy a whole bumper in the end just to get the grilles haha

edit: interesting how it also has a smooth boot, mine has a little ridge/lip across the top, first time I've seen it, do you know the reasons for the change Christian6n?

Edited by R10tz0r

VdoubleU

They did a mini pointless facelift in 98/99 from what I can tell from the differences to the pre 98 6n

Clocks, sunvisors, light switch and some other things were slightly different.

Edited by vdoubleu

nige8021

They did a mini pointless facelift in 98/99 from what I can tell from the differences to the pre 98 6n

Clocks, sunvisors, light switch and some other things were slightly different.

The changes to the clocks happened around Sept 97 the tailgate lip change was from memory around 95/6

• Like 1

Dean

I still want another 6n 16v..... :(

kwijibo_coupe

I sometimes think like that.....then I drive my GT and forget all about it :D

Dean

I sometimes think like that.....then I drive my GT and forget all about it :D

One is similar, boost and smiles rise :)

Christian6N

Hello,

That "integrated spolierlip" was updated in the Middle 1995 or 1996, i dunno exactely now, it was changed absolutely alone.

The big "gp" what it is called here in germany ("gp" stands for "große produktaufwertung" which means "great productupdate") which is indeed just a small update before the next big facelift comes along..... was in May 1997, the most remarkable updates were the keys with new Inline System, the newer backlighted Dials and Loads of smaller Changes which are not obvious on first sight, when you are not a mk4 Freak. For example the washerjets with newer system which covers the whole windscreen instead of four single watersquirts, the whole boardelectricsystem with complete new and different centralelectricbox, fusebox on the battery, a lot of newer connectorhousings in the whole wirelooms.... and many many more tiny tiny things.

As written above that was in May 1997.
For the base equipment the is a current-flow-diagram for the upgrated Polo mk4 from May 1997 on, and there is also a diagram from September 1997 on.

The thing is the first one from May 1997 on contents the diagram for the Immobiliser Generation 1 (fixed code) and the diagrams from September 1997 on contents the diagram for the Immobiliser Generation 2 (changing code). So there are just one or two wires more and different and thats the reason for two diffferent current flow diagrams of the base equipment.

But the big update from Golf3 Centralelectric to the newer one was May 1997. In Germany everybody calles this the old ZE and the new ZE, so the most people knows which generation inside the mk4 generation is meant.

Haha and it was me back in 2000 in the internetcafe (no computer yet) who invented these definitions with two Polo repairbooks in front of me and answering electricquestions on one of the first german poloforums. :-)

Hmm the lightswitch has never been updated, it was available with or without foglights and with or without switch for headlight adjustment, but no update.

In 1998/1999 they didn't do anything to the polo mk4, the faceliftpolo mk5 was nearly finished and as written above the last remarkable change update was in 1997.

Believe me, i know what i am talking about, exactely today i drive my polo mk4 for 19 Years. :-)

Btw: more pictures from polos in the VW Automuseum you can find here:
http://www.vwpolo6n.de/christian/2015/09/18/vw-automuseum-40-jahre-polo/

cheers

Christian

Edited by Christian6N
  • Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

Hmm the lightswitch has never been updated, it was available with or without foglights and with or without switch for headlight adjustment, but no update.

In 1998/1999 they didn't do anything to the polo mk4, the faceliftpolo mk5 was nearly finished and as written above the last remarkable change update was in 1997.

Believe me, i know what i am talking about, exactely today i drive my polo mk4 for 19 Years. :-)

I thought that the early light switches turned to the left then the later ones turned to the right? Or was it just a case of whatever they had laying around?

Christian6N

I thought that the early light switches turned to the left then the later ones turned to the right? Or was it just a case of whatever they had laying around?

Hey Mate,

Never seen that or heard of that before.

cheers

Christian

Edited by Christian6N

VdoubleU

My harlequin's turned left and my 99 polos turned right.

Christian6N

Errrrr what?

Are we talking about the same thing?

Any pictures?

Hmmm maybe again such a LHD/RHD difference like some others?

Or cos your harlekin is LHD and the other is RHD?

Now i am confused.

cheers

Christian

kwijibo_coupe

Early spec switch

Early_zpscsk0ukkj.jpg

Late spec switch

Late_zpsa6uvmlz2.jpg

• Like 1

Christian6N

Ah ok, now i understand, a typical RHD Polo Thing.

Wowthanks, can i keep the pictures for my Homepage/Blog?

Thats amazing.

I have also seen on the past 12 Poloshows other things i haven't seen on LHD Polos.

Old dials with new centralelectricbox for exmple.

So there were a couple of thing/changes which are just done on RHD Polos.....

The badges and the headlight protector were also just made for your british market......

So than i have to correct myself...... i know a lot about LHD Polos, on RHD Polos i am still learning.

Thx.

cheers

Christian

• Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

They aren't my pictures, just ones I found on Google.

Seems odd to me that they would make changes to the RHD Polos and not the LHD?

Christian6N

As you can see on the pics above from the first mk4 ever, you can see the lightswitch is as in my 9/96 and in my 06/97 and in all LHD Polos i have ever seen, till the end of production.

But, the dashboard with all its switches came from the seat ibiza 6k which had that all before.

For example the dialsunit without the digital milescounter, it came with analog cunter cos it was still mechanikally and not electrically in the seat ibiza. from polo mk4 on it came completely digitaly counted.

I didn't know that lightswitch before, in my opinion a RHD thing. Something which came alone like that bootlip which came alone outside any update facelift of the whole polo.

cheers

Christian

r10tz0r

sorry to drag this thread up, but can we get this thread pinned? would be a shame to have it lost among the other threads :)

• Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

Done. :D

• Like 3

Retrotub

Christian, do you ever see parts on polo's filter through pre update. What I mean is, lets say for example there was a 97 update, but some late 96 cars have some of the changes where they had run out of the old part pre update, but not all the changes?

In other manufacturers I've seen this. It may be more for unique to RHD as lower overall production and harder to plan for unique parts.

Jonnyboi

Ahh i remember looking at this last May. So cool!

The 9n3 cab was the highlight of the Polo's though!.

Dean

Christian, do you ever see parts on polo's filter through pre update. What I mean is, lets say for example there was a 97 update, but some late 96 cars have some of the changes where they had run out of the old part pre update, but not all the changes?

In other manufacturers I've seen this. It may be more for unique to RHD as lower overall production and harder to plan for unique parts.

Not sure if it's the same but the top of the boot lid changed between '95 - '97 I think, and the last log of 6N's V Plate got the rear disks etc. Not sure what else though.