• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r10tz0r

Alf - R10t's Nissan Almera N16 - JDM life yo

11 posts in this topic

So you may have seen in my build thread, I have inherited a new daily, its a lovely pink Nissan Almera N16 1.5 E

basically a poverty spec and one of the earliest models of its shape. the intent with this thing is just run it. nothing more. it's gonna replace the polos more labourious duties like shovelling the family around and big hikes, maybe even long journeys too. its spacious, comfy and quiet and it's actually a cracking little motor underneath the horrendous exterior.

MNIDp2c.jpg

or should I say, it was a cracking little motor, my dad has been battling poor running issues for a while with it, and while he confesses to never servicing it, the problem is much more serious than that!

the symptoms all point to air management or spark management, but no error codes ever pop up so it can be a tricky one to diagnose, until you look under the skin. thankfully the internet is awash with information about how the timing chains are made of the same chocolate polo gearboxes are made of, so i set to checking the chain out, as these symptoms are also indicative of a stretched chain.

if the tensioner protrudes more than 10mm from its housing, chain is stretched.

o9FIWuc.jpg

thats almost 15mm hahaha

for reference, a fresh chain looks like this

JylUNOo.jpg

so this is akin to being a few teeth out on a belt I guess.

I'm going to replace it of course, I can get a chain kit for circa £100.

one problem though, I've never changed even an aux belt before so this is massive challenge, but I'm confident in my abilties, and I have a book of lies (haynes) too. so look forward to it :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

looking further into changing the chain, I couldn't find much - if any - info online, so armed with my small amount of mechanical knowledge and a haynes manual just in case, I set about getting her ready for a new chain.

I figured it might be a good idea to document the whole thing, so made a little video of the process too. it can be found here

I know its not Polo related, or even german for that matter, but it might give you an insight into how similiar and also how different cars are!

Edited by r10tz0r

Should of given me a shout, I could of given you the Autodata printout :)

haha thanks Nige! I'm getting there though so I should be fine :D

Part 2 is up, she runs! no crunching, but does have a misfire!

I have had a few of these Almeras, they are the type of cars that nobody gives a second look but once you drive and own one they are great. The gearbox are common problems with the magic wand for a gearstick so its a guess if you get the right gear but thats on high mileage or abused cars. Parts are very cheap in the scrap yards for the above reasons. The front cross member is also a concern for corrosion at MOT time but i would have another one anyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

yeah I borrowed this a few months ago and I loved it, not a bad little car! I've never heard about gearbox problems on these before!

Edited by r10tz0r

Yeah its like the gear selector of Ford Fiestas, they wear and its guess a gear time but i have had 5 and have never had any issues. You can upgrade the interior for not much money either. The last one i had was a 1.8 Sport + anda guy travelled up from Devon, bought it and drove it back again. It wasnt mint but wasnt far off.

The rear tailgate is a rust trap just under the rear wiper so watch for that. The alloys are a cheap upgrade too. Heres a few i have had.

6de9647cd2c1583891650c0227de9309.jpg

6ba721ae17ba1edefa75bd259a8a15c2.jpg

b730653059b90843567b50a7030652e7.jpg

5bcf9308c47b601807c8b52903c1531f.jpg

1 person likes this

If you can stand all the jokes of pensioners cars and you need a blue rinse to drive one then stick with it, they are worth it.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

well bit of an update on the pink interceptor, she has been sat for a long long time, and has began to go green, I didnt get her back on the road for a few reasons, the most important one being the sheer cost of insuring it! nowhere would quote less that £1,000, and I was looking to spend around £400-500.

another issue was, while changing the chain, I took the sump and pickup home and gave them a good clean, and during transit must have damaged the sump which caused a pin prick hole that continuously leaked oil.

as it wasnt on the road it was left until I could be bothered to fix it, aside from the chain this was meant to be a no-cost car, essentially if something broke I'd leave it broken haha.

obviously I cant leave a sump leaking so in the end I found some motivation and time and when the car had self drained I got some chemical metal and patched up the sump.

The battery had died during this time, measuring 1.7v across terminals when tested, give it a good charge and the beast fired up first time!

now for the slightly depressing part, the issues that led me to change the chain still persisted after the change, although to a lesser fashion. In the end rather than spend countless hours and money trying to diagnose the issue and throwing parts at it, I've employed a work around that keeps the engine running. And I will say I have tried and tested many theories as to why the problem persists but none have proved fruitful.

so now she runs well, drives well, I even fixed the electric windows!

Only to start her up one morning to find none of the clocks work. so I check every fuse to find nothing wrong. check the grounds to find nothing wrong, check the wiring for voltages and continuity to find nothing wrong. indicators, eml, door ajar lights all function, just no clocks. so I remove them to find a component on the board fried

ooNTTst.jpg

unfortunately I dont know what value that resistor is or what is causing it to burn up, so I need to get a set of replacement clocks, which I'm not happy about, but it needs to be done because.....

shes going to a new owner! one of my best friends needs a 5 door car, and I jokingly said I have an pink 5 door almera, he wasnt joking when he said he'd have it, so we are swapping cars, I just need to MOT this and then we will swap, and I will become a clio owner again, for the third time :D:D:D when will I learn......

Edited by r10tz0r

Aha!

so it turns out it was actually a capacitor, which made things a bit easier, and I managed a repair :D