Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
bastibum

Carb Conversion - Mk2 Breadvan 1.0

bastibum

I've seen a quite recent post on converting a solex 31 to a weber carb for a 1.3 breadvan.
My breadvan has the 1.0 block and a leaking flange between the carb and inlet manifold. The part number is 052 129 765 , doesn't get sold anymore and doesn't have the same fit as the flange ending with A that the 1.3 engine has (to my knowledge).
I wasn't able to find any weber conversion kits for the solex 31 and a flange that would fit the inlet manifold. Has anybody seen some carb conversion which fits a flange that can replace the 052 129 765 ?
I fear converting the inlet manifold with my rookie skills. 

dvderlm

Is a Febi 02365 not compatible then?

FEBI BILSTEIN  02365 Flansch, Vergaserhttps://www.pkwteile.de/febi-bilstein/1866821

Screw holes look to be same orientation and spacing as a none obtainable 052 129 765  eg SWAG  30 12 0003 

Flange, carburettor - SWAG (30 12 0003) buy cheap online

bastibum

Hmmmm there is a wider space between the pins on the right side (on the picture) of the 052 129 765 B

The febi one looks to be symmetric. Site says that it is comparable with 052 129 765 A

dvderlm

Right, I only looked at the top rubber part.

Do you have an old style exhaust heated inlet manifold?

bastibum

No. Looping at the pictures in that post mine is a water heated inlet manifold with the hedgehog like pins. But not the exact same part as in that post (hole connected to the flange should be circular) . I'll try and find a part number on it

dvderlm

Conversion to another water heated manifold would be easy then.

Polo HK manifold (1.3) with jetted down 2-barrel progressive carb like a Pierburg 2e3 or Weber 30DMTR with 22/22 venturis could probably be made to work with 1 litre.

bastibum

And how about keeping the current manifold but picking a carb that still has a fitting flange in production. Weber 32 TLM? Would that work?

dvderlm

I helped Sean swap from Pierburg 1b3 to Weber TL. It  is great match for the 1 litre engine. Idle can fluctuate in a slightly annoying way, and VW used a stabilisation valve for the Pierburg (an valve on the bulkhead with electric supply and vac tubes to carb).  Weber can't use that as far as I could see. I suspect the flywheel should be heavier. But that aside 32 TLM  drives well and manual choke is better option. 

But I dunno whether the 4 threaded pin dimensions of the flange are the same as what you have, sorry.

Edited by dvderlm