Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
RoyTheBoy

VW polo radio wiring help

RoyTheBoy

Hi I've got an old Sony radio with the wires already cut so have no choice to cut wires on my VW polo 9n3 match 60 2009.

So far I've found 2 permanent live wires and 3 ground wires on the radio harness on the car side, and also a connector with 8 wires on it which I'm assuming is the speaker wires, I've wired one live wire and the main thicker earth wire to the radio, the radio comes on but trying to connect any of the speaker wires up, trying to touch for instance one grey wire on any color speaker wire then the other grey one on all the rest one at a time, still no sound so decided to connect all the 3 earth wires together but still not working. 

And now my remote will not lock the car, I don't know if its a fuse or not? 

Do the speakers need to be grounded or not and how to get the remote locking working again?

Any help will be much appreciated.

nige8021

What was the original radio ? (Alpha/Beta/Gamma or RCD200)  as that will help to give an accurate answer, but there should only be 1 ground (Brown wire) ?

RoyTheBoy

Thanks Nige, I've had to Google the images of those radios, it's the rcd200 one

RoyTheBoy

Most of the speaker wires is showing as an earth too, I use one of those test light with a red led that lights, its dimmer on those but the thicker brown wire lights up brighter on the test light, I'll remove the other 2 wires from the ground to see if I get the remote locking working again, also the red light on drivers door (dead lock light) don't work anymore, I tried turning the key twice on lock and still don't work.

Edited by RoyTheBoy

nige8021

Multi-pin connector 1, 8-pin, loudspeaker outputs

1 -Rear right loudspeaker, positive   Blue wire

2 -Front right loudspeaker, positive  Red wire

3 -Front left loudspeaker, positive  Red/Green wire

4 -Rear left loudspeaker, positive  Blue/White wire

5 -Rear right loudspeaker, negative Brown/Blue wire

6 -Front right loudspeaker, negative  Brown/Red wire

7 -Front left loudspeaker, negative  Brown/Green wire

8 -Rear left loudspeaker, negative  Brown/White wire

Multi-pin connector 2, 8-pin, voltage supply, CAN bus, telephone mute switch

9 -CAN bus high  Orange/Black wire

10 -CAN bus low  Orange/Brown wire

11 -Telephone mute switch  White/Lilac wire

12 -Negative connection, terminal 31 Brown wire

13 -Not assigned  Might have a Black/Red wire ? (12v "S" supply "key in ignition" ) Fuse 10

14 -Not assigned

15 -Positive connection, terminal 30  Red/Yellow wire (12v Live battery supply)  Fuse 51

16 -Anti-theft coding control signal, SAFE  Red/Yellow wire (12v Live battery supply  Fuse 51

Multi-pin connector 3, 12-pin, telephone signal input

1–5 -Not assigned

6 -Telephone low-frequency audio signal input, negative

7–11 -Not assigned

12 -Telephone low-frequency audio signal input, positive

Multi-pin connector 4, 12-pin, CD changer control and CD audio input signals or iPod cradle

1 -Right headphone output signal, positive

2 -CD changer or iPod cradle, left and right channels, negative

3 -Headphone output signal, audio earth

4 -CD changer, voltage supply, positive

5 -Left headphone output signal, positive

6 -CD changer, DATA OUT (data exchange for CD changer control from radio navigation system to CD changer)

7 -Not assigned

8 -CD changer or iPod cradle, audio output, left channel, positive

9 -CD changer or iPod cradle, audio output, right channel, positive

10 -CD changer or iPod cradle, control signal

11 -CD changer, DATA OUT (data exchange for CD changer control from CD changer to radio navigation system) or iPod cradle

12 -CD changer or iPod cradle, CLOCK (internal check protocol for data flow monitoring)

• Thanks 1

RoyTheBoy

Thanks so much for this, I'll give it a go sometime tomorrow.

RoyTheBoy

Just thought, think it only has front speakers as when fiddling around with the balance, left to right, I didn't hear anything in the back, there's no fade, front to back on this radio that I know of, might of connected to wrong wires, I'll see tomorrow.

nige8021

Those are the connections listed for the RCD200 it's only the "Alpha & Beta" that only have front speakers 

RoyTheBoy

Thanks for the wiring, there was a connector with only 4 wires in, there the same colour for the front speakers as described above. The other speaker wire colours are not there, completely different colour wires, there's 8 wires on another connector, 7 wires with one thicker green wire, don't seem like speaker wires as those are the wires I originally tried to connect to.

In the back of my car as its a 3 door car, theres a grill as if speakers are there, I'll check another day for that. When disconnected the other wires from the earth I have my remote locking working again. So I have front speakers all working now. Thanks for your help Nige.

nige8021

How many connectors were on the original radio ? 

RoyTheBoy

It's one big square connector with 3 connectors attached to that one, a blue, orange and black one, I only managed to unplug one of the connectors from that.

Now I need an ariel adaptor as its a square shaped thing.

nige8021

The aerial is a FAKRA connector you will find the adapters on ebay 

This is the connectors on the Alpha/Beta/Gamma the connector labelled 1 is a Green/Yellow/Blue

1477173180_VWAlphaBetaGammaRadios.jpg.eb5c70f8af0707378a39e28c0e389d1d.jpg

This is the RCD200

126864980_VWRCD200Radio.jpg.c19a57634e955eabd7e0d75676bc55a6.jpg

RoyTheBoy

It's deffinatelly the 2nd one rcd200, the layout and fuse location is the same, I've checked on amazon at the fakra adaptors, there pricey for what they are, £8 ish, I'll check on ebay but I'll be cutting and joining wires together before paying those prices.

nige8021

Remember the OEM radio supplies power to the amplifier in the base of the aerial, any aftermarket radio will need a power adapter or the reception will be terrible to non existant!

RoyTheBoy

Loads cheaper on ebay, just bought the fakra adaptor for £2.12

RoyTheBoy

You've lost me, what amplifier would I need to power the aerial? 

Could you post an eBay link to what I'd need, thanks. Not heard of the fakra connection before.

RoyTheBoy

I've found the amplifier now and purchased one, thank you for the help nige, I'd never of known I'd need an amp just for the aerial.

nige8021

On your Sony radio if there is a wire (normally Blue) for an electric aerial use, use that to power the adapter lead for the amp 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-RADIO-ANTENNA-ADAPTER-AMP-Booster-VW-BMW-FAKRA-To-AM-FM-ISO-DIN-Plug-Male/113738723294?hash=item1a7b5b2fde:g:7u4AAOSwNeNcz~ZY

nige8021

Yeah looks like a good one 👍

RoyTheBoy

Thank you, don't want to order wrong parts lol, yours looks better though as slimmer, I'm sure I'll have enough room as it's a single din radio, hopefully my fascia will arrive soon 🙂