Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
ne14polo

89 breadvan

ne14polo

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

Currently restoring a breadvan with my youngest son - we wanted a project we could work on together.

Only one lady owner - for real. We were lucky enough to find one with full documentation 🙂

IMG_0333.jpg.660662b3efe8b5187dde6e411cd67173.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg.2be6b6e8c7749e848dec4e637697a365.jpg

ne14polo

First job is replacing the seals on the driveshaft flanges. We've got most of the bits, but can't find a supplier for the little cap seal in the middle of the flange. Anyone know a source for these? Are they a common part with mk2 Golf?

ne14polo

Here's a few more photos. This was when another of our son's was helping us to polish up the bodywork. I was amazed how well the old paint came back to life

IMG_1418.JPG.1e6a6ad9d68337e44c72214451ebc995.JPG

IMG_1419.jpeg.d025693311b24bb3953932ffea2e5d52.jpeg

Jim1500

That's incredible how well that came up, looks outstanding!

ne14polo

Cheers Jim

Yes he really knows his stuff and has all the right gear😀

dvderlm

I've called it tornado pink before. Great work.

It's even got the Hella labels on the spot lamps!

Jim1500

You planning wheels or any mods? I see black bumper in first pics then back to red 🙂🙂

Looks like a cracking wee car, many miles on it?

ne14polo

Its got about 70,000 miles on it. Even had the original jack etc, looks like it's never been used.

Sorry, the photos are not in order. We've actually painted the bumpers black, they were red when we bought the car, but were quite faded. It's a Polo 'Match' - does that explain why the bumpers were red?

Wheels & mods - my son will have final say on that, it's his car 😀

We're torn between keeping it original or going for a few mods.

We need to get a few little problems sorted before any mods. Forgot to say, we already did front discs and pads - safety first!

Priority 1 is sorting out the gearbox oil leak.

And then of course there's the Pieburg carb - she's running a bit rich.

ne14polo

Does anyone know of a source for those little cap seals?

I can't find the pesky things anywhere......

Please let me know if I should be posting that request in another section of the forum.

nige8021
8 minutes ago, ne14polo said:

Does anyone know of a source for those little cap seals?

I can't find the pesky things anywhere......

Please let me know if I should be posting that request in another section of the forum.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/PO/year/1989/drive_standart/9/hg_ug/409/subcategory/31000/part_id/3691624/lang/e  No sign of any caps you are referring to ?

Unless you mean # 7A in this http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/PO/year/1989/drive_standart/9/hg_ug/407/subcategory/30000/part_id/3688026/lang/e#sec_7A  

Jim1500
4 hours ago, ne14polo said:

Its got about 70,000 miles on it. Even had the original jack etc, looks like it's never been used.

Sorry, the photos are not in order. We've actually painted the bumpers black, they were red when we bought the car, but were quite faded. It's a Polo 'Match' - does that explain why the bumpers were red?

Wheels & mods - my son will have final say on that, it's his car 😀

We're torn between keeping it original or going for a few mods.

We need to get a few little problems sorted before any mods. Forgot to say, we already did front discs and pads - safety first!

Priority 1 is sorting out the gearbox oil leak.

And then of course there's the Pieburg carb - she's running a bit rich.

Cool, yeah match and couple other models were colour coded, wheeltrims too! Looks better black imho but hard to know whether keep original. Pierburgs are great when running right (have heard them referred to as poohburg). It's a great solid starting point, keep the pics coming.

ne14polo
5 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Hi Nige, thanks for replying.

The part we are looking for is the bit being levered out in this photo:

image.png.8649a9a8ef688c28fc8b6efa3b74b8a5.png

ne14polo
1 hour ago, Jim1500 said:

Cool, yeah match and couple other models were colour coded, wheeltrims too! Looks better black imho but hard to know whether keep original. Pierburgs are great when running right (have heard them referred to as poohburg). It's a great solid starting point, keep the pics coming.

Will do, cheers!

nige8021
50 minutes ago, ne14polo said:

Hi Nige, thanks for replying.

The part we are looking for is the bit being levered out in this photo:

Well as you can see there's nothing like that shown in the parts listing, so might be something a gearbox rebuilder has fitted ??

ne14polo

Nige, thanks so much for your help.

The explanation is - I'm an idiot!

A while ago I found some info on someone doing the seal replacement on a Golf with an 020 gearbox, and bookmarked it thinking it would be useful as a guide when we came to do the Polo.

That was a while ago. I guess in the intervening time, I forgot that it wasn't a Polo (how did I do that!?)

Our box is an AKY (we are lucky enough to have the original service schedule)

IMG_0339.jpg.dfdbb8ba25414ac132b28ca872f8ea8b.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg.2bd8954b7d8c5c37e3f09a0ca6c3a4e2.jpg

So obviously we don't need those parts, so we are all set now. 

(Well except that the place I ordered the actual flange seals from is out of stock so we need to re-order those 😄)

Thanks again for your help