ECM Engine Control Module Help

RamJam258

Hey Guys

Hope you can help me with this one, as its starting to really do my head in. 

Last Saturday my car died after pulling out from a junction, got it to the side of the road and tried starting it again. It was cranking over but not starting and the locks started locking and unlocking.. Thinking it was something serious  I rang the RAC. RAC man came out and scanned the car, fault was to do with the engine control relay, cleared the code and then the car started fine, so drove it home. Few days later the car died again, scanned it myself and got P0688, car wouldn't start but still cranked so bought a new relay  fitted it under the steering column. Car then worked fine for a few days, until yesterday when i started her up, picked the girlfriend up from work, and then parked outside our house. Ten minutes later I go out to the car to go out and the car wont even crank, absolutely nothing when i try to start the car. Like before the locks pop up and down on the turn of the key but no cranking this time. To get the car started I had to get a jump start, which allowed the car to start up fine. Scanned the car again and this time got P0685 which is a different code. Put the car on charge over night and seems to be okay for the time being, but can only be a matter of time before it lets go again.  Some Google searching has suggested the J271 Relay under the bonnet. Could this be the cause?

Any idea what this could be guys?

Car is a Polo 9n3 Gti.

Cheers in advance 

RamJam

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvderlm

• RamJam258

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not got a modern car myself, but it looks like rosstech agrees with your search results for those two fault codes. Power supply to the J271 relay. As it is intermittent broken wire is definitely possible, but I'd check fuses for continuity and good contacts. Might be the relay or its socket but they are rated for 1000s of operations.