Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
PoloMM

Identifying part in dash

PoloMM

I’m trying to remove the carpet on my 6N and have one final struggle.  

Below the radio and heater, right at the very bottom there is a box attached to the floor by a little bracket.  What is this box? Once I know what I’m looking at I can google to find out how to remove it.

TIA

nige8021

It sounds like the airbag ECU just remove the connector with the ignition OFF and undo the 4 nuts Do Not switch ignition ON with it disconnected as that will set the warning light and you’ll need diagnostic kit to reset 

A5736ECC-D403-4084-8B29-3DAC6ED6EF18.thumb.jpeg.3f33280053aeddd17c95bf987fb9c1a0.jpeg

PoloMM

Thanks Nige.  That is indeed where the part is located however the car doesn’t have an airbag.  Plus it doesn’t appear secured to the floor like in the pic, only to what sits above it.  

I didn’t think to take a pic of it but will do so tomorrow. That will obviously be quite helpful.

nige8021

What year is the car ? as virtually all came with a drivers airbag as standard, there were a few ultra poverty spec early 6N1's without the airbag but they might of had the ECU fitted as part of the standard install, just not fitted an airbag steering wheel ?

PoloMM
6 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

What year is the car ? as virtually all came with a drivers airbag as standard, there were a few ultra poverty spec early 6N1's without the airbag but they might of had the ECU fitted as part of the standard install, just not fitted an airbag steering wheel ?

Yes, it definitely is a poverty spec edition: 6N1 1.0 '97.  That said I've never considered it as such before... it doesn't have air-con and the airbag but that's about it, it has everything I need from a daily banger.

In the end I managed to squeeze the carpet out via the 2mm gap but I am curious about the part now.  Will take a pic tomorrow (though I know I said that yesterday :oops:).

Edited by PoloMM

nige8021

Ok so the chances are then that it was installed as part of the basic install, just not fitted the airbag steering wheel and the relevant slip ring (Clock spring) unit 

PoloMM
2 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Ok so the chances are then that it was installed as part of the basic install, just not fitted the airbag steering wheel and the relevant slip ring (Clock spring) unit 

Hmmmm, interesting.  There is a bracket that attaches to it which then attaches to the tunnel, so without it there would be no way to secure that section of equipment to the body.  I assume it is installed for that reason.