Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
zob

Exhaust note / raspy stainless

zob

Not so much a problem as a mild annoyance - changed the downpipe/cat comination recently for a new stainless job and it sounds like a bag of spanners on large throttle openings or when idling cold - video doesn't give the full effect but you can hear the diesel-like raspy tapping from the downpipe:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNuLa-CBWpEVlgUjvHZxeur9f0MSG5xt

Just really raspy. Had a hunt around old posts and its most likely just the stainless is harder than the old mild steel pipes and resonating at higher frequencies?

Seeing as its stainless would exhaust wrapping be safe and maybe dampen some of those raspy notes? Just a bit miffed that after all that work getting it running so sweet and efficiently it sounds like a cantankerous old man!

steveo3002

cat view the video but im guessing non genuine part is thinner and more nosiey , if youre sure its not leaking 

zob
2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

cat view the video but im guessing non genuine part is thinner and more nosiey , if youre sure its not leaking 

Hard to tell things by ear but I think you're right - the noise most definitely surrounds the new parts rather than coming from a specific place.

Pretty sure there aren't any leaks - put my hand around all of the joints and can't feel anything when its running (from cold obviously, I'm not made of asbestos) . I'll have another look around them all when I next have it up on stands.