Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Cliff81

Misfire only at idle after few minutes.

Cliff81

Hi Everyone, new to the forum, I have a Passat 1.8T wagon but stumped with the issue on the wife’s Polo 1.4 16v BBY 89k, car drives fine mrs can drive it to work and home 4mile round trip and it’s fine, if stopped in traffic or left idleing for a few minutes when warm the EPC starts flashing, car starts to misfire on Number 4 16688, if turned off and restarted the misfire and epc disappears and all is fine, I have tried new coils and plugs and swapped them round, no signs of head gasket failure and no smoke at all. No vac leaks, no other fault codes, I also unplugged the egr and made no difference, TB is spotless, possible injector, Valves, EGR, CTS? Just want to see if anyone has had the same before I take to our local Indy for compression/fault testing. Thanks

vwfan3
23 minutes ago, Cliff81 said:

...... I have tried new coils and plugs and swapped them round. Just want to see if anyone has had the same before I take to our local Indy for compression/fault testing. Thanks

Hi

You have made no mention of the ignition leads. That would be my next port of call.

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

Get a compression test done, had the same problem on another members car a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, vwfan3 said:

Hi

You have made no mention of the ignition leads. That would be my next port of call.

It is coil on plug engine so no ignition leads !!

• Like 1

vwfan3

Hi

In that case, would it be a good idea to check/clean the contacts and the cable near the connector to coil no 4.

• Like 1

Cliff81

Thanks, looks like a trip to the local Indy for testing probably best to rule out compression before throwing money at it, if it is valves woudnt the misfire be there constant?

nige8021

Your symptoms are the same as a previous members and at the time it didn't make sense, but after doing the same things you have already tried, plus cleaning the throttle body & doing the throttle body alignment and cleaning the MAP/IAT sensor on the cambelt end of the inlet manifold none of those made any difference it was only as a last resort he got a wet & dry compression test done and I think it was the #3 was well down on compression

Cliff81

Dropped car off for compression testing this morning will await the results, I noticed it has used a lot of fuel in very few miles tho... car does hit 90deg temp hopefully just injector.

Cliff81

Update!

Cylinder 4 140psi cylinders 1-3 220psi, they done two different test to prove it. 

I have been quoted £400-500 to do all valves and get the motor running. Looking at used engines I’m looking at £250ish plus £200 fitting with the risk of it he same problem, so Looks like the strip down option is more viable.

Unless someone has a decent rebuilt head going?

nige8021

Well at least you know what the problem is, but that does seem a bit steep for the head repair, I had an 8v head skimmed & 4 valves done 18 months ago and that was only £80+vat 

Cliff81

Bit of a gutter yes, the price quoted was for full head refurb crack/pressure treated & skim including all gaskets cambelt/water pump & service etc. I thought the price was reasonable? 

Stevens VW have a BBY in stock £300 delivered 3 months warranty, but what do they mean by fully tested? Is that compression tested? 

Thanks.

nige8021

OK if that's the complete job, I don't suppose it is too bad, I thought that was for just refurbing the required valves, I think I would go with that option rather than risk an unknown engine, Ok it might have 3 months warranty but that won't include any labour charges for pulling it out again. 

Stevens are a reputable company, I've had many smaller spares from them without any problems, but not sure I would risk an engine without seeing it running and having it compression tested ?