Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
NebulaicToaster

Intermittent coil problem mk2 HZ

NebulaicToaster

I thought this needed a new thread as it seems to be a separate problem. Having now solved my carburettor blockage I've uncovered a new issue. I patched up the battery bay and was doing some coolant related stuff and since then intermittently no power is getting to the coil when I try to start the engine. Using my timing strobe I can see when there's a spark from the HT lead, sometimes nothing.

I've tried two coils I know work so it's not them, tried new rotor arm and cap. It's a very random problem usually solved by unplugging things and plugging back in and waiting.

I think either some water has got in somewhere, I've loosened an earth or the dizzy has gone potentially. I've got a spare dizzy I might try tomorrow, otherwise any idea what it could be? 

My coil is the cylinder one with the three prongs on each side (is the middle an earth?) It's an HZ MK2 bready

Edit: The battery earth goes to the body but also branches off and heads into the cabin if that means anything.

Edited by NebulaicToaster

dvderlm

Yeah, new thread is sensible.

Alternator connections good?

Is there a sense wire from starter motor to coil that bypasses a resistor during starting?

When running coil gets less volts.

What year is the car?

NebulaicToaster

1989 mk2, not sure what you mean by sense wire but I'll recheck the connections.

Looks like it might have been a distributor problem, as I've put in another dizzy I had and seems to have fixed the problem touch wood. Could it be arcing inside which might prevent starting

dvderlm

1989 will have Tci-h hall sender and amp ignition with electronic controlled dwell, not the antique points  system I'm thinking of.

Could be the Hall sender failing, or just poor contacts.

Edited by dvderlm

nige8021

It does sound like classic hall sensor failure

NebulaicToaster

Is the hall sender fixable? I've got this other dizzy in and it's running fine but it would be good to fix the old dizzy as backup. I also managed to salvage some bits off a mk2f my mate had, would his dizzy work on my MK2? Same connector just doesn't have a vacuum advance (mines not connected at the moment as it is)

nige8021

Yes you can replace the hall sensor bit of a fiddly job but doable, think there's a guide in the relevant Haynes manual

• Like 1