Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Connor Costello

Vw polo mk2f rocker cover bolts

Connor Costello

Hello, 

I've just come across a typical mistake of snapping the rocker cover/cam cover bolts which seem to be pretty weak on a mk2 polo, I have already got the thread out, but now have a problem of finding a replacement bolt for it, if anyone might have any lying around I would appreciate you'd send it out to me (I only need one) and I will pay for expenses of posting. 

Thanks 

KiZ

Its not the weak bolt thats the problem - its over torquing an M6 thread. if the cover still leaks after the bolts have been done up - place a washer underneath the head of the bolt which will create a better seal without snapping the bolt. (bolt bottoms out so you cannot keep increasing the torque to improve the seal)

kiran_182

Think the mistake was using m6 thread to start with 

Clayson9
On 10/09/2017 at 12:44, Connor Costello said:

Hello, 

I've just come across a typical mistake of snapping the rocker cover/cam cover bolts which seem to be pretty weak on a mk2 polo, I have already got the thread out, but now have a problem of finding a replacement bolt for it, if anyone might have any lying around I would appreciate you'd send it out to me (I only need one) and I will pay for expenses of posting. 

Thanks 

Old thread i know, but just done this myself ... did you find somewhere that stocks the bolts? How did you get the snapped end back out? Mines stuck in the bit it screws into, but they detatch ...

zob

Has it sheared flush with the top of the head or do you have any of the stub left to work with? If the latter then some Irwin bolt grips may be able to grab on to it. Otherwise you're going to have to drill it out I should imagine - they're only M6 so rather small for standard bolt extractors but you may be able to find one small enough. The key will be not damaging the original thread in the head, otherwise you'll have to drill and tap the thread for the next size up. You'll need good drill bits for this as well.

Bolt extraction is always a game of crisis escalation - I find starting with the most non-invasive methods and work your way up the scale of force and complexity is always better than just going straight for a drill and re-tap in the off-chance that one of the simpler methods actually works! So something like molegrips -> boltgrips -> cold chisel and tap -> pilot drill and chisel -> bolt extractor -> foul language and generic hexes -> occult incantations -> drill and re-tap

Can be expensive buying extractor tools (like boltgrips / extractor bits) just for a single sheared bolt but I feel its good to have tools like that to hand anyway.

As for replacements they don't seem to appear anywhere on the net but 7zap has its dimensions so you might be able to find a suitable replacement elsewhere. Its not a safety-critical bolt so personally I wouldn't have a problem using the same shape bolt from a generic fastenings supplier - worst case is you'll have a leaky cam cover.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1993-120/1/103-3010/

Otherwise you'll have to get one from a Polo being broken I guess!

Edited by zob
more info

Clayson9
On 05/07/2019 at 09:35, zob said:

Has it sheared flush with the top of the head or do you have any of the stub left to work with? If the latter then some Irwin bolt grips may be able to grab on to it. Otherwise you're going to have to drill it out I should imagine - they're only M6 so rather small for standard bolt extractors but you may be able to find one small enough. The key will be not damaging the original thread in the head, otherwise you'll have to drill and tap the thread for the next size up. You'll need good drill bits for this as well.

Bolt extraction is always a game of crisis escalation - I find starting with the most non-invasive methods and work your way up the scale of force and complexity is always better than just going straight for a drill and re-tap in the off-chance that one of the simpler methods actually works! So something like molegrips -> boltgrips -> cold chisel and tap -> pilot drill and chisel -> bolt extractor -> foul language and generic hexes -> occult incantations -> drill and re-tap

Can be expensive buying extractor tools (like boltgrips / extractor bits) just for a single sheared bolt but I feel its good to have tools like that to hand anyway.

As for replacements they don't seem to appear anywhere on the net but 7zap has its dimensions so you might be able to find a suitable replacement elsewhere. Its not a safety-critical bolt so personally I wouldn't have a problem using the same shape bolt from a generic fastenings supplier - worst case is you'll have a leaky cam cover.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1993-120/1/103-3010/

Otherwise you'll have to get one from a Polo being broken I guess!

Thanks mate, managed to get it out with a flathead. Bolts are on their way from a breaking car 👍🏻

• Like 1