Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Bar_Ry

RDC 310 DAB upgrade options

Bar_Ry

Hi all, 

My Son has a 2014 Polo 1.2, it has an RCD310 DAB radio installed, and I wondered if I could upgrade it to a flat screen, model 6C0 919 603(Not sure what RCD number that refers to)?

Can I do a straight swap [with a harness adapter] or would I have to settle for a Pioneer/Sony etc?

he also wants a flat bottomed MFSW, but that seems to be a bit more hsssle, thanks in advance for any help

Baz

PS - I’m new here, so hi!

Edited by Bar_Ry
Saying hi

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

The unit you are referring to would not be a straight swop as the 6C it originates from uses a totally different setup, there is a main entertainment control unit in the glovebox so it would need a major rewire, You could upgrade it from the RDC310 to the RDC510 that is a colour touchscreen unit.

If it already has a MFSW then swapping to a flat bottom shouldn't be a major problem. 

Bar_Ry

Thanks Nige8021,

That seems a lot less bother, I’ll see if I can source a 510 DAB to replace it, (does it come in an Apple CarPlay version)? Also, there is a yellow socket in the 510 that the 310 doesn’t have, what is this used for, any idea?

I’d also like to convert the AUX port to USB, is this possible?

He doesn’t have a MFSW as yet, I have been quoted £140 to have the wiring done and a wheel fitted, (I supply the wheel), but they can’t guarantee full functionality; I have been told it will work, it won’t work, it’ll part work, may or may not light up etc. So I’ll probably get him a wheel, get the extra wiring done, and see if it works. There is also the issue that the buttons may not be the right ones, as there are two types, and also need to know if current airbag is single or dual stage ignition, so lots to consider overall, trying not to break the bank.

Only other mod he wants is the newer bumper with the chrome strip

Regards 

71F8B63B-9001-4D20-BD89-6A67FB9889D5.jpeg

0A61772A-12CE-43DD-9859-8C7473F6DF4A.jpeg

Edited by Bar_Ry
Images/extra question

nige8021

In the workshop manual it shows that additional yellow connector and what the pin contacts are for (mainly video) but in the wiring diagrams there is no mention of that connector, so it might be used on another VW model 

To get the USB ability you would need to have the "Multimedia" control unit installed.

General notes
Thanks to the Multimedia control unit -J650- analogue (via AUX-IN entry) as well as digital (via USB or iPod entry) audio contents can be played via the radio unit or the radio navigation system. Units connected via USB or iPod connections can also be operated via the radio unit or the radio navigation system. ID3-TAG and titles also appear on the radio unit or radio navigation system displays.
Note
Since the display ability of ID3 tags and titles on the radio unit or radio navigation system displays depend on the type of audio files used, refer to the → operating manual of the radio unit or radio navigation system and to the → operating manual of your MP3 player or iPod.
The multimedia system control unit -J650- provides an audio input (AUX-IN), an USB input, and an iPod connection (power supply, signal and AUDIO-IN) as an interface. To connect the mobile unit to the USB or iPod interface of the multimedia system control unit -J650-, a relevant specific adapter cable is used. Charging the connected unit is possible via USB or iPod connections." 

Bar_Ry

Thanks Nige,

We have bought an RCD510, should get it today, so thankfully a straight swap, without all the coding / wiring required for a newer one!

Regards

Bar_Ry
On 18/01/2020 at 20:58, nige8021 said:

Hi Nige8021,

I have fitted the RCD510, works fab, but there is no Bluetooth showing up. My Son has the little Bluetooth display unit in it already, so I’m guessing that has something to do with it, image below.

any advice on how to activate the RCD510 Bluetooth please, images below dhow what I mean.

thanks in advance [again] :0)

BFDFA69B-8902-4C95-B67E-4D7C2C0B9923.jpeg

6D134296-0890-4050-89E8-21DE7BF9CF9E.jpeg

nige8021

Is there anything in the setup section bottom button right side ? or it might be something that needs coding in with VCDS ?  I don't have the radio manual to be able to give a definite answer 

Bar_Ry
14 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Is there anything in the setup section bottom button right side ? or it might be something that needs coding in with VCDS ?  I don't have the radio manual to be able to give a definite answer 

Okay, thanks,

I’ll see if I can download the manual for it 

nige8021

I've had a search and there is a mention of having an additional unit for the Bluetooth ?

Bar_Ry

Yes,

It already has a hands-free Bluetooth system installed, I suspect it needs changing to work with the radio rather than the separate system.

I spoke to the seller, and he said he used the Bluetooth with a parrot system, which he is going to send me, but I’ll get someone at VW to take a look before I fit it

Appreciate the quick replies  😎

Edited by Bar_Ry
Update

Bar_Ry
On 06/02/2020 at 10:58, nige8021 said:

I found this https://www.kufatec.com/en/handsfree-system/fiscon-bluetooth-solution/fiscon-bluetooth-handsfree-low-for-vw-skoda-seat-36858 

The Parrot is a good system, I had one in my Skoda Octavia the mki9200 version   

Thanks Nige,

The kit is on its way, so any more issues I’ll get back to you 🤣