Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Samson

MK2f Saloon Project

Samson

Hello all, this is my first post.

I bought a mk2f saloon last september, previously modified by the person i bought it from in the style of the US ski team (i dont know why... but it was fun) 

Anyway since buying it i have done a number of things, namely taking the skis off of the roof and replacing the ski pole gear stick (hahaha) for a normal one.

Things i've also done:

Changed petrol tank, fixed gear linkage, filled rust hole underneath battery (my foot got wet while driving in the rain), service (new plugs and filters all round), fitted rally fog lights

My current issue is electrical. I thought i had a weak battery as it wasn't starting quite regularly, so a while ago i changed the battery.

But this didn't seem to fix the issue and after having it hooked up to the mains for a couple weeks i found a scrap yard near me which luckily had a mk2f coupe sitting there, so i took the alternator off of that one and replaced mine. That seemed to do the trick immediately after, giving the battery charge, yet the charging system warning light has now come on on the dash, where as it wasn't there when i did have issues! I tested it with a multimeter and my tests seemed to show that the alternator was working, but now the same thing is happening, if the caf is left for a day or more then it won't start when i next go back to it.

By the way this is my first car, and i'm learning everything on it, so bear with me if my knowledge is lacking!

71084058_2687506764621009_568569724854599680_n.jpg

steveo3002

a brush pack/voltage reg may well fix the issue , worth replacing on any old polo really

2x screws to fit...check if it looks like this, maybe worth having a spare in the tool box?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-ALTERNATOR-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-BRUSH-BOX-BOSCH-BMW-VAUXHALL-SEAT-QUALITY/273785226095?hash=item3fbedf036f:g:lO0AAOSwOYZeFd5L

• Thanks 1

Samson
16 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

a brush pack/voltage reg may well fix the issue , worth replacing on any old polo really

2x screws to fit...check if it looks like this, maybe worth having a spare in the tool box?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-ALTERNATOR-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-BRUSH-BOX-BOSCH-BMW-VAUXHALL-SEAT-QUALITY/273785226095?hash=item3fbedf036f:g:lO0AAOSwOYZeFd5L

Thanks! I’ve heard of a voltage regulator but I’m not really sure what they do, I mean I guess the clues in the name but still..

Where is this on the car? 

Samson

This is what it looks like at the minute 

075F61E0-FC28-4764-B8CE-910368DD7F34.jpeg

Samson

9719585A-A709-496B-986E-92D981E570C0.jpeg

steveo3002

its a voltage reg /brush pack ...located on the side of the alternator with 2 screws

the brushes wear down with age so may /should restore it and the regulator regulates the voltage as the name suggests 

like i say have a quick look to confirm as some cars have other brand alternators but the one linked is right 9/10 times

• Like 1

Samson
On 18/01/2020 at 11:20, steveo3002 said:

its a voltage reg /brush pack ...located on the side of the alternator with 2 screws

the brushes wear down with age so may /should restore it and the regulator regulates the voltage as the name suggests 

like i say have a quick look to confirm as some cars have other brand alternators but the one linked is right 9/10 times

Thanks for your help! I have ordered a new voltage reg, hopefully it'll fit and i'll be able to fix my issue

Samson

I know it's been a while, and yet, I still have electrical issues Dx 

I fitted the new voltage regulator to the alternator, went for a quick drive and the belt snapped.. so, i went to replace the belt but the factory size didnt fit! This is when i found out that the replacement alternator i had wasnt quite the right fit, for the bracket, so i got a slightly longer belt, which fit (hooray!)

But even with this, if my car is left for a little while, the battery still drains, and now the resting voltage is around 12.0v, which in effect is 50% charged or something...

I dont know what i'm missing here. Perhaps i have some sort of drain on the battery, but that would be the 3rd battery its killed now! and this last one only within a few weeks... i think i need an expert 

Samson
On 26/02/2020 at 17:05, nige8021 said:

Have a read through this https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/335902-testing-your-alternator/   It could be the rectifier diodes in the alternator are leaking so draining your battery

No i haven't seen this, thank you! I'll do a test when i get a chance

Samson

Just an update on the general progress with the car, i've taken the horrible faded stickers off (with a heat gun) and while i was at it took the rear bumper off too.. i like the way it looks! Currently looking into getting a piece of steel tubing to act as a rear bumper as it looks like its missing something

88438106_2678163698962881_5126993127994818560_n.jpg