Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Daniel hunt

1990 mk2 polo

Daniel hunt

Hello everyone,  My name Dan Hunt, im new to this sceen, this forum and new owner of mk2 vw polo fitted with a 1.1litre engine with a pierburg 1b3 carburetor

Ive read a few posts but i havnt found to much that helps me with my problem. 

So heres the problem. 

Yesterday i went to drive my polo and started up right away from cold with out a single issue as normal but was fast idling. Then soon as i pressed and release the accelerator the engine revs drop the engine judders a bit and then fights to stay alive but dies. 

From warmish start it starts up right way without issue again as normal but then soon as revs settle to idle it judders and dies.

So far ive tried cleaning the carb as much as possible without stripping it apart. And ive noticed a crack in the carb mount. And ive noticed the vac lines could need replacing and the fuel lines also which i will do soon as possible.

I believe it must be something wrong with the carb i have some experience with carbs from my 1960 beelte but i know zero about this complicated looking pierburg and have no idea of its common faults and fixes.

Anyhelp or past experience with this would be amazing as i need the car working by next Thursday

steveo3002

the cracked base is a common fault...maybe someone has messed with the carb to cover the air leak it may have caused

alot of people fit a weber as its a easy fix and wont have any more issues

Daniel hunt

Yes it could just be that. Ive ordered a new one anyway. 

What webber is the replacement go to?

steveo3002

not sure which one for yours , i had a 1300 

possibly something like this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-Golf-Derby-1-1L-34-I-Weber-Carburetor-Refit-Kit-for-31-34-Pic-Solex/401701605012?hash=item5d87480e94:g:Ya4AAOSwQZVcNzTa

scan ebay for "polo weber " and see what looks right ..you might be lucky and find a good used one

PHIL SWARBRICK

It may be nothing but the 2E3 carb, and may not be the same as yours, has a solenoid idle valve kept on by the ignition and allows the engine to run at idle. So when this valve fails the engine won't run at idle. A common thing is the fuse fails, no.3 I think, which stops the valve from opening when the ignition is on. I think the purpose of this valve is to cut the fuel at idle when the ignition is turned off. The reverse light is on the same fuse.

Daniel hunt

There is a fuel cut off solenoid on the carb i suppose that could be something to look at. Ive got a brand new one somewhere im sure. But as for fuses all the fuses are good so il test the wiring to see if its good