Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
mattpolog40

Misfire on cylinder number 2 polo g40

mattpolog40

Been having trouble with my 40 for a few months now which all started with the distributor filling with oil.since then it’s developed an annoying misfire which I have now worked out is happening in cylinder number 2.im just unsure as to what my next move is if I’m honest I’ve done a compression test it’s not great but not bad either.Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

kiran_182

Would be the gasket is burning through between 2 cylinders

kwijibo_coupe

What were the results of the compression test? Was cylinder 2 down by more than 10% between the other 3?

mattpolog40

8% lower than the other 3 cylinders to be exact on the compression test.i did think it was the head gasket just before Christmas and a few people said not to waste my time and money 

kiran_182

Only a g40  not worth the effort anyway....

mattpolog40

Mate I’m not far off selling the dam thing it’s to much trouble 

kiran_182

Ill keep £100 in my pocket 24hrs a day just call me and ill get it collected

kiran_182

But seriously, hg change and a slow rebuild with all nuts bolts and pipes going on firmly and clean can do wonders

mattpolog40

Awsome I will get one ordered then mate thank you it’s always good to ask for people’s opinions in my eyes 

kwijibo_coupe

A head gasket change on a G40 is no harder than any Polo of the same era. In fact you almost couldn't ask for an easier head gasket job. The only expensive and hard to find part is the head bolts. Apart from them everything else is the same. You'll be £100 or so in parts, a good weekends work and it will be all sorted.

I'd advise getting the head skimmed if you do go down the head gasket route though.

mattpolog40

I’ve done the head a few times if I’m honest Infact I enjoy doing it I can give everything a good clean and check everything is clean I’ve managed to source all the parts so looks like I’m good to go.

mattpolog40

Just a quick update cylinders 2 and 3 are at 8 bar and 1 and 3 are just over 11 and a half on the compression test 

kwijibo_coupe

Sounds like the gasket has blown between 2&3 then.

mattpolog40

That sounds most logical as I say just want input just to check before I strip it all down 

mattpolog40

Turns out the bottom end has gone so I’m in need of a set of pistons a g40 bottom end or a 1w bottom end I’ll take what ever is going if anyone knows of anything going please get in touch thanks 

mattpolog40

That’s not a wanted request that’s me asking people to keep theres ears open for parts for me by the way before someone shoots me down for wanted requests ?

dvderlm

Is the bottom end so shafted you'll need rebore and oversize pistons, or just hone and new rings?

mattpolog40

It needs honeing and 2 new pistons but I think I’m going to  struggle to find two piston shoes 

mattpolog40

Don’t know why it put shoes it’s this phone sorry 

dvderlm

030107065AG looks to be part number for G40 piston.

Wonder how they differ from 3F pistons?

mattpolog40

Nice one mate you are a diamond thank you so much erm I’ve not found much info in difference in variations I must admit I’m struggling abit

kiran_182

5 hours ago, mattpolog40 said:

Nice one mate you are a diamond thank you so much erm I’ve not found much info in difference in variations I must admit I’m struggling abit

Probably the indent in the top. AAU ones are quite shallow compared to AAV. Could be for the compression ratio

kiran_182
5 hours ago, mattpolog40 said:

Got the time and money to stroke the engine?

mattpolog40

Cylinder head is perfect got it on the bench it all looks very clean and in good working order.

as regards to stroking this is the 3rd bottom end i will be on so this is getting beyond a joke now money wise 

kiran_182

Has the head been rebuilt? Are you over fueling? Killing 3 bottom ends means something is up