Russell Rustyp Pember

GT throttle body, porting, polish and dewedging

3 posts in this topic

Hello there,

My brother has a mk2 Polo GT and I have started working on the spare throttle body. There are a lot of improvements to be made, firstly the infamous "dewedging" which opens up the throttle body but the throttle butterfly spindles can be slimmed down quite a bit to further open up flow. The mouth of the throttle body is quite angular in places and could be smoothed out and made into more of a trumpet shape for better, smoother airflow.

Would there be interest from anyone else with GTs to have the same work done on their throttle bodies on an exchange basis? Just testing the water.

Thanks, Russ

Are you able to get pictures of the work you are doing? 

I could be wrong but it seems to me most of the restriction in the GT intake system is from the AFM and the way the elbow bolts onto the throttle body. 

Will try and get pics up soon, I have only started working on the TB yesterday in between other work. I will look at my Brother's GT next time I am over to look at elbow and AFM. Thanks, Russ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• tmnovice
      By tmnovice
      Dear All,

My first post. Have a 2003 Mk4 Polo. It has done a few miles (circa 125000). Have a new problem, and wondering if someone would mind offering some advice? I'm not sure whether to invest in the repair or sell it to someone that can. When the accelerating, the engine revs very high, as if the gears are not engaging and there is little power. Eventually, when there is no significant work required of the engine, i.e. on a flat or downhill, the revs slow down to what would be expected. The problem then comes again when using the throttle. The engine is also making quite a bit of noise, sounds like a hole in the exhaust manifold, but had that checked by the local garage and nothing doing. Changed the oil and slight improvement. There is no engine warning light, though previous have had "throttle body under voltage". Having looked up the codes (misplaced), I am suspecting that the throttle body is dirty and needs a good clean. However, as a novice, am worried about taking it out myself. Spoke to VW, £240 just to have a look and reset the throttle body actuator. Is this likely just the throttle body is dirty, or does it sound like a bigger problem, like the gearbox needs to be replaced?

Cheers in advance.
    • mcordez
      By mcordez
      I apologies for asking something that has probably been asked countless times, I've tried searching but it's a minefield finding a straight answer!
      Can I put a polo 1.6gti engine in my mk2f gt? Can I retain the original 5 speed box I love the close ratios? If someone could point me in the direction of where i can find the info I would be most greatful. And any idea of the cost involved if diy time scale and level of arse pain!!
    • OVOMartyn
      By OVOMartyn
      I'm after a GT engine or at least complete head as my GT engine has a cracked head. But if there is a G40 conversion going at the right price I will take it.

Thanks in advance,
      Martyn.
    • Lee@1973
      By Lee@1973
      Hi guys and girls, 

Am am very new here and have just got hold of a 05 1.9 Polo GT. I want to have all the brakes serviced, cleaned up and painted. The rear brakes discs only seem to be working on half of the disc area and the other half is very rusty. 
      Can anybody recommend a service centre, mechanic or company who can be trusted to remove, service and clean up and paint the calipers? 
      I am based in Aylesbury and work in Bicester. 
      I would do this myself but have no space at home. 

Thanks you 
      Lee 
    • valley
      By valley
      Polo GT Badge, Good condition but is obviously 25 years old so does have marks.

£7 Posted