Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
SpaR

085 gearboxes and what oil grade to use?

SpaR

Hey guys,

Just asking what grade of oil I should run on the 085 gearbox on an 6n2? I know the VW stuck 75w90 and the boxes crap out but I've heard people run 80w90 and have had no issues?

I just want my chocolate gearbox to last me.

damunk

This chocolate gearbox everyone goes on about isn't weak as it's put out to be,

If your driving hard for a couple of hours, joy riding/racing hard and not allowing the box to cool down i.e racing then stopping at lights and repeating this then it's the overheating the melt's this so called chocolate box and things start to give way within box.

if your gunna joy ride, do it in spurts.just one or two bursts of full throttle /high rpm ragging then just coast back to where your going allowing box to cool before parking up.

Yeah it's true these box weren't designed to withstand big power, but remember more power, more work then more heat, hence increase wear.

On my last setup I ran 130-135 bhp on 085 gearbox, the first I overheated using first technique of driving then second box i learned my lesson and the 2nd second hand box i still got in and now using it with 1.6 conversion setup.

One further thing is take note when removing failed gearbox is to check oil level in it. 🙂 You might find there's hardly in it lol.

oh by the way i used; Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W Synthetic 🙂

Don't think type of oil will save the box.  Keeping the level correct and the way you drive it will.

Edited by damunk
  • Like 1

SpaR

Thanks! I pretty much just cruise around. Got an estate so guess the weight will murder it. I'm really sceptical of the VW G060 oil since everyone says its really thin. 

Thanks for the reply!