Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
sleag40

Vauxhall Cavalier

sleag40

Stuff has been happening - front brake lines were finished. 

a895cb913b6c.jpg 

Rear brake stuff assembled ready for fitting. 

89e8d51174c4.jpg 

Powder coating now back with me. 

2a77bc21974b.jpg 

22075af389af.jpg 

2b484e7af824.jpg 

71e80ca1bfe8.jpg 

🙂

sleag40

Time was in short supply, but I got the brake gubbins fitted. 

588d7ed9d23b.jpg 

Brake lines and anti roll bar went on too. 

370860022890.jpg 

Just need to fit the beam mounting bushes and it can go into storage until the time comes to fit it. 

c0915e9490e1.jpg 

Jim1500

Amazing work as usual!

sleag40

Many thanks Jim! 

Rear beam bushes were pushed in with next doors" hydraulic press. 

9bd83832a40b.jpg 

Mr Haynes suggested using threaded bar and "distance pieces". Definitely easier said than done. 

Now all undercarriage gubbins is ready for action, attention can be turned towards getting the bodywork ready for paint. I need a new compressor before I can get some epoxy primer on there, so I aim to get that sorted before I bare metal all the areas requiring bodywork.  "Just" a paint job away from reassembly now.   🙂

Jim1500

Looking forward to seeing the paint go on!

• Like 1

sleag40

Time has been in short supply again, however, all the nice ready to fit stuff has been packed away to keep it all clean and dry until reassembly commences. 

All the rubber bungs for the underside have been cleaned of all sealant and muck ready to go back in. 

72081b023a0c.jpg 

A couple of bungs were missing from the spare wheel well - if anyone has any spares, or knows of somewhere that sells them I'd be most grateful. 🙂

The gear selector gubbins had cleaned up pretty well a while back, but was now filthy again. A better job was done, then it was wrapped up and packed away. 

2aa25c0293cf.jpg 

Had a good look at all the work done on the under side, no rust has appeared, so I'll get stuck in to scotching it all in preparation for applying the stone chip coating. 

b9449265b242.jpg 

Once my new compressor arrives, I can start making some decent progress on the body. 🙂

sleag40

Cheers! Process is bare metal, Hydrate80, epoxy mastic (3 coats) Gravitex stone chip, then a Liberal coat of Dynax UB to finish. Obviously I'll leave the wax application until all the paintwork is done.
Compressor has landed. 

264a9634d2b3.jpg 

Need to rearrange a load of junk and mk2 bits to fit it in by a wall, then after a monster cleaning session (ridiculously dusty in the shed at present) I can finally get back to the bodywork. 🙂

sleag40

Didn't fancy a cleaning session with today's available time - thought that I'd tackle a job that I've never done before. That job was the removal of bonded glass. 

b2951cd3d0d5.jpg 

I'm sure its a lot easier with the correct tools, but a Stanley knife, plastic card and a screwdriver, along with a bit of bloody minded perseverence, saw the job done without damaging the glass. The glass in the replacement tailgate is heavily scratched, so the glass from the original tailgate needs to be re used. I'll probably smash the damaged glass out of the replacement tailgate to save time. 🙂

sleag40

Monster cleaning and tidying session happened at the weekend. 

73f68c7f156d.jpg 

b8f588fcb1d0.jpg 

Once spruced up, I started to make it dusty again by scotching the underside to prepare it for stone chip application. 

fb612d43877c.jpg 

2e7c7e547186.jpg 

Should get it all cleaned and stone chipped at the weekend. 🙂

sleag40

The stone chip is finally on there! Cleaned all the sanding muck off yesterday, masked and sprayed today. 

It goes on shiny and black. 

b11f45f9da2d.jpg 

And dries textured and dark grey. 

5db87a024ecb.jpg 

The blackness will be restored once its been hit with the underbody wax. 

Few more pics of the newly coated underside. 

3aa3d418e0ac.jpg 

f9cd5ae54e3d.jpg 

908c834a2869.jpg 

d13be3e6b4ae.jpg 

abfb3a66ff29.jpg 

Need to get some epoxy primer on the welded sections of the body now so I can get on with preparation for paint. 🙂