Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
nope

MK2 Classic

nope

Here goes!

DSC_0073.JPG.41802f7b6923d5c6269aa3081c34caaa.JPG

As of August 2016 I became the new keeper of this old girl.  I'd been looking for one for around 4 months before this 1.05L popped up for sale. A friend and I made a 3 hour trip across the country to go and see it with the intention of buying it no matter what. So I did... even though first impressions were that it needs a lot of work!  I'd wanted a new project to get stuck into anyway so it didn't put me off. The odd patch of rust here and there, grille smashed from someone reversing into it, dents here and there. Just generally needs a lot of love thrown its way.

DSC_0080.JPG.3d9ef94bd11032aba7230c783711dba8.JPG

First mod, lose the window stickers. 

Being a fan of the smooth flowing JDM 70's and 80's cars, I pulled all the door bumper strips off, which make the car look untidy. Also removed the bumpers to see what it looked like. Also to gauge if there was any more rust I hadn't seen. DSC_0091.JPG.337e065d7f071d5ae31c8cd42ea42faf.JPG

I then went a step further and pulled all the rivets out of the arch trims and removed all of that too, again to see if there was any rust hiding on the arch lips. I definitely got away lucky as all the arches came up really nice. Its just a shame about the two front wings as the passenger side has a very bad repair from a previous dented which looks like it was kind of pulled straight and painted over with a rattle can and theres clear coat overspray all over the place. The drivers side has a crease right on the swage line where it meets the arch, drivers looks repairable, but a replacement passenger was ordered.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a31c107f08879a83imageproxy.php?img=&key=a31c107f08879a83

Edited by nope
  • Like 1

nope

DSC_0093.JPG.282741975cb28b950c9e005ab8b86bf9.JPG

Next up to order a couple of doors, passenger door has a big crease vertically down the door which I knew wouldn't press out well. The drivers door has a massive rust bubble across the whole of the lower section of the outer skin, I know you can re-skin them but thought by the time i've cut and welded it all, it would've been easier to get new doors and paint over them.  So searched for a while and picked up a couple of white ones from ebay. Sold in the description as 'professionally painted' I didn't collect them myself otherwise I would've refused them.. paint was literally just emulsion wall paint that had been rollered on. The pictures on the ebay listing hid this very well. Nevermind eh...  Below you will see my painfully long attempt to strip the paint back (to find that they had been stripped back before with what must have been an angle grinder and have left ripples in the metal, so back to bare metal it goes...

doors.thumb.jpg.6f463f8007b9c9631988c4c28ec6425d.jpg

Not too bad underneath, just one or two small dents that were hidden by the paint, these can easily be fillered in and then they will be ready for the primer, paint and fitting.

Next up comes winter, and theres nothing I can do on the car outside so time to make some space in the shed and get the car stripped down.

DSC_0621.JPG.6ed8024a847e7725b51bc4225d267ec1.JPG

Theres a nice polo sized space over on the left there, a couple of weekends later and its in.

• Like 1

nope

DSC_0660.JPG.49efd05f2490e13ea68678f454bfc9a0.JPG

Time to start stripping it down!

DSC_0776.JPG.1fa47bdc3ce172b2c63a7d107f7ad004.JPG

Engine service done, replaced a leaking sump gasket... cambelt, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, leads, distributor, camshaft seal, coolant all new. Good to go!

Also have a new fuel tank ready to go in. (original fuel tank would leak with anything over 15 litres in it, some shoddy quickmetal repair around the filler neck meant it would leak fuel wherever it sat) The rear axle came off in order to dislodge the fuel tank that was well and truly tucked up in the chassis.

DSC_0758.JPG.9d37969b6d79a2397796aff2fc17f4a2.JPG

Everyone likes a good before and after photo!

Edited by nope
  • Like 1

Dean

Welcome to the forums! Great little project you have there.

• Like 1

nope

Rear axle back from powder-coating with all the new goodies arrived.

Polybushes for the rear beam to chassis mounts, complete new drum overhaul kit, braided hoses and new brake hardlines.

DSC_0804.JPG.7ef818a34c3f0158bcca7e8fa644a387.JPG

DSC_0805.JPG.fa3c30e84b128dbe7fd847e42a93c28e.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG.415c2a47efecde61557690713429bb41.JPG

Hopefully all ready to re-fit this weekend.. After giving the boot floor and rear arches a nice couple of coats of underseal!

• Like 1

steveo3002

axle looks great...do you recall what spec/size bolts you ordered please

nope
2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

axle looks great...do you recall what spec/size bolts you ordered please

Cheers. Had a fair bit of money thrown it's way but the results are worth it. Which bolts did you need spec for?

steveo3002

im planning to refurb my axle , so the pivot bolts and the mounts to the body and stub axle to beam if you can

thread pitch and grade mostly if you can thanks

nope
On 04/02/2017 at 08:21, steveo3002 said:

im planning to refurb my axle , so the pivot bolts and the mounts to the body and stub axle to beam if you can

thread pitch and grade mostly if you can thanks

Can't help on that I'm afraid, the bolts that came out were actually pretty new. Presumably from when the previous owner changed the shocks and springs so I'll be reusing them. Sorry! 

nope
24 minutes ago, bowron said:

I'm liking how your classic is coming out! Here's mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKBVDXBhX2o/?taken-by=brixtonbriefcase1

At the moment it's getting some light bodywork with the small bits of rust sorted.

Nice!! Tidy motor that! That's given me some more inspiration, I love the bumperless look and yours has just confirmed that that's the way I'm going with mine.  

bowron
2 hours ago, nope said:

Nice!! Tidy motor that! That's given me some more inspiration, I love the bumperless look and yours has just confirmed that that's the way I'm going with mine.  

Thanks! I think these do look pretty good bumperless since theyre huge bits of plastic. Got much else planned for it?

nope
11 hours ago, bowron said:

Thanks! I think these do look pretty good bumperless since theyre huge bits of plastic. Got much else planned for it?

Yeah once I've sorted out the brakes and got all the wheel bearings and shocks sorted, got a few patches of welding to do on the passenger sill and under the battery then off for a respray. Set of new wheels, probably wellers..  and then it should be good to go.  

Do you have a full length back box on yours? Mine seems to be breadvan length and doesn't sit far enough out to reach the cutout in the rear valance. 

bowron
7 hours ago, nope said:

Yeah once I've sorted out the brakes and got all the wheel bearings and shocks sorted, got a few patches of welding to do on the passenger sill and under the battery then off for a respray. Set of new wheels, probably wellers..  and then it should be good to go.  

Do you have a full length back box on yours? Mine seems to be breadvan length and doesn't sit far enough out to reach the cutout in the rear valance. 

What's up with your shocks? What colour you going for when you get it sprayed? Nice!
Yes I do, one of the previous owners put a custom stainless Simon's exhaust so reaches where it should. I do need to look into getting some new bits really as it's been bodged in as there needs to be a step down section in a place where some sort of putty/filler has been put to cover a hole. It has a 1.3gt engine with the 4-2-1 manifold, so would fit slightly different to the normal exhaust.

nope
On 2/11/2017 at 20:41, bowron said:

What's up with your shocks? What colour you going for when you get it sprayed? Nice!
Yes I do, one of the previous owners put a custom stainless Simon's exhaust so reaches where it should. I do need to look into getting some new bits really as it's been bodged in as there needs to be a step down section in a place where some sort of putty/filler has been put to cover a hole. It has a 1.3gt engine with the 4-2-1 manifold, so would fit slightly different to the normal exhaust.

Not much wrong with the struts, I drove it they didn' seem to knock but just from sight the front shocks seem to be wet with oil and the cartridge cap doesn't look like its even been taken off. I just want to make sure that the shocks were replaced at the same time that the lowering springs were fitted. Basically just want to get into the cartridge to see if they're still original or the upgraded yellow ebay things that were also on the rear.

Its a strange kind of black at the moment, i'd call it more aubergine than black. I want to go gloss black really, but have heard its a nightmare colour to go to without showing up every single dent or patch of filler that hasn't been perfectly smoothed back. So struggling to find a bodyshop wanting to do it at the moment!

One thing i'd like to know is about the patches you've got that cover up the horrible bumps down the front lower section of the rear arches. Are they home made?

bowron
On 15/02/2017 at 15:38, nope said:

Not much wrong with the struts, I drove it they didn' seem to knock but just from sight the front shocks seem to be wet with oil and the cartridge cap doesn't look like its even been taken off. I just want to make sure that the shocks were replaced at the same time that the lowering springs were fitted. Basically just want to get into the cartridge to see if they're still original or the upgraded yellow ebay things that were also on the rear.

Its a strange kind of black at the moment, i'd call it more aubergine than black. I want to go gloss black really, but have heard its a nightmare colour to go to without showing up every single dent or patch of filler that hasn't been perfectly smoothed back. So struggling to find a bodyshop wanting to do it at the moment!

One thing i'd like to know is about the patches you've got that cover up the horrible bumps down the front lower section of the rear arches. Are they home made?

My rear drivers side shock is leaking and am looking at getting some rear coilovers to replace them, but will finish off other bits first. Ive heard mk1 golf suspension parts actually fit the rears of the classic! 

That sucks! Where abouts are you? Ive got mine with this guy doing some bodywork near Leicester and from what Ive seen so far he does a pretty good job! He does it at home during his spare time, but he work in a bodyshop during the day too. If youre near and want to check it out, his fb page is: Classic car restoration & repair

Theyre original "covers". I may have seen them floating around on here or ebay once or twice before but cannot remember what theyre called. I'll send you a close up photo of one once I get my car back if youd like? 

GTi TURBz
On 2/3/2017 at 15:34, nope said:

Here goes!

DSC_0073.JPG.41802f7b6923d5c6269aa3081c34caaa.JPG

As of August 2016 I became the new keeper of this old girl.  I'd been looking for one for around 4 months before this 1.05L popped up for sale. A friend and I made a 3 hour trip across the country to go and see it with the intention of buying it no matter what. So I did... even though first impressions were that it needs a lot of work!  I'd wanted a new project to get stuck into anyway so it didn't put me off. The odd patch of rust here and there, grille smashed from someone reversing into it, dents here and there. Just generally needs a lot of love thrown its way.

DSC_0080.JPG.3d9ef94bd11032aba7230c783711dba8.JPG

First mod, lose the window stickers. 

Being a fan of the smooth flowing JDM 70's and 80's cars, I pulled all the door bumper strips off, which make the car look untidy. Also removed the bumpers to see what it looked like. Also to gauge if there was any more rust I hadn't seen. DSC_0091.JPG.337e065d7f071d5ae31c8cd42ea42faf.JPG

I then went a step further and pulled all the rivets out of the arch trims and removed all of that too, again to see if there was any rust hiding on the arch lips. I definitely got away lucky as all the arches came up really nice. Its just a shame about the two front wings as the passenger side has a very bad repair from a previous dented which looks like it was kind of pulled straight and painted over with a rattle can and theres clear coat overspray all over the place. The drivers side has a crease right on the swage line where it meets the arch, drivers looks repairable, but a replacement passenger was ordered.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a31c107f08879a83imageproxy.php?img=&key=a31c107f08879a83

Hi there,

did the side strips just pull off? did you have to use any filler or anything after?

Looks awesome! 

Cheers

Matt

nope
On 2/18/2017 at 09:29, bowron said:

My rear drivers side shock is leaking and am looking at getting some rear coilovers to replace them, but will finish off other bits first. Ive heard mk1 golf suspension parts actually fit the rears of the classic! 

That sucks! Where abouts are you? Ive got mine with this guy doing some bodywork near Leicester and from what Ive seen so far he does a pretty good job! He does it at home during his spare time, but he work in a bodyshop during the day too. If youre near and want to check it out, his fb page is: Classic car restoration & repair

Theyre original "covers". I may have seen them floating around on here or ebay once or twice before but cannot remember what theyre called. I'll send you a close up photo of one once I get my car back if youd like? 

I'm over near Southam in Warwickshire, so not too far! I checked that guys page out and saw he posted up a few pictures yesterday, done a proper job by the looks of it, may have to give him a buzz about mine. Cheeky to ask I know, but was it expensive? I literally have no idea how much bodyshops usually charge.  
The covers you have (from the photos i saw) are push in type ones, where as my rear arches just have blanks with no cut outs for the plugs, so if I got some covers Id just have to cut the lugs off and bond them on!

Hopefully i'll have another batch of update photos soon, nearly got all the rest of the ARB brackets and struts etc back from powdercoating. Polybushes here etc. all waiting ready to be fitted!!  Picked up a nice set of weller wheels the other day too. I cant wait to get them on and see how they sit.

nope
24 minutes ago, GTi TURBz said:

Hi there,

did the side strips just pull off? did you have to use any filler or anything after?

Looks awesome! 

Cheers

Matt

Thanks! Hopefully it's not far off where I want it to be before I can start driving it :)

The sill side strips were a bit of a pain in the a** tbh! Mine were riveted in, just like the arch trims. There must have been around 8 along the top and another 8 along the bottom on each side. Just drilled the heads off so that the sill covers could be taken off, then took an angle grinder to them to buzz them flat. Will need painting over but i've got a pair of replacement sills to chop in now instead.

The door strips however do just pull off, and they take some hammer! I pulled on mine so hard they went banana shaped, not sure they would be re-useable.  I eventually used a hot air gun / hair dryer on them to loosen up the bond they make with the door and it made them a lot easier to remove.

Edited by nope

bowron
8 hours ago, nope said:

I'm over near Southam in Warwickshire, so not too far! I checked that guys page out and saw he posted up a few pictures yesterday, done a proper job by the looks of it, may have to give him a buzz about mine. Cheeky to ask I know, but was it expensive? I literally have no idea how much bodyshops usually charge.  
The covers you have (from the photos i saw) are push in type ones, where as my rear arches just have blanks with no cut outs for the plugs, so if I got some covers Id just have to cut the lugs off and bond them on!

Hopefully i'll have another batch of update photos soon, nearly got all the rest of the ARB brackets and struts etc back from powdercoating. Polybushes here etc. all waiting ready to be fitted!!  Picked up a nice set of weller wheels the other day too. I cant wait to get them on and see how they sit.

No it was a really good price, coudlnt refuse it since the couple other quotes I had were much higher. Bodywork is expensive, like full resprays usually cost around £2000-£5000+. I got touch ups, andhe did a really good job for a good price too! Definitely worth giving him a bell.

They are yes. Thats probably best if youre wanting them, but if you wanted them on & off maybe cut the lugs and make it magnetic so you can change the look anytime? 

Sweet! If you dont mind me asking, whats the sort of cost for powdercoating? Just want to know incase Id like anything done in the future as theres one in Loughborough. Need to get a photo of the wellers on the car! 

Im looking at getting some gaz coilovers for the rear in a few months & I ended up speaking to an old owner of the car and sent me some photos. Its actually made me want to put the bumpers back on. So need to refurb the brackets and bring them back to black before sorting it out.

bowron

Do you know if mk2f doorcards fit mk2's?

nope
13 hours ago, bowron said:

No it was a really good price, coudlnt refuse it since the couple other quotes I had were much higher. Bodywork is expensive, like full resprays usually cost around £2000-£5000+. I got touch ups, andhe did a really good job for a good price too! Definitely worth giving him a bell.

They are yes. Thats probably best if youre wanting them, but if you wanted them on & off maybe cut the lugs and make it magnetic so you can change the look anytime? 

Sweet! If you dont mind me asking, whats the sort of cost for powdercoating? Just want to know incase Id like anything done in the future as theres one in Loughborough. Need to get a photo of the wellers on the car! 

Im looking at getting some gaz coilovers for the rear in a few months & I ended up speaking to an old owner of the car and sent me some photos. Its actually made me want to put the bumpers back on. So need to refurb the brackets and bring them back to black before sorting it out.

I'll have to have a chat with him and yeah I agree that going magnetic is a good idea!

Powdercoating all depends on colour, I get good rates with the dude near us because we use him often and the colour we choose is always gloss black. They just bundle all things going black together and just charge me for the oven rather than the paint (I kinda piggyback on other peoples rates). For the whole rear axle, axle mounts, handbrake cable brackets, the fuel tank strap, the front strut cases, front anti-roll bar, front anti-roll bar brackets, front brake disc backing plates and the suspension top mount plates was £100.  usually places charge per item, and it would've probably been closer to double that for all of the parts.
I'd love to get some photos of the wellers on the car but im still waiting for parts before I can get the front hubs and rear axle on to even try and test fit them :(

Also as far as I know the door cards should fit as the doors from the MK2F are the same (but with added side impact re-enforcement bars).
I've got a set at home and they look identical so I don't see why they wouldnt!

bowron
6 hours ago, nope said:

I'll have to have a chat with him and yeah I agree that going magnetic is a good idea!

Powdercoating all depends on colour, I get good rates with the dude near us because we use him often and the colour we choose is always gloss black. They just bundle all things going black together and just charge me for the oven rather than the paint (I kinda piggyback on other peoples rates). For the whole rear axle, axle mounts, handbrake cable brackets, the fuel tank strap, the front strut cases, front anti-roll bar, front anti-roll bar brackets, front brake disc backing plates and the suspension top mount plates was £100.  usually places charge per item, and it would've probably been closer to double that for all of the parts.
I'd love to get some photos of the wellers on the car but im still waiting for parts before I can get the front hubs and rear axle on to even try and test fit them :(

Also as far as I know the door cards should fit as the doors from the MK2F are the same (but with added side impact re-enforcement bars).
I've got a set at home and they look identical so I don't see why they wouldnt!

Id definitely have a chat with him as he does a good job & a good price to match. Well I ended up using magnets for a little radiator mesh guard which fits against the rear of the front valance. It means I'm able to take it off whenever for whatever reason & its able to take speed. Just get some strong enough magnets, I got some from ebay which are small yet very strong.
That's a bargain!
Well I have some coupe s cards in mine at the moment and they have hole near the handles for the wing mirror toggles which I don't have. So I'm looking at going for some door cards without them and ones which are black just in case I decide to change the seats in the future. I haven't seen any black mk2 door cards for sale, but have come across some mk2f ones. I heard they fall foul by hitting the dash since the dashes in the mk2f are slightly shorter. But no one knows if this is true or not :/ Not sure whether I should go for them or not.

nope

So turns out the front shocks were ruined, I had some new 'low friendly' shock inserts delivered from germany and a whole lot of new bushes and bearings all put on order, and a load more stuff was sent away for powdercoating.

DSC_0872_1.thumb.JPG.8b4022eb8d0e72c429f59e0ba959e0c0.JPG

DSC_0905.thumb.JPG.9e2b93ab427576fdfb976b90d299137c.JPG

DSC_0950.thumb.JPG.c9d3c7cce0c54254eb5c77d9cae1edc3.JPG

nope

Soon to follow was the set of Weller wheels i'd picked up from eBay, which look like they've barely been used as the the insides are spotless, just look tatty from a bad rattle can respray.

DSC_0936.thumb.JPG.d157476a39a8ec5b7e0f45eeff804892.JPG

Now time to underseal up the front arches and get the polybushes and shiny new suspension bits installed so I can test fit the wheels.

17.thumb.JPG.4f9f6f7ca5c17dbed8e6c3d9f025e6ba.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.62463b31d217706da7432791b1697857.JPG

Edited by nope
  • Love it 1