Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Eviljohn

Mk2 polo handbrake early breadvan

Eviljohn

Hi guys. Hope you're all well. 

The previous owner of my current breadvan fitted the wrong fuel tank which resulted in them having to move the pulley that the cable is attached to. As it wasn't done very well, the anchor point snapped and the pulley actually ended up on my drive. 

Mine is the lower setup in the picture attached. Can anyone tell me whether the pulley is meant to be attached the rear axle  as it kinda looks like that on the picture. 

Also, has anyone with this setup changed it out for something else? 

Mine is working at the moment but could be better. Also, as the bolt holding the pulley in place is currently at around 45 degree angle as opposed to purpendicular, not sure how much longer it will last. 

Thanks for stopping by and any xp you can give. 

Screenshot_20200401-211339_Samsung Internet.jpg

dvderlm

The pulley wheel does not attach to rear axle.

I changed to 42 liter tank from 36  and replaced handbrake and cable for mk2 golf twin cables style  setup with a chunky golf mk3 lever. Had to get a different handbrake mount and spot weld it on to transmission tunnel and shorten the cables by brazing new ends on  and get the underfloor guide tubes from another golf and use p-clips with self tappers to keep it all ship-shape.

Actually I think they were Scirocco cables. Even so measuring the cables inner and shortening outer was an exercise in anxiety.

It was not easy. My only regret is not doing disc brake conversion at the same time.

The mk2f solution (at top) would have been far simpler. Pretty sure it does mount on rear axle.

dvderlm

Picture in your exhaust thread of the pulley... yeah that's about 25 degrees off vertical and should be straight vertical. Is it pulling really tight on one rear wheel and hardly at all on the other?