Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
KOBpolo98

6n killing its self and throwing battery light,

KOBpolo98

Can I get some help guys ? At times when driving my 99 6n will cut the engine and throw on the battery light ? Starts fine with a flick of the key ???? I’m thinking a bad earth but I’ve no idea lol any help ??

caretakerplus

First of all, are you sure that it is a 6N?  If so, they do have a problem with the Hall sensor in the distributor. However, when these start to play up, you generally have to wait 15-20 minutes before you can (hopefully) restart the engine.

The simplest cure for this problem, is to fit a new distributor, but if you are nimble fingered, it is possible to fit a new Hall sensor to the existing one.

The battery warning light will come 'on' if the engine revs fall low enough, but if you are saying that the light comes 'on' whilst the engine is still turning (as it would if you didn't press the clutch pedal or take the car out of gear) then there may well be a charging problem.

Your symptoms might also be caused by a poor electrical connection from the ignition switch - or even be the switch itself that has seen better days.

Intermittent faults are always difficult to pin down, but you could try doing a temporary by-pass of the ignition switch and see if the problem is solved - If it is, a new ignition switch will 

be required.

Regards

Yeti

I'm thinking either the ignition switch contacts or something loose, frayed, or corroded between the alternator, starter and battery wiring.