Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Elijah

Battery,alternator

Elijah

Hi all

i have a y plate 6n2 polo 1.4 8v

Had it for a number of years and well looked after.

i was out on work visits when I got back in the car to go home and it wouldn’t start.  It wasn’t getting close to starting.

RAC came out and jump started it and all was well.  Initially he diagnosed that the battery was in poor condition, it’s a Bosch battery that I put on at Christmas time when we had the cold spell.  It’s not given a hint of any problem.

We turned car off and got back in to start and nothing, jumped it again and then get diagnosis of alternator not charging.  Drove home 12 miles park car up and then turn engine off, go to re start and nothing.

i spoke to my car garage today who said likely to be alternator but you should have had battery light flashing on dash, i didn’t get that.

the garage recommned that I jump it and leave running and then rev it and remove earth lead from battery if it keeps running it battery if it stops then it’s the alternator.

what are people’s thoughts on the issue and where is the earth lead, my battery is one with a terminal on top with several wires going  the earth lead the back cable with 10amp?

thanks

Saint Jimi

I don't know about your newer polo but on my mk2 the earth lead is immediately obvious as a thick cable coming from the negative terminal and bolting straight to nearby bodywork. 

nige8021

Have a read of this 

It is a common problem that the thin exitation wire going to the alternator can snap so causing a charging problem, but this is normally associated with the alternator warning light staying ON with the engine running

caretakerplus

I DO NOT like the idea of disconnecting the battery with the engine running for two reasons: (1) as you disconnect the battery, there could be quite a voltage spike for a split second - and that's all that it would take to 'cook' the voltage regulator; (2) If the alternator happens to be OK, running it without a battery in the circuit again risks damaging the regulator and possibly the rectifier.

You will get a good idea of the battery condition from its own 'magic eye' (if it has one) or from the way that the starter performs (you already know that the starter is OK, as it worked when you jump started it).

If you get it running from a jump start, follow the guide as Nige suggests to check the alternator.

Regards

Elijah

Hi guys

the RAC guy said that with engine running the alternator was only producing 11.90 amps.

whats confusing is that the car was fine then I got in and nothing, the battery light had not been on at all.

of interest though the RAC said that the battery was in poor health so I swapped it over for a new one however half an hour later the battery light came on and stopped on for the rest of journey home.

based on this evidence I suspect that it is alternator related and have spurced a second hand one ready to bolt on.

Elijah

I’ve not got a multimeter which doesn’t help.

steveo3002

theyre avail from a fiver upwards - get one

dvderlm

alternator 11.9 volts (not 11.9 amps) is worn brush pack, or worn stator, or poor cable contacts condition

Edited by dvderlm
6n not mk2

Elijah

Thanks for the reply I have a garage checking the alternator tomorrow and I have asked them to fit spare one if it needs replacing.