Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.

6n2trndl

hey polo peeps!! I've fitted 6n2 GTI hubs onto my 6n2 1.4 8v and now the wheels are toed in massively ! 

the hole for the track rod end to go into is 10mm closer to the steering rack than the 1.4 hubs and I've now been 2 weeks without my only car trying to figure it out.  so far the only solution myself and the mechanic at the garage doing it while I'm at work have is to put threads further up the track rod and chop the ends off to make it fit but surely there's something were missing ? some part that needs changing???? I'm at a loss and I want my car back from what shouldve been a 20 minute job ?

anybhelo appreciated- we've checked ball joints, track rod ends, checking wishbones soon but everything seems to be the same !!!

kwijibo_coupe

I think I replied to you on Facebook. 

What was the outcome of swapping the track rod ends so they face to the rear of the car? 

kwijibo_coupe

Also have you double checked the bottom ball joints as they are sided on these. 

6n2trndl

yeah man you did and we had a look but the ball joints were exactly the same as the GTI spec replacements as well at the track rod ends are facing the correct way ! 

kwijibo_coupe

The thing is looking at part numbers there is no GTi specific track rod ends or bottom ball joints. The only thing that differs is the hub carrier itself. 

So you must have a wrong part somewhere. Did you swap the ball joints and track rod ends at the same time as the hub carrier? If so have you compared and tried the old ones? 

I'm assuming you took the hub carriers off a GTi yourself? 

6n2trndl

i bought the hub carriers and they are supposedly from a similarly converted polo, I'm trying to use the same ball joints and track rod ends as I had on previously but there must be a GTI specific part to account for the 10mm shift in track rod end position but neither of us can figure out which part that could be ! there are two track rod types for a 6n2, the non power steering one is 50mm shorter which would be too short to compensate for this plus mine IS power steering and so was the one they came off !

kwijibo_coupe

Is there a visible part number on the hub carrier at all?

I've heard a few people do this conversion and never had this issue. Since every 6n2 had power steering (or should have) then all the rest of the steering and suspension components should be the same.

What I'm getting at is, are you sure they are Polo GTI hub carriers? For example mk2 Golf hub carriers are a similar design, look the same but might give you the problem you're having.

6n2trndl

I honestly think this may be the case 

6n2trndl
8 minutes ago, kwijibo_coupe said:

Is there a visible part number on the hub carrier at all?

I've heard a few people do this conversion and never had this issue. Since every 6n2 had power steering (or should have) then all the rest of the steering and suspension components should be the same.

What I'm getting at is, are you sure they are Polo GTI hub carriers? For example mk2 Golf hub carriers are a similar design, look the same but might give you the problem you're having.

cutting and tapping the track rods to fit - will.... this cause anything to go horrible wrong ? in the interest of saving time and getting back on the road quickly this may be my only option but I wouldn't know what to expect or what could bite me in the ass later - aside from having to re-do the track rods and hubs at a later date ?

6n2trndl

the brakes from a known polo GTI fitted straight on and I've already put in new wheel bearings, abs sensors and the discs and everything lines up bar the steering assembly 

received_603040553371271.jpeg

received_603040956704564.jpeg

kwijibo_coupe

That's the thing the Polo GTI used the same brakes as the mk2 Golf GTI 16v. That's what made me think you might have been given mk2 Golf hub carriers.

As for your idea of cutting and tapping further down the track rod, I personally can't see this being an issue. But I'm no expert.