Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
dan93

What gearbox for abd swap

dan93

I've been given a MK3 golf with a 1.4 abd that I plan on putting into my mk2f that's currently got a 4 speed box so will need a 5 speed. Whats the best box too run?

steveo3002

any of the choices you find in a mk really....depends if you want a cruiser or a more sporty feel like a gt box

honestly whatever comes along at the best price /known good 

kwijibo_coupe

Use the gearbox that's in the Golf? It will be an 085 anyway, you just need the Polo 5 speed side mount.

I've no idea what gearbox will be in it code/ratio wise but it will probably be very close to, if it isn't already, an 8P gearbox which is the most common mk2/f 5 speed gearbox anyway.

dan93
9 hours ago, kwijibo_coupe said:

Use the gearbox that's in the Golf? It will be an 085 anyway, you just need the Polo 5 speed side mount.

I've no idea what gearbox will be in it code/ratio wise but it will probably be very close to, if it isn't already, an 8P gearbox which is the most common mk2/f 5 speed gearbox anyway.

Wasn't too sure if they were different or not will just have too keep an eye out for a 5 speed mount

kiran_182

Abd box will have g40 ratios and take advantage of the torque

kwijibo_coupe
16 hours ago, kiran_182 said:

Abd box will have g40 ratios and take advantage of the torque

Do you know what gearbox code they use? G40 ratios are the same as GT just with a taller final drive. Whereas gearboxes like the 8P, 8N etc. have long ratios and a short final drive.