Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
MonsterL35YFP

Removing selector seal

MonsterL35YFP

Hi I'm currently replacing the selector seal on my mk2f and after taking the linkage off without any problems I can't get the actual seal out and now the seal is falling to pieces and leaking even worse. Any advice would be great.

PHIL SWARBRICK

Would you be able to put in a couple of self tapping or wood screws, without damaging the gearbox housing, into the seal and use vise grips to hold on to those screws and then lever out the seal that way? The new seal must have a little bit of oil around its inner surface to give it the best chance of keeping the oil in the gearbox. A little smear of a gasket sealer around the outside will stop any possibility of oil sneaking around the outside of the seal as well.

MonsterL35YFP

That's my last option so might have to be done I'll give it ago tomorrow and cheers for the advice mate i definitely don't want it leaking any time soon.

PHIL SWARBRICK

I forgot the finish on the selector shaft is important. I was able to spin it in a drill to polish it. But if already installed in a gearbox make sure that its finish doesn't wear out the seal prematurely. 

MonsterL35YFP

Ok mate cheers I didn't get on it today unfortunately but I was going to use some polishing sand paper to clean it up and make sure there's no crap that's going to mess it up.

harris.racing

I'd try screwing a self tapping screw into it and pulling on the head of the screw to get it out - just be aware of damaging the selector shaft & the gearbox casing.

MonsterL35YFP

Hi guys tried the screw method and no luck the seals got like a metal ring inside it so the screw hasn't got enough rubber to go in so I'm going to buy a pick set and try pull it out that way, I really don't want to drill it incase something gets damaged if not then I'll have to take the gearbox out