Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
foreststu

1977 Mk1 Polo Manila

foreststu

Start of another car. Picked up this car recently which is in need of a bit of work to put it mildly plus in need of a lot of new parts. 1977 Polo L in Manilla Green with Tobacco interior. Here's what I'm starting with, and the start of my parts hunt...

fHWGV89.png

s9DUWHu.jpg

Up0t2qF.jpg

Some panels first; a sill, the floors both sides, tunnel patch, rear valance, patch in the spare wheel well and back end of the rear wheel arches...

8yAdyPw.jpg

Picked up something to help when I get round to the mechanics, an August 1977 dealer workshop manual in English, lovely thing especially as the car is April 1977.

fLHMDL1.jpg

emBR076.jpg

Managed to find a NOS chrome rear bumper from an estate agent in northern Sweden and a NOS front bumper from an Alfa garage on the southern tip of Sardinia so that turned out well - both wrapped in brown paper with the part number on, one with the sticker from the chromer back in the 70's! Picked up some new bumper caps from Heritage and stainless brackets/bolts from Polowerks. Also got some Hella clear indicator lenses for them, the type with the amber insert.
According to the very comprehensive model changes pages on www.polo86c.nl (read using Chrome browser which translates the page) the rear bumper must be an August '74 to March '75 Audi 50 one as after that they changed to only one rear number plate light. That said finding two rear number plate lights has been a challenge (without wanting to pay 60-100 euros each on eBay). The existing single number plate light had melted on the inside but I managed to find a pair for sale on a German classifieds site for 10 euros.
Also picked up a set of NOS chrome wing mirrors, currently only has one black plastic drivers mirror but i'd prefer two.

KGzFQef.jpg

Sourced replacement parts for the front end, Audi 50 grill, NOS type 86 chrome VW grill badge and two boxed NOS RHD headlights even tho my OCD isn't happy that one is Bosch and the other Hella...

KkwK5Nb.jpg

Took a bit of searching but managed to find a sales brochure with my model/colours in it and now have a collection of them for pre-facelift Mk1 Polo's. 
Surprised how many versions they put out, don't know if this was common with earlier/other vehicles?
I doubt I have all the versions but the ones I've picked up are:
- April '76 for '76 model year - 2 models, 4 interior & 5 exterior colours
- August '76 but no model year specified - 3 models, both 14 interior & exterior colours!
- October '76 for '77 model year - 3 models, 4 interior & 6 exterior colours
- August '77 for '78 model year - 3 models, 4 interior & 6 exterior 
- January '78 for '78 model year - 3 models, 4 interior & 6 exterior 
Needless to say it was the multi-combination Aug '76 version which had the combo on my April '77 car but perhaps the brochures were always just a sample and in reality combinations could have been more flexible?
Photo below shows them and the second photo has the combination tables for the Apr '76, Oct '76, Aug '77 (same as Jan '78) then the Aug '76 larger underneath.

K24wTjf.jpg

KD8J7Wo.jpg

Got some rear end parts; NOS alloy Polo badge, pair of Hella postie lights & a the pair of number plate lights plus a new bootlock seal which is camera shy..

l0eBD4I.jpg

Edited by foreststu
  • Like 3

Lovejoy

Good luck with the project, I love this colour, I was tempted to paint my Derby in it.

If you dont already have an Owners handbook I have an August 1975 one, will sell for £15 in postage

• Like 1

foreststu

Sorry for the lack of updates, progress has been a bit slow getting all the bodywork issues sorted to be honest and a lot of it has ended up in the dustpan! Plus issues with the fitment of the existing exhaust & fuel tank for which part numbers seem to be right but fit is iffy.

d1RMKi2.jpg

I have still been building up the parts stash though, most recently a boxed NOS hard-rim steering wheel and NOS trim parts for the leading edges of both the front wings as well as a set of '74-'76 Audi 50 waist trims for the sides - all stainless with a flick up on rear quarter rather than the '75-'76 Polo straight stainless or '76< Polo/50 plastic flick-up types.

zW4yXqS.jpg

Hopefully as things calm down after the summer I'll make some better progress! 

Edited by foreststu
  • Like 2

foreststu

Ok since my last post things have mostly been getting rid of the crumbly and welding the good....

... floors, valance, rear wings...

m2iPLaR.jpg

... inner wings...

xtew1bl.jpg

...and more...

3bR7Rqg.jpg

...unsurprisingly front panel...

Y8VuryV.jpg

...NOS front panel and front wings.

8N3Ey8K.jpg

So after all that I needed a bling pick-me-up so got the brakes refurbed...

hWej5iT.jpg

...and of course, especially during lockdown, I've been buying more parts!

eFI5IYJ.jpg

Metalwork almost done ready for the pre-body strip down, now if I could only leave the house....

Edited by foreststu
  • Like 2

1vw2many

Very good work keep going you be done soon. 

• Like 1

ross_m

I used to own this car in Scotland. I drove it for a year and loved it. Great to see it is finally getting the work it deserved. I didn't have the time due to other projects so I sold it to a mate who had good intentions but he also had to let it go.

Screenshot_20200601_005157.jpg

Screenshot_20200601_005137.jpg

Edited by ross_m
  • Like 1

foreststu
On 01/06/2020 at 00:48, ross_m said:

I used to own this car in Scotland. I drove it for a year and loved it. Great to see it is finally getting the work it deserved. I didn't have the time due to other projects so I sold it to a mate who had good intentions but he also had to let it go.

It looks awesome mate, hopefully I can get it back somewhere near!

foreststu

2020 is a bitch, we can agree on that. COVID-19 sucks.

For this car 2019 was also a bitch. The metal work turned out to be more than my 2019 self anticipated but she is worth it.

Sitrep:

New front panel

Rebuilt both ARB mounts

New front inner wings (both)

New front wings (both)

New bonnet

New battery tray (already done)

New sill (other side already done)

New floors (both sides)

New front jacking points (both sides)

New doors (both sides already done)

Repairs to both inner wings

New rear wings (both)

Rebuilt both rear chassis legs

Rebuilt 1/4 of spare wheel well

Repair boot floor to rear valence strip

New rear valence

New boot lid

BYTTBdM.jpg

PYXoNVL.jpg

Q7qUg5H.jpg

RRWem6P.jpg

PK1GkuI.jpg

Kg1KZJX.jpg

foreststu

Interior cleaned up and primed...

750yAEg.jpg

Sunbeamlotus

Looking good ..... always gives you a buzz when paint starts to go on 

setch

The dog does not look impressed. "put down the spanner. pick up the lead"

Looking good! Is that a new head lining?

foreststu
21 minutes ago, setch said:

Is that a new head lining?

Thanks mate, no but it has cleaned up well. Don’t know of anywhere selling Mk1 headlinings so will be doing a couple of repairs to it. 👍

setch

I will need one at some point so was hopeful you knew a supplier lol. Project is in limbo atm as my mate I bought it of has lost the V5 which he promised to send me. The VIN tag is missing and the scuttle has been cut out so until he finds it i'm buggered

setch

I have found a load of NOS trim I think is for a MK1 polo. Are there any bits you need? Mine doesn't have any and would be too much of a task to find a complete set to convert. 

foreststu
22 minutes ago, setch said:

I have found a load of NOS trim I think is for a MK1 polo. Are there any bits you need? Mine doesn't have any and would be too much of a task to find a complete set to convert. 

I’ll drop you a message mate