Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Wharvey89

Lumpy and bumpy Mk2

Wharvey89

Hi all,

New to the forum so go easy! Looking for some help.

After wanting one for a long time I acquired a Mk2 1.3L CL. The car looks great and I've already fallen in love with it. However I've noticed what I am hoping isn't a massive problem.

In the morning the car starts perfectly and idles nicely. However after about 15/20 mins driving the car turns into a bit of a juddering mess. It doesn't idle well and has stalled a couple of times, at lights/roundabouts etc. I'm quite technical but I know very little about cars. 

I have had a good look online but everyone might as well be talking a different language. I have checked what I know how to do, air filter and oil. Both are good. 

Seen a few people suggest pushing down on the air filter housing to check if it could be the carb mount/gasket. This doesn't help.

I have noticed one thing however which I figure must be helpful. If I stick the headlights on the idle gets 10X worse. Could I have an electrical problem. The previous owner said the two inner lights have been replaced. Could it be something as simple as HT leads? Distributor? Or the huge hole in the hot air pipe?

Hope the pics might help?!

Thank you, Josh.

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

steveo3002

the hot air hose isnt doing it

might be worth getting the charge rate looked at ...put a multimeter on the battery and/or alternator posts and see what voltage there is running and then with the lights on 

a good service never hurts - use top quality parts and replace fuel filter ,plugs , leads , dizzy cap and rotor arm

Wharvey89

Hi Stevo, thanks for the reply!

I have checked out the battery with my multimeter and it seems good. +12v and increases once the engine is running.

Like you say I think the next step is a full service replacing the parts mentioned. Any suggestions as to where I should get them? Best websites etc? 

Thanks. 

steveo3002

i tend to use avs car parts alot , or ebay if you choose the brand names carefully 

what voltage are you getting running with headlights on?

Jake

VW Heritage, VW Classic Parts, AVS Car Parts, The Forum and eBay are the best places for parts :)