Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
heyholly__

Mk2 1.3 won't start

heyholly__

So today my car decided to die on my way to work. Basically when you try to start it, it turns over but won't fire and doesn't even try to. The AA said it was my ignition coil; we have since replaced this but it still has the same fault. However it will now start sometimes but then cut out again after a minute or so and then won't restart. Leave it for a few hours and it will start, but again cuts out. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

BISHNAY

Simple check, 

remove 1 spark plug and put it into the ht lead and lean it on the rocker cover. If it sparks then you know it’s something else.

if that doesn’t work, remove the main ht lead from the coil to the distributor and put your spark plug in and do the same. 

Let me know ?? 

I have replaced the igtion coil or distributor and the new part has been faulty. 

dpalmer_220992

Hi all

I'm 'heyholly' s boyfriend, the one who does all the work on her car basically haha! I asked her to put a post up because I'm just stuck scratching my head at the minute.

So to summarise the car did run fine (even did a trip to Gatwick the other day) although it did jerk a few times on different occasions the past few days before the major fault. The car just cut out completely and suddenly the other day, turned over fine but would not start. Suspect faulty coil, changed it without doing my own tests and turned out the coil was actually fine, the new one is still installed. Ran for a minute or so and cut out as before, would not start again. Few hours passed and it started again, for a matter of minutes before it died again, this time I tested everything I could before and after it started.

Coil has no voltage at all when the car is in the 'not running state' therefore no spark from the HT lead when grounded.

The ignition control unit does have battery voltage in the 'not running state', it also has a good earth.

The battery is good at 12v.

All three distributor pins have continuity to the ignition control unit plug.

So basically something just dies and comes back to life when it feels like it, the most I've had the car running was about 5 minutes since the first break down.

I'm thinking the distributor (hall sender) or the ignition control unit, I'm leaning more towards the distributor from what I've read online. And if I'm right in thinking that can anyone point me in the direction to buy one as I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Cheers, Dan

dvderlm

Sounds like dying Hall sender symptoms to me.

1988 so hydro head with 3 bolts and pin drive distributor - not slot in end of camshaft?

Should be able to get whole dizzy off ebay for about £85 delivered. Check the 9 digit vag part number. might have a letter.

Or mechatechnic had them about 6 months ago.

dpalmer_220992

Yeah that's the one, 3 bolt rocker cover, hydraulic lifters and pin drive dizzy. (The pin hasn't broke)

I got the part number of the original late last night and matched up with one on ebay at £85. I just wanted to double check what others thought first before forking out for one.

Cheers, Dan

dvderlm

You might be able to get just the Hall sender for £40ish, but replacing it is fiddly and there appear to be at least two kinds. I ordered wrong one ages ago and had to get Lucas electrical (LSUK long since gone bust) to swap it.

Haynes manual describes test procedure using LED...

dvderlm

Have you tested whether a spare plug sparks when held to earth?

Like Bishnay asked -Just in case it's fuel fault.