Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
MonsterL35YFP

How strong are mk3 gearboxes

MonsterL35YFP

So I'm currently putting my mk2f/MK3 back together after the head gasket failed, since iv owned the car my selector seal has leaked slowly getting worse but iv been topping it up when it started to feel abit off. It tends to whine in 1st and 3rd but when I noticed it I would top the oil up, anyway I'm replacing the selector seal and I'm wondering if my gearbox will eventually break and if so how long do you think its got? It's CEG 5 speed box. 

steveo3002

damage is done now its noisey , shame you let it run low on oil

if you keep it full it could plod on for years , we had a noisey 4 speed for years until  i upgraded it to 5 speed

MonsterL35YFP

I know i shouldn't have let run low, I'm going to see what its like when its back on the road and either get it rebuilt or replace it