Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Vdubhill

Best place to buy replacement fuel tank mk2 polo86c

Vdubhill

Just bought a polo breadvan 1990 model, when I picked the car up it had a jerry can of fuel in and I drove home no issues, went and put 25quids worth of fuel in and now car is leaking petrol out on driveway. Can someone tell me best place to buy a replacement fuel tank from? If I get a tank do I need to buy anything extra? Cheers in advance

powey85

Vw heritage do a tank for that, I'm not sure if they have any in stock, If they don't it can be a pain to get from them. In terms of extra parts it just depends on what your mounting straps are like.

Danny

dvderlm

Search on ebay.de for 'benzintank 86c' and get it sent from Germany.

1990 was changeover year from carburettor to SPI. I imagine yours is  most likely injection, so 'Einspritzer' (otherwise 'Vergaser').

The breather tubes can get quite hard, new jubilee clips. Petrol filler cap and pump/level sender should swap over.

Best to get a new pump rubber gasket.

If you want the new tank to last another 20+ years paint it outside with durable paint like POR15 or Elastomastic, especially the filler neck.

Edited by dvderlm
  • Like 1

kiran_182

Get some adhesive faom too for the top so it doesnt rub on the metal work only needs to be 2 or 3mm in strips 

Deffo paint it. Youll wabt the rear axel right off for acess so good time to do rear brake hoses and maybe the axel bush

dvderlm

I thought 20 years. I Por15 painted my replacement tank  in July 2009 (upgraded from 36 litre) 

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/156953-spot-welding-a-handbrake-mount/

9 and a half years later I've got an MOT fail for leak at filler neck.

I didn't take off the rear axle, but squeezed it through the gap. Maybe that scratched it.

Wish there was a plastic tank. Maybe paint inside and out?

steveo3002

epoxy paint is what you want ....rough up the tank and 2 coats of epoxy , then optional stonechip then gloss 

mines near 10 year old and still nice 

they wont rust inside unless stood up...petrol is oily enough to keep em ok as long as its sloshing around

1vw2many

I done as above check out my build thread.