Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
feeblington

Green machine

feeblington

THIS IS MY POLO,

THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE. MY POLO IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE.

I MUST MASTER IT AS I MASTER MY LIFE. WITHOUT ME IT IS USELESS,

WITHOUT MY POLO I AM USELESS.

But in all seriousness!

It has a sticker for every check engine error. The boot lets in water. My front left tyre is jinxed and will forever have a slow puncture but. It has 4 working doors and a subwoofer that drains the battery if i leave it on overnight.

My plan is to make it work........and preferably tint or block the rear windows so i can hide my shame.

Aswell as replace the...apparently empty shock absorbers...

It spends most of its life doing 40mph down country lanes and im quite surprized how well its done offroad.

My only quibble...is it only has 1...very shit cup holder.

If anyone has a suggestion for modification...useful or just funny im all ears.

Currently my parcel shelf is alpacino

🙂

20190119_111322-1305x734.jpg

20190119_111249-1305x734.jpg

Par

I've just been sprucing up my Polo too! (will hopefully do a build thread soon). Glad there's still people into their 6n2 still in 2019 🙂 I feel a similar attachment to mine though maybe not quite so strongly, that I would write poetry about it :D :D 

• I notice your front badge and grille is Plasti-dipped - you should Plasti-dip the bottom bumper grille and fog grilles too so they match. Made a nice difference on mine, and basically turns 18 year-old plastic into new plastic!
  • Biggest improvement I made though was replacing the headlights housing - made my car look new again!. But mine were very old and yellowed, yours don't look as bad from what I can see.
  • Black/dark side repeaters (though I think you may have already done that in Feb ;) )
  • Seen dark front indicator lenses which may work on your black and green machine, but I'm not a fan of them myself
  • Could Plasti-dip your door handles to carry on the black and green theme, and for a bit of individuality. Especially if you have Plasti-dip left over, can always peel it off if you don't like it 🙂 
  • New dark rear lens cluster (or vinyl tint over those but make sure it's done very nicely)
  • Delete rear wiper blade - who needs to look behind them anyway?! :D 
  • De-badge rear "POLO" or black it out (and black out the rest of your rear VW badge)
  • Buy a stubby aerial or seal yours up so water doesn't get in
  • And maybe some mud flaps for all that off-roading you do :D 

This is just some small stuff (some I've done and some I haven't). You could obviously go full body kits etc but not sure how much you wanna spend!

If your cup holder broke like mine did (front panel bit kept coming off and spring so stiff that it wouldn't push out on its own) - I fixed it with super glue on the front panel (only the clip bit at the back had broken on mine). For the spring, I just used some WD40 sprayed all up in there and worked it in pushing it back and forth. I don't know how long this will stay good for, but it currently works fine and I don't use it that much.

If your mystery slow flat was like mine (on both fronts) and I presume you have this problem even if you get a new tyre. My wheels had two problems: slightly warped so not perfectly round anymore and corrosion around the inner edge. I had the wheels warped back into shape to solve the first issue and my tyres were fine. A year or so later I found myself getting a slow flat again - this is because of the corrosion. You can get it re-beaded for about £30 and that will last for a while (about a year or less), but that gum eventually wears away and you need it done again. Only way I think to properly fix it, is to get wheels refurbed (for about £80 per wheel)

I'm by no means of an expert on cars so take my words with a pinch of salt, but this is just my experience with my 2001 Polo 1.4 16V.

Hope yours has got many more years in it too 🙂 

Par

bottom grille before...

before.JPG.bb082a63135b7d419d066f4af9875dba.JPG

bottom grille after...

after.thumb.JPG.e4b8845440b4e424bbc10e46b19f04c4.JPG

headlight difference...

headlight.thumb.JPG.045c2e0de538a87ee4c218c130621eb4.JPG