Swanza

1993 1.3 Genesis

23 posts in this topic

Hello Club Polo! 

This is my Mk2f 1.3 Genesis when I first bought her in September. "Geny" is my first car and is in a very clean state for 107k! Underside is clean, rear arches are good however she has had a new fuel tank (Presumed filler neck rot). 
Since owning her I have only made some slight changes.

Clear indicators and repeaters,

Klaxon horn hehe

Sony head unit

6x9 shelf speakers (holes where already there) sub and amp,

carpeted boot with floor removable to access spare wheel. 

I have purchased a set of 14x6 snowflakes which are being 'refurbished' by myself currently. 
New driveshafts, radiator, wheel bearings all corners, water pump and timing belt, clutch and auxiliary belt are due to be fitted. (Have parts-being fitted gradually)  

Will post updates with more recent images if anyone is interested! 

Lyle

27A_0445.jpg

1 person likes this

26A_0444.jpg.3c808763ea0e1bdf0f4baf42e8b9d511.jpg

1 person likes this

This is "Geny"'s interior, good condition genesis interior.

The is an an old photo before the stereo went in. 

The heater only blew on full power.. so the heater resistor was replaced and the fan bearings greased, bought some thermal fuses as well just in case! (there was literally none of the resistor there, someone had discarded it all). 

28A_0446.jpg

1 person likes this

Splendid, now people will be able to see your post! Geny looks gorgeous!

1 person likes this

Cheers! 

Newish to the site still working it out :)

1 person likes this

Just now, Swanza said:

Cheers! 

Newish to the site still working it out :)

No worries, just nose around the main forum front page, each will have it's own section. If you need any help, just holla!

1 person likes this

rare colour, only used it in 1993. looks clean too, oem+ dont do any permenant changes

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, kiran_182 said:

rare colour, only used it in 1993. looks clean too, oem+ dont do any permenant changes

Yea tell me about it! Mixed paint is hard to find! 
Did genesis models come with red piping on the bumpers? There are remnants of either the factory tape or someone else has had a go.
The rear bumper also looks saggy compared to a few examples I have seen on hear at the sides underneath the rear lights. Is this fixable?

Looks like such a clean example in a brilliant colour!

The arch trims and red bumper piping would have been added by someone as they only came as standard on the GT & G40 models. 

The sagging rear bumper is usually caused by the clips on the side of the bumper breaking. The best fix I've seen for this is a bit of metal bent to the correct shape and fixed in place where the clip used to be. If it is the clip on the body that has broken these can probably still be found new on eBay or if not there will be plenty second hand ones going about.

1 person likes this

Thanks @kwijibo_coupe!

She's quite a clean example, however the battery tray was shot, almost completely gone. This was remedied by some sikaflex and aluminium pressed to form into shape, battery clamp still fits. I havent got a welder nor the skill to do an intricate job on the tray so that was my next best option. 

Discovered this today however.. routing stereo cables. Drivers side passenger footwell has a hole in, looks like a failed attempt to jack up the car!

This will have to be cut out and welded properly. 

3D8A79B3-7317-4AD2-B583-CA59D5F768CA.jpg

Right, small update here. 
The car has now received gt striping on the bumpers, and the black and red stripes that where along the side of the car have been removed. 
She has also had a clay bar and polish to bring the colour back, looks lovely now!

Now, the car had a new fuel tank fitted before I bought her, however I filled it up admittedly really full, gauge was on the red and took 32 litres. I arrived home and noticed fuel dripping, the tank underneath is wet on the drivers side, the handbrake cable is wet and fuel is dripping off the fuel tank mounting screw on the drivers side. 
This has me worried, did I overfill the tank? Was the tank poorly fitted? I dont know how the filter, pump and vapour tubes work so any suggestions are welcome! 

(please let me know if its against the forum rules to ask questions on car 'build threads')

1 hour ago, Swanza said:

(please let me know if its against the forum rules to ask questions on car 'build threads')

It's your build thread, but you might get a faster response to a "tech" question if you ask it in the tech section :)

Check the breather pipe between the filler neck and the top of the tank has been fitted properly. Also check the clamps on the fuel lines for the sender are tight and not leaking. You'll get access to the sender unit under the rear seat. You'll see a big round access panel.

1 person likes this

So, cheers for the advice on the fuel leak diagnosis, all seemed fine and this was confirmed and driving enough to burn the fuel off, no more smell or spillage. 
Since my last update I have managed to pass my test and got insurance for 1400 on a multicar with my dad. Jen then decided to show up her problems during the first weekend of passing which forced me to fit the parts I had bought.

I have installed the new rad and n/s driveshaft, yet to drive however, been slowed down by work. 

The master cylinder then decided to fail. Pedal sinks to the floor under gentle brake pedal application, bled the brakes which didn't do much so this confirmed my suspicion. New one arrived today. 

Small thing but new rear wiper nut cap was bought as the old one was broken. 

Quick question, the mid section of the exhaust scrapes on speed humps and the rear of the car looks a little slumped, is this normal? Ill send a picture shortly, could this be worn shocks? or springs? 

Lyle

1 person likes this

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

As you can see, the rear is sunk. I havent done much driving and only had a spin in mates cars so as far as I can tell it drives fine. 

Would love to lower 40/40 but not sure I can get away with not claiming!

So, today a few things got done. 

Timing belt changed, 108k on the clock, car ticks over quieter now, belt wasn't in too bad shape however I have no history of when it was done so more for peace of mind, aux belt done, pulley used to rattle and squeak. 

O/s driveshaft replaced, car feels better and smoother steering now both have been replaced. Drivers side was a pig to change compared to the nearside!

Master cylinder replaced, the car actually stops now! No more pulling to the left and the pedal no longer sinks, nice and firm. 

Car needs new driver side wheel bearing, possible front as well. Lots of play in the rear wheel. When driving the car makes a lot of noise from the bearing, like a 'knawing' noise as if its metal on metal, particularly on the turn. These I wont tackle myself as I don't have a bearing puller nor do I have the time to remove the whole front strut to do the front wheel bearing, will get a mechanic to do those. 

Car is improving as time goes on, looking at replacing rear shocks on the near future.

Okay guys, nothing much has changed aside from me blowing the bulb in the Heater control panel. 

One of the muffler exhaust mounts failed on me driving home at around 1am, it is currently tied by the exhaust tip by an aux cable. 

The image shows the current situation, the mount on the left is fine, the other side has snapped, the middle section is also not hung however the cnetre muffler is being replaced as its blowing really badly. 

What are my options here, do I drill some holes in the brace by the centre buffer and use an l piece of alu to hang the exhaust on?

(Muffler mounts are fine)

Any help would be good!

Lyle

IMG_3425.JPG

My right mount also slipped off constantly, metal fatige problem.

I got some hose clamps and secured it that way, haven't driven that much but it also hasnt come lose.

Use your left rubber as guidance and try too releave stress with the hose clamps.

1 person likes this

i lashed this up and bolted it in place , been rock solid since

polo exh hanger 002.JPG

1 person likes this

Cheers for the tips guys,

@steveo3002 I went with a similar solution to yours, works a treat!

New rear shocks, and lowering springs fitted... 
Not on purpose, was told they where standard height and being new to things I believed him, but no they look like 40mm lowering springs.

Read around that lowering by 40mm you can still get away with stock shocks so they can live.

New rear wheel bearings replaced inc races inner and outer.

Started tackling the front strut removal this weekend as I had bought new ones with the rear, which had supposed new bearings, with springs and dampers all fitted. 

What a ballache of a job! 

Anyway, had to cut the tie rod bolt as it was spinning with the nut even once the nylock had been melted out!

New TCA's, tie rod and tie rod end ordered. 

Do I need arb blocks once I have lowered the car? I have a standard header/downpipe with revised exhaust hangers so its close the to the body for clearance, not sure on caster angle however... 

Things have happened, car is now lowered (unintentionally) and ridding ok! Not too harsh of a ride. 

Anyway can any of you guys give an idea of the lowering on my car? guy sold them to me as standard springs.. (Have a feeling they are 60/40)

New exhaust centre fitted with reducer sleeve and plenty of exhaust gum :) Fuel economy now somewhat restored, was getting around 20mpg, but much better now, car also feels pokier so win!

Had two of the brake caliper carrier bolts come loose on me while on a drive on separate occasions, this was quickly remedied. The whole caliper on the first occasion was completely unattached, happened at midnight on my way home, lucky to say the least for me and other road users as had no brakes for the rest of the journey. 

Paintwork touched in, polished, polished again, waxed and sealed for the second time in owning her. 

Taken her for a surf a couple of times now, great fun and takes one of my boards behind the front seats so again win :)

Bought some VW scalas (sirroco snowflakes) ages ago but coming to the end of their restoration now, should have nankang 165/55's by friday ready for Retro show!

Underside of the drivers door and sills were a tad scabby to a wire brush etch primer and hammerite in green where applied, unseen area however the match is very close!

That's about it, haven't got round to sorting petrol smell while car is running yet, really unsure on what it is! Fuel tank and plumbing may have to be removed and re installed at some point...