Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
cavedweller

oil/air seperator- can I ditch it?

cavedweller

So I've just taken the oil/air seperator off and it looks like you can't open it for cleaning. Looks like a sealed plastic unit. Since I've done away with the standard airbox and plugged off the random hoses couldn't I just make a blanking off plate to bolt on where the oil/air seperator used to go?

I figure it's not a closed oil system of some kind. Seems to me if I blocked it off with a plate the engine crankcase vapours could still breathe as needed by way of the rocker cover vent hose, which I'd probably just route in a convoluted way to the underside of the car somewhere. Would this work?

dvderlm

Top and bottom of the engine have different pressure sources. Top is the oil pump.

Bottom is not really oil pump -it's sucking (except conrod journals and any crank splash) but piston blow-by.

It is intake vacuum that sucks on that breather for bottom of engine..

You could probably clean it with solvent or diesel.

A catch can is a better idea than putting oily mist on the car's underside, driveway or the road surface.

You can have a go at blanking it, but it might come out of the dipstick.

Creating a vacuum below the cylinders helps them fall and rise because there a fewer air molecules to be pushed back and forth in the space above the sump as 1and 4 

alternate with 2 and 3. Whether this makes sufficient difference versus blow-by fumes carrying oily mess into combustion depends

on how well your piston rings still seal and how fast the pistons move. 

Edited by dvderlm

cavedweller

I cleaned the oil/air thingy by pouring a few kettles of boiled water through it and that released a bunch of yellowy gunk so I just refitted it.

Yes I've already had dealings with that breather pipe off the rocker cover. If you leave the hose off everything looks deceptively fine at idle but then when you drive around it spews oil everywhere, so for the time being I've got a bodged pipe fitted that connects from the breather pipe on the rocker cover, across the top of the engine to the crankcase vent at the back, with a few little holes drilled in the horizontal bit along the top of the pipe. Seems to work fine. Any oil that gets spewed from the rocker cover gets redirected back down the crankcase vent and any fumes from anywhere between the two points get vented to the winds beneath the bonnet as I drive. So far it's working fine. No oil spew from anywhere like the dipstick and the engine seems to be happy with it. It's simple but it seems to work.