Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Eviljohn

Feelin hot hot hot!

Eviljohn

Hey polo people. Hope you're all very well indeed. 1983, 1043cc breadvan. Just spent a weekend in Cornwall after having my cooling system fixed up. I had no issues while down there but i did on the journey back. I let some pressure out of the radiator, had the heaters going full blast, even took the splitter section off the air cleaner. Still seemed to run very hot. I did pull in at one point on the A38, when i opened the bonnet, expected the fan to be going but it wasn't. It did kick in for about 5 seconds but that was it. 

I'm looking for some advice on the thermostat. Someone has suggested i just take the whole thing out and leave it out to help the coolant flow better. Can anyone recommend whether this is a good shout or not? 

Looking to flush system again as it looks like rusty water again. 

Any other advice or cooling tips would be gratefully recieved. 

Thanks for stopping by and any xp you can impart. Take it easy.

steveo3002

taking the thermostat out is a bodge to get you home

id suggest a new genuine vw stat ( never ever a ecp part)

flush the rad or replace it...theyre cheap to buy , then run it up and confirm the fan cuts in   

kiran_182

Leave the expansion tank cap off and turn the blower on when hot and let it circulate incase of an air block

Eviljohn

Radiator was new in January. I had it in to get the cooling system flushed a couple weeks ago. The guys in the garage flushed the system twice and the rad 3 times. Once with persil. They said it looks like someone had put one of those quick sealants in there as it was all gunked up. Only done a few daily quick trips since then, until this weekend. Did 1.5 hour trip to Cornwall, drove around Cornwall, didn't drive it on Sunday, drove 1.5 hours back again today. Coolant looked gunky again when i stopped and let it cool down so i'm thinkin maybe the big runs worked some more gunk loose? Garage did say it would need another flush before too long. I also have a thermostat that opens at a lower temp if that would help. 

caretakerplus

Did you say PERSIL? (as in washing powder) - I'll bet that took some getting rid of!

I spotted your comments about 'releasing some pressure' - I'm not sure what your thinking was there.

Pure water boils at 100° C at sea level.

Having a sealed cooling system increases the pressure (due to the coolant expanding when heated), thereby increasing the temperature at which the coolant will boil.

Conversely, reducing the pressure will allow the coolant to boil at a lower temperature.

As said above, leaving out the thermostat is a 'get-you-home' measure only, but it might be a good idea to remove it temporarily and flush the system in both directions with a garden hose (make sure that the heater control is set to 'hot'.) - You could even disconnect the heater hoses and flush the matrix separately.

Once that you are sure that the system is clean, refill with 50% coolant 50%water. - Any future top-up should also be 50/50.

Regards

steveo3002

no need for low temp thermo stats etc , its a very simple system thats reliable when in good order

does sound like there could be some filth in the system , would be worth taking the rad out so you can flush it both ways and shake it etc , run the car and repeat until its clear 

Eviljohn

My heater controls are f**ked thanks to a previous owner. I do have a spare set that will fit but i'm unsure on the best way to remove the bad set as it isn't covered in the haynes. 

The guys at the garage actually recommended the persil powder to get rid of quick sealant remnants. Along with at least another session of flushing and cleaning to ensure as much of that gunk had been removed as possible. The coolant i put in was premixed. I did add more water today as it seemed to help. Today was crazy hot on the motorway. Came back on A388 through Cornwall and then A38 through Devon. Both of which, if anyone knows, are a bit hilly. Putting heaters on best i could seemed to keep it from totally overheating, but still didn't cope as well as it did driving around Cornwall on Saturday. 

I will get on flushing it again and adding fresh coolant.

Thanks for advice so far by the way. I will be leaving thermostat in.

steveo3002

is it a genuine thermostat?

i nearly scraped our ford focus due to overheating , tried alsorts , in the end it was a faulty circoli brand stat from ecp.....new ford part and its fine   

Eviljohn

Not a vw intended part, followed a link from an old thread on here. Think it's for a metro or something. Had it ages so i can't remember. It isn't ecp that's for sure. 

As i say, it ran really well on Saturday. I think the long runs have worked some more scrud loose and it may just need some more flushing. Just wondered if anyone had any other cooling tips or hacks as i also had cooling issues with my old mk2 bready. Even swapped out the stock fan for a mishimoto on that one but still ran hot.