Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Polo1.23dr1977

steering rack replacement guide please

Polo1.23dr1977

Hi all, Drilled through my rack today after trying to remove a broken bolt in the gearbox to subframe captive nut, any info on how to replace please and can I just drop subframe with rack on? or is it easier to take rack out from the side, front or rear? can I get away with just dropping front part of exhaust too? thanks all     Polo 9n 1.2

Pete1

I've not done this job myself, but I believe that replacement does involve dropping the rack subframe down; but be aware that if/when you do so, if it doesn't go back exactly where it was you will have wheel alignment problems. The two holes in each aluminium console through which the bolts that fix them to the chassis go have large clearance margins (17mm holes, M12 bolts). So camber, caster and toe can be mucked up if the consoles don't end up back where they were.

There are some special tools that you can buy to help with this, but possibly just painting around the points where the consoles meet chassis and making sure they go back within those paint marks might do?

Edited by Pete1
  • Like 1