My 1991 polo coupe - 14 hour drive to collect!

jrrhatton@aol.com

Think this is my first post on here but had a few posts up on Facebook in the usual polo groups and have been told I should make a build thread. well I'm not usually about showing off the work ive been doing I prefer to just take my car to shows to look good but I think this would be a good way of keeping on track of what all ive done and also might be able to help out a few people if they have any questions ect and hopefully give some people a bit of inspiration to get there projects underway.

Anyways I bough my 1991 polo coupe in may 2016, drove it 14hours up the road from Bristol to Fraserburgh. wouldn't have taken that long if the fan would have worked but never mind, I got it up the road eventually.

when I bought it I bought it from an apprentice painter who did a closed door re-spray which makes the car look amazing till you opened either the boot, bonnet or looked underneath, he also had a set of polo 6n steels banded and he painted them himself too, I personally like them, it was sat on 60/40 TA lowering spring that were far too soft for the car! it had a leaky sunroof which I suspect is aftermarket. I had been looking for insurance for quite some time before I decided to just wait a year till its cheaper and more manageable so since it was going to be off the road for about a while I decided to start getting things tidied and freshened up.

first thing I did was change the coolant, fitted a new fan and coolant temperature switch I also painted the fan couling as I am a fan of having things looking smart. I also fitted a new coolant reservoir just to sproose things up abit. I then got full set of alpine speakers to replace the original and rather perished speakers, I also got an original VW radio to fit it too. I took it into my head to take out most of the interior mainly to check for rust as I wasn't convinced it wasn't rotten just yet haha. I was rather pleased to find it was solid under the carpet too, but before putting everything back in I repaired a few dents and gouges in the inner rear wheel arches and rubbed down and painted the inside of the boot as it just looked tired and abused.

I then started with the back, removed the rear axle rubbed it all down and painted it, fitted new bushes and also painted the hangers on the car side, bought new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake pipe flexis and handbrake cables, but before I fitted the axle again I removed the rear suspension and painted the inner arches. I then fitted shiny new TA technics coilovers bolted on the axle, stub pins fitted all the brakes to the rear. doesn't seam like a lot but doing everything yourself it take a lot of time and effort, I then set about the front...

so at the front I removed the struts, track rods, brake flexi pipes I than painted in the inner arches and fitted new ta technic coilovers with new stone guards new hubs new wheel bearings new track rods and flexi pipes, painted the callipers and carriers fitted new discs and pads too.

think that's about it but probably missed a few things, I should have made a build thread as and when I was doing things.

rear inner arches painted and new coilovers fitted, along with freshly painted axle new wheel cylinders and brake shoes and drums

20160905_223033.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...