Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
dvderlm

18mm nut?

dvderlm

Toyota Yaris wishbone. Balljoint at bottom of strut. It appears to have an 18mm nut a castle nut with a clip.

Clip pulls out. Nut won't budge.

I have 17mm and 19mm spanners and a tiny adjustable spanner.

Any ideas?

Clearance is useless for socket and breaker bar. Driveshaft in the way.

Mole grips don't feel like they are on straight enough to not chew it to pieces. 

Edited by dvderlm

dvderlm

Haynes explains that the balljoint is riveted in at the factory and rivet can be drilled out then replaced with a tiny bolt.

No help if I can't loosen the castle nut. It needs to be tight in the cone shaped hole or the nut will just rotate in the ball joint. 

nige8021
1 hour ago, dvderlm said:

This thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-TOYOTA-YARIS-99-06-VERSO-01-06-FRONT-LOWER-WISHBONE-ARM-BALLJOINT-L-R-X1/283029966829

But it looks to be part of the wishbone, not removable. No idea where that small bolt belongs?

That "small bolt" looks more like a grease nipple ??

steveo3002

like this where he uses a spanner?  theres a few youtube vids covering it , might need to load the joint with a jack to stop it spinning 

dvderlm

Thanks - I wish it was as easy as the video.

it says No.19 open spanner then he uses the ring end!

It's not 19mm metric that's for sure...

24 hours of WD40 soak. Borrowed a combi spanner (ring and open 18mm) about 8  inches long.

No joy.

Pushed up strut with a jack to force cone tightly in and perhaps release pressure on the nut.

No joy.

Tried a 10inch long  adjustable spanner set to 18mm.

No joy.

Put a piece of pipe over the spanner for more leverage, and still no movement, except spanner slipping off.

Tried to get some rotation hitting the nut with a tyre lever and piece of wood, this broke off one of the sticky-up battlements.

Think it might be nut splitter or hacksaw time. Not enough space for angle grinder unless I remove hub and driveshaft.

steveo3002

id try whacking a normal spanner ,,the shock often gets em cracked

nige8021
13 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

id try whacking a normal spanner ,,the shock often gets em cracked

Or a bit of heat 

dvderlm

Normal 18mm open spanner just wants to fall off before I can hit it. I'll put a micrometer on the dratted nut tomorrow.

1999 Japanese car is not going to have imperial, AF or Whitworth nuts surely?

Not sure how to apply heat so near the driveshaft universal joint rubber. I suppose there's lots of metal to warm up and that will hold the cone tight.

steveo3002

pretty sure it would be metric

cant you use the ring end of a spanner and get brutal?   hammer it or a long pipe?

dvderlm

Micrometer looks like 18mm, but I didn't jack up the car so measurement was taken by feeling for the nut... and I might have squeezed it removing from under car.

Borrowed a foot long 18mm ring/open combi spanner.  Haynes spec says the nut is torqued 98Nm and can be tightened a further 60Nm to let the clip slide into its hole.

So it could be 120 foot pounds tight.

WIN_20200309_19_44_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.6b7035a6fbd84a189e8c7c16b132fe70.jpg

dvderlm

@steveo3002 I already used a 2ft long pipe on the borrowed 8inch spanner, but it wasn't ever sat very securely on the nut twisting in the pipe. 

Wondering if a chisel with its  tip in the clip hole and a lump hammer would get me anywhere, but the clip hole is towards back of car, so not on the best side to swing a hammer.

dvderlm

Had a short go with the long spanner this morning. Think I need to be standing not lying on the ground. Found my micro blowtorch so gave the nut a hot blast with that as it can be precisely aimed. Needs some more lighter fluid.

Not budged it yet.

dvderlm

Replaced one worn drop link, but still not got that nut to move.

I just pushed myself away from the end of the spanner which definitely gripped well.

zob

I can so vividly hear/feel the 'CRACK!' this is going to make when it finally gives. Good luck!