Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
damunk

Alternator & Starter Motor wiring help POLO 6N

damunk

I have two wires going from Alternator. One goes to the battery positive (thick black cable) and the other is  a single little blue wire that goes to the starter motor. In between these cable there is a plastic clip that holds the cables to the alternator.

I have a thick cable going from starter motor to the battery positive.

I have a thick black cable going from negative battery terminal to the gearbox housing bolt. In between this cable there is a fixing to the left side chassis.

I have a ground cable going from top back of rocker cover engine to the engine bay back wall.

That's it. I'm sure this is how it was before I pulled all the cables out as I have no other cables remaining.

My question is; is this right?

caretakerplus

The thin blue wire is (or should be) the one from the ignition warning light.

Not only does this turn the warning light 'on'/'off', it also initiates charging by passing a small current to the rotor winding.

It is possible that, over time the rotor retains a little permanent magnetism, in which case it may be sufficient to initiate charging, but it isn't intended to do this.

Regards